Currency trading (December 4th > 8th)

5 min charts

Baruch said:
But it came back again - again. :eek:

Baruch, is your chart like this where stop is set away from entry bar for entries. (My trade is now closed as per the screen shot). Last couple of days were not good to me.

Attachments

• weds.JPG
    weds.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 193
neil said:
Baruch, is your chart like this where stop is set away from entry bar for entries. (My trade is now closed as per the screen shot). Last couple of days were not good to me.

I use a line chart, not a bar chart.

The BB worked OK today on euro. ;)

Next hourly bar has printed, but another hammer, which is not so good. Uncertainty in this area. Euro hard up against yesterday's low but not broken through.

pnf chart triggered short at 9625. stop above 9700. hope for teh best and see what happens.....

The slightly worrying thing is that over the last 5 days, actively managing my positions has cost me a lot of money. If I had set orders at the start of the day and come back at the end I'd be just about square. This does buck the long term trend as well. Actively managing positions (trailing stops, resetting orders) normally works much better.

My breakout system took a losing long this morning and is still currently short. It's had 8 losers in a row now so we are about due for some good moves!

a_gnome said:
My breakout system took a losing long this morning and is still currently short. It's had 8 losers in a row now so we are about due for some good moves!

I'm not overly concerned long term it's the short-term carnage on my capital which concerns me.

a_gnome said:
...my backtest had a sequence of 7 consecutive losers and they reckon to account for a doubling of this!...now that would smart!

I'll cast off the coats of lurkerdom for just a second.

I'm a learner, confined to dummy trades, however i'm trying to learn everything I can, so I follow what you guys do, tryin' to pick up the vibe.

I don't know if this is of any help, but ever since I signed up for a free week of commentary and analysis from the elliot wave people, they've been rather annoyingly filling up my inbox everyday with about one million wave counts.

This is the one that they sent yesterday.
As I said, I don't know if it'll help, but there's nothin to lose I suppose.
Sincerely + Good Luck
Stef

EURUSD: Volatility, Anyone?

By Vadim Pokhlebkin

Here’s what a good friend of mine – a forex trader with 11 years of experience – once told me:

“I rarely trade in December. Many traders are off on vacations; others have already made their profits for the year and are sitting tight, refusing to take any risk in the remaining weeks. As a result, the forex markets thin out, making it easier for big players to push the prices around. Trading a trendless market is very difficult, so come December, I scale way back.”

Well, another December is upon us, and once again I see my friend’s point. Over the past three weeks, the EURUSD has covered an incredible distance of 600 pips: from $1.2750 all the way up to $1.3350 (and counting). It's now just 2 cents away from its all-time high of two years ago.

Of course, after hitting that all-time high of $1.356 in December 2004, the EURUSD tumbled down for a whole year. Things are different this time around, say forex analysts. Maybe, but that's not the point. Regardless of whether or not the euro can hold its recent gains, one thing's for sure going forward: volatility. Remember how wildly the EURUSD swung last December? Some days it would easily cover 100+ pips in each direction, and this year should be no different.

Strong volatility is all the more reason to rely on Elliott wave analysis this time of year. Prices may swing more than normal, but wave patterns in the markets remain intact. Case in point: the EURUSD forecast our Currency Specialty Service published last night (Dec. 4). "Topping" was the key word we used, and for good reason: See how the ongoing rally shows only 3 waves so far?

fofo%2012-5-06.gif

As you know, an Elliott wave impulse has 5 waves. That's why, if our analysis is correct and wave 3 is indeed nearing completion, what should come next is a strong pullback in wave 4. Just how far could it drop? We do have a few Fibonacci-calculated targets in sight for the EURUSD, but since volatility will likely persist as the year-end approaches, this is a time for caution…

ouch, ouch, ouch. Out for max loss of 75 pips: did not expect it to so quick (mind you, the pain is the same quick or slow). Expect it wil reverse and head south again now im out....

dewi141 said:
ouch, ouch, ouch. Out for max loss of 75 pips: did not expect it to so quick (mind you, the pain is the same quick or slow). Expect it wil reverse and head south again now im out....

Very brave of you to post your loss,I am sure you'll make it back.......

Anyway, in my humble opinion it's normally NOT a very good idea to take BO trades in a NFP week.

Patience is the key.

...i have the intraday bias still short, so i'll be in off a breakdown of this hour's low, if it forms an inside bar. With 15 mins to go, looks like it might. Did this yesterday for an overnighter and worked well.

JER08 said:
Very brave of you to post your loss,I am sure you'll make it back.......

Anyway, in my humble opinion it's normally NOT a very good idea to take BO trades in a NFP week.

Patience is the key.

Thanks and it's a fair point (especially as though it seems it was the strong ADP emplyment report which triggered the selloff which triggered my short...).

But i am trying to just follow the signals and remove my discretion from my trading. (Especially as my discretion is screaming at me to short teh pound against everyhting with all that I have - lol).

Historically, 50% of the signals are failures (losses between 25 and 75 pips), most of the winners are small, and a small percentage are stellar performers. I have to keep reminding myself of this fact - especially when I get whipped as i did today.....

I hope that no more signals will be geneated before 1.30pm friday, but if they do, then ill have to take them and keep my fingers firmly crossed....

cheers

ChowClown said:
...i have the intraday bias still short, so i'll be in off a breakdown of this hour's low, if it forms an inside bar. With 15 mins to go, looks like it might. Did this yesterday for an overnighter and worked well.

you could well be right. i see a nice downward channel

got a short signal here. Dont like shorting it at this level much but gotta take the signal. short cmc at 1.9657. tightish stop. we'll see.

ChowClown said:
..stop to b/e before bed. 9677.