US Indices Intra-day Trading for August 2003

Well said rossored. I enjoy both Sunseeker's and rglenn's contributions. They use different methods but both seem to know what they are doing.

Blondeluvva has contributed little to this board and so far it has all been negative. Perhaps he should stick to lurking until he has something sensible to say.

Thanks for that BigBusiness

But I am not competing against Sunseeker at all.

Is bank balance is alot bigger than mine - so you know he has and awful lot more experience than I.

I am just trying to trade and enjoy it at the same time by just a few assumptions that many others can do also.

Remember the market can only go 3 ways so if you look at it that way you can see why someone may be able to make a good guess quite often.

Where is Tom?

Help me out here!!

rglenn,

Are you now saying that you just guess where the market is going as opposed to making an informed opinion?

Aha, you've hit the nail on the head there RGlenn : my suspicions are confirmed, and I quote :

"Remember the market can only go 3 ways so if you look at it that way you can see why someone may be able to make a good guess quite often."

Guess? You want to guess? You're a lot braver than me and most others on this board, I'd guess. Myself, I prefer to think I have an edge.

Guys, Tom hasn't got only trading, he also got other things to do, and also as the chief strategist, im sure you know the involvements.

by the way the indexes look very strong.

When I am having fun yes I do guess - when I am actually trading it is totally different.

Rosso and Chartman

I hope you do not think my post is in some way a criticsm of SunSeeker. I have the utmost respect for someone who is bold enough to make such predictions.
Perhaps clarification is needed:
CM will occasionally declare his trade direction but I am assuming that it is based upon the Dow startegy document written in conjunction with NB?. I can follow that [well mostly] as people who use that sytem generally give the indicator e.g. PD or ND etc. Superb commentary.

Sun is brave enough to declare the path at the beginning of the day and generally comments on trading throughout the day. That is also exteremely useful althouugh I clearly have some homework to do on how the path is arrived at, assuming the information is available.

Clearly 'rglenn' has his followers but there does not seem to be any bakground information available. All I have seen is 'its going up..' or 'its going down' or words to that effect. Clearly this is based on his own analysis system. I would welcome more inforation on that if it is available. That is what my last post was about.

FInally Rosso
I agree if Sun [or Tom?] only ever sees criticism he is just going to say 'what's the point' and stop. I don't want that. I doubt if there is any perfect strategy. What we/I need is one that is right more that it's wrong. It looks like he has already got that so criticism of the failures in that context is invalid.
If you are reading this Sunseeker keep up the good work.

rglenn said:
I am just trying to trade and enjoy it at the same time by just a few assumptions that many others can do also.

[/B]

Forgive me if I am wrong but isnt enjoying yourself and having fun the same thing???

Right, I think thats where we differ. I treat my trading as a business, not fun. If I happen to enjoy my afternoon, then thats a bonus, but I regard myself as being "at work" at the moment.

I would nontheless be interested to hear about your spreadsheet technique, but as I have already enquired (as has one other) I dont imagine it will be forthcoming : fair enough, thats your choice, its your "technique" (or should that be guess?)

Anyway, I dont want to get drawn into another pointless argument, and it strikes me like you've had (and lost)enough of those already this afternoon. ;)

WJE, you misinterpret my comment, it was not directed at you at all.

I think it is all about probabilities. There are times when it is more probable that an index will go in one direction. Tonight I consider it more probable that the Dow will go down 50points at some time tomorrow than it normally is. This is based on observations I have made and comments from other traders.

I have worked out that on a normal day over the past 3 years there is a 55% chance of a 50 point fall but I think tomorrow that chance is increased.

But don't take any notice of my predictions. I can change my mind in an instant and sometimes I use stops but other times I don't so it is a risky way to trade. And as a well respected member of this website once said, my trading method is probably doomed to failure.

BigBusiness

Ooh yes I hadn't thought of that approach. Compile a set of statistics over the last few years. As I said you only need more wins than losses to succeed so maybe that has some mileage. When you worked out the 55% statistic did you take into account the general market trend. i.e. was the down percentage higher when the markets were falling [over the last 2 years for instance]

I don't guess, I don't predict, I don't expect. That way, I don't get caught out. I did that once a long time ago and lost my shirt. Why do I sometimes predict? Two reasons, I get a bit of street cred if I get it right ( and it makes me smile) and secondly, there may be some readers of my analysis that find that sort of thing makes for a bit more interesting read. I just hope they don't bank on it. I'm sure 99% of peeps here wouldn't..... About the only thing I'm prepared to predict is a 3pk Nd top out. How clever is that? Not very. It's far more important to educate people into how to analyse charts for themselves and let them decide if it's up or down. Saying we're going up(down) tomorrow ( or in a minute)without showing reasons, serves no purpose at all in the furtherance of one's lust for learning/self improvement.
Why do people declare they have a secret trading plan that delivers "X" refuse to divulge that secret? To instill jealousy? To invite adverse comments? Pass......
This is not a pop at anyone, just my own personal viewpoint. Those that do it with success, deserve their rewards.

:cool: I've got a vote :cheesy:

Attachments

• overlay18aug.gif
    overlay18aug.gif
    50.7 KB · Views: 609
I have attached the spread sheet if anyone wants a look. There might be errors so please check it. I am not very good with excel and this is a bit basic.

edit:- I hadn't updated the results section but now it should be OK.

Last edited:
BigBusiness

Oh blimey more work. Jus' kiddin' that's great I'll have a lookat it over the next few days and if I can see any significant, and useful, trends I'll get back to you.
How can I give you a vote? It doesn't seem to work!

With regards to Sunseeker not posting here recently.
I for one feel that for a guy to post Daily on here his expected 'path' for the day and then receive some pity unfavourable remarks is enough to drive anyone away.
To be perfectly honest, why should he keep posting ?

Here is a bit more information about the Dow spreadsheet. I don't use it for trading. It just helps me work out when the odds are more or less favorable.

The highlighted percentages show:-

+50, the % of times the Dow goes up at least 50 points from the previous close

-50, the % of times the Dow goes down at least 50 points from the previous close.

Both, the % of times the Dow goes both up and down at least 50 points from the previous close.

(+)(-), the % of times the Dow goes both up and down at least 1 point from the previous close.

One way, the % of times the Dow goes only one way from the previous close.

H/L 20 close, the % of times the Dow closes within 20 points of the high or low of the day.

Inside 20%, the % of times the Dow closes within 20% of the high or low of the day.

Here are the conclusions I drew after 851 trading days:-

From the last 851 trading days. From the previous days close:

504 days reached at least +50 points

529 days reached at least -50 points

202 days went both up and down at least 50 points

95 days only went one way, averaging a 154 point move

The average rise was 83 points

The average fall was 93 points

In conclusion,

In the last 851 days, the dow has from the previous days close:

Risen at least 50 points 59% of the time

Fallen at least 50 points 62% of the time

Gone up and down 50 points 24% of the time

Only gone one way 11% of the time

Like I said before, my excel skills are poor and it is worth checking the numbers for mistakes. This is not a guide to trading, just some numbers that I find interesting.

Edit:-

I hadn't updated the results on the spread sheet so I have attached an updated version.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was Sunseeker who made this observation but the Dax is holding up pretty well - therefore the Dow should be on a upward path this afternoon before a steep fall.

Use you charts and technical analysis as I am not versed in these to show charts etc as Sun does.