Simon Maelzer's "Day Trading The Indices" Thread

I worked in the same office as him back in 2008, but didn't really know him as I was new and worked the European morning and afternoon, where as he worked the US session into the evening. I haven't got much to add beyond what was written in the press after interviews with Reuters and Business Insider. He definitely looked like a Zen Trader with iron focus on the job. Had a modest screen set-up compared to most other big size traders.

Last edited:
Hi again Guys, been busy this end with a variety of things.

Did a trial vid with my handycam - trying to find a quick way to upload to youtube that doesn't take two hrs (it's 1.5gig) - don't worry regular videos coming soon.

Also been working on an intra-day 10 tick model to complement other time scales in the overall fractal-layer model. See image. Can you guess where you should be long and where you should be short in today's ES session?

Simon

Attachments

• 10 tick es model.png
    10 tick es model.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 252
Hi again Guys, been busy this end with a variety of things.

Did a trial vid with my handycam - trying to find a quick way to upload to youtube that doesn't take two hrs (it's 1.5gig) - don't worry regular videos coming soon.

Also been working on an intra-day 10 tick model to complement other time scales in the overall fractal-layer model. See image. Can you guess where you should be long and where you should be short in today's ES session?

Simon

Camtasia my friend, it's the way forward £100

Well the handycam footage is Ok

The good thing with a camcorder is that you can pan from screen to screen as I'm running two PCs side by side so you get a real POV view from the trading seat where as screen capture doesn't pick up as much.

downside is that camcorder can be a bit shaky, but it his HD. Maybe my anti-shake skills will improve

And it's defintely better than Periscope which is a narrow screen.

So will look to uplaod a test video and take it from there - just trying to compress a 1.5 gig vid for youtube upload - currently is says three hr to upload - anybody got any tips?

Well the handycam footage is Ok

The good thing with a camcorder is that you can pan from screen to screen as I'm running two PCs side by side so you get a real POV view from the trading seat where as screen capture doesn't pick up as much.

downside is that camcorder can be a bit shaky, but it his HD. Maybe my anti-shake skills will improve

And it's defintely better than Periscope which is a narrow screen.

So will look to uplaod a test video and take it from there - just trying to compress a 1.5 gig vid for youtube upload - currently is says three hr to upload - anybody got any tips?

You will need to verify your youtube a/c for video longer than 15mins

OK gang,

Don't laugh - my step into the world of video production
To keep the thread flowing I have uploaded a test/pilot/experimental video that is actually split between 3 videos because of size.

The video is designed to introduce myself and basic trading style.
I am using my Microlot account to start with to see how I trade whilst filming and doing commentary.
I will start small and slowly build in size.

I may actually stick with the camcorder method as I use two PCs plus I have not got a lot of time to do fancy editing etc. Plus it is easy to just pick up the camcorder and hit record when I have a trade setup. Will try and get a tripod.
But you should still get the gist of what I'm doing.
Remember I am doing this in the spirit of honesty, transparency and education with a tinge of free publicity.

The videos should get better with time and so should position size.

And finally don't forget, trading is my second income. I am primarily a Global Macro Strategist.

Cheers,
Simon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Sk4eS5LgM

Interesting videos, thanks for posting. I have a variety of questions... from an unabashed retail trader.

The handy cam setup works OK - although sometimes its not clear as a viewer where on the screen I should be focusing my own eyes as you're not always moving the mouse cursor over the specific area of the screen(s) you're discussing. But as first intro videos they serve the job pretty well - I think future videos should be done by more specific software - if only for the speed and simplification of uploading the final video to youtube.

You mentioned you use ProSpreads for "depth of market" - is 'depth of market' another way of saying volume?

Looking at ProSpreads site, would I be correct in thinking that ProSpreads is a spreadbetting company for the "pro traders" i.e. those that don't wish to go through a market maker such as IG/Capital Spreads/etc and want to use more standard professional trading software/interface but make money "tax free"?

I also notice ProRealTime for the charts - is that just a standard subscription to PRT and then plugged into these you have your ProSpreads live data feed? Are those fractal indicators of your own design? Did you at any time try automating trading against them?

How come you are focusing on the macro weekly timeframe for your business rather than day trading, which I guess you started out doing at Futex? Were you totally green to trading before arriving at Futex back in the day?

Finally, you stated in your first posts that this thread wasn't just for passing the time of day, so what exactly are your commercial intentions?

Hi themarketblueprint,
Interesting videos, thanks for posting. . .

. . . The handy cam setup works OK - although sometimes its not clear as a viewer where on the screen I should be focusing my own eyes as you're not always moving the mouse cursor over the specific area of the screen(s) you're discussing. But as first intro videos they serve the job pretty well - I think future videos should be done by more specific software - if only for the speed and simplification of uploading the final video to youtube.
I second f2calv's comments on both counts.

Finally, you stated in your first posts that this thread wasn't just for passing the time of day, so what exactly are your commercial intentions?
Allow me to answer this for you if I may. I understand why f2calv has asked the question as you mention your commercial interests in the video as well. Unless you pay to advertise (e.g. the skyscraper and banner ads), then you can't post anything on T2W that constitutes advertising and/or is designed to direct traffic to your commercial site. End of; it's that black and white. If you haven't already done so, please read the Community Constitution, paying particular attention to the section headed 'Vendor Policy'. Sorry to be so heavy handed, but it would be a shame if someone reported you and the Mods were forced to take action - which may result in a ban. When it comes to vendors on T2W, think in terms of athletes and performance enhancing drugs. I tell ya, Paula Radcliffe has it easy by comparison! So, in answer to f2calv's question, you have no commercial intentions (unless you want to pay to advertise). ;)

I'm enjoying your contributions thus far and looking forward to seeing how the thread develops.
Tim.

f2calv - some good questions, will try and cover them for you.

Will certainly aim to improve production with some quick edit software, a steadier hand and more emphasis on what I'm talking about with mouse cursor.

Depth of Market is more liquidity - how many potential buyers and sellers there are at each level
Volume, rather the amount of transactions that actually took place at any point in time - whether that was a micro second ago or ten years ago.

Yes, Prospreads is a spreabetting company based in Gibraltar, but their platform is very professional and the only one to my knowledge that provides the DOM or ladder.

I really like it as very easy to click n trade and place stops, cancel oredrs etc. Plus, you trade the mkt price less a small commission.

The microlots are synthetic - so Prospreads are the marketmaker. But they don't screw with the price and fills are good.

But if you trade actual lot sizes with them, then they offset each trade in the actual marketplace - you can see this by placing a full lot trade on their platform and then see your order in the real market on another platform like MD or CQG.

For full size lots I trade through AMP futures currently using Market Delta and CQG data feed

ProRealTime - for transparency reasons - I have a partnership with them. But, yes I use the standard platform with subscribed market feeds. I have used PRT since 2008 - brilliant platform that is great for creating the type of models I do.

All the fractal indicators or models are my own proprietary work.

I was daytrading on and off before Futex, but that was when I really got serious about it.
I was already living in France for more than two years when I took the job with Futex, but realised France was where my heart was, so left to come back an live with my now wife. Probably not the best financial move, but I'm more than just about money and I prefer living in the sun!

Global Macro - I love it. It's one of the biggest games in town and I always swayed towards top-down analysis. After 2008/9 when so many suppose experts/ professionals lost huge chunks of their clients money, I thought there could be a business opportunity for a research service that advised on subtle risk, building risk, contagion and cascade risk on major financial instruments and join all the pieces of the jigsaw together (my twitter feed gave some hints of pending risk prior to the recent sell off) and my actual research work even more so - I'm a big proponent that most economic/financial market storms are forewarned in the data. With my models, they will never fail to pick up all major bull or bear markets. But, obviously they won't predict sudden exogenous events that come out of the blue - you can't predict that stuff.

I set up my reserach service also to build a track record and maybe one day turn it into a hedge fund.

I prefer spending most of my time doing GM work with a couple of hours a day if I have time to trade intra day futures - I like to keep developing my skills in this area. It's very much like on-line poker which I also play. There is a lot of cross over in the skill set - eg getting the read of the market or table, detecting strength/weakness, waiting for the right setups/opportunity, hitting it hard when the probability favours, sizing down when you see nothing, standing aside when there is nothing and CHIP STACK management and the PSYCHOLOGY of the money game!

No, I have not managed to automate my approach as it involves multiple different functions that are stochastic and somewhat still ambiguous in their output. I don't have the programming skills to do this at present.

My commercial interest - can't talk about on this forum because of the rules.

Hope that answers your questions,
Cheers

Simon

Last edited:
Tim,

Just saw your post, I'll make sure there is no future reference in video or other to my businesses.

But I take it you are allowed to post links that are not related to yourself?

eg I can talk about ProSpreads or Market Delta?

Simon

ps can you please send me some details on advertising if possible?

email: [email protected]

Hi Simon, thanks for sharing. I too part time trade the Dax intraday. I use IG index during the European session (no out of hours stuff) I cross reference their price quotes with Advfn & Bloomberg (which they also use as their main price base) & I will periodically check price history with the likes of Yahoo (simply as another source), as we all know SB price is synthetic, but during normal hours they behave to a degree, I say to a degree because there will be schizoid days where they wander so far from dma that I've called them to ask how we are supposed to do business with them.

Can you recommend a good rolling per second price feed ? I don't really need a chart, just an independent price quote.

Good points made re the reading of the market, I have spent a long time learning to read inducements & traps. Read it wrong & the rollovers turn into pullbacks, or the pullbacks turn into a one way trip to the basesment etc. The bugger is to spot those tricky little prods & carrots.

Hope to see more of your posts

Hi tokyojoe,

For data, CQG and Kinetic are both very good providers of tick data straight from the exchanges.

Then you view the data via a DOM - many good ones out there like MarketDelta, CQG, Trading Technologies, Ninja Trader, Trade Station, Photontrader

Spread bet companies (excluding prospreads) are good in "normal times" but when things get volatile you often don't know where you stand - hence best to have the actual market data as well.

It's a battlefield out there!
Simon

Hi Simon,
. . . I'll make sure there is no future reference in video or other to my businesses.. .
(y)

. . . But I take it you are allowed to post links that are not related to yourself?
eg I can talk about ProSpreads or Market Delta?. . .
Yep, that's fine. Here's what the CC says:
"2. Mentioning other Web sites
2.1 You can mention, link to, or discuss other Web sites that are of interest to our members, as long as they don't violate any of our guidelines. Please don't use our community to generate traffic for another trading community. We'll delete posts that mention or link to our competitors for the sole purpose of encouraging our users to participate elsewhere."

. . . ps can you please send me some details on advertising if possible?
You'll need to be in touch with our colleagues who look after that side of things; see the panel entitled 'Advertising & Sponsorship' on the About Us page.
Tim.

Hi tokyojoe,

For data, CQG and Kinetic are both very good providers of tick data straight from the exchanges.

Then you view the data via a DOM - many good ones out there like MarketDelta, CQG, Trading Technologies, Ninja Trader, Trade Station, Photontrader

Spread bet companies (excluding prospreads) are good in "normal times" but when things get volatile you often don't know where you stand - hence best to have the actual market data as well.

It's a battlefield out there!
Simon

Thanks Simon, will check them out over the next couple of weeks.
I have certain days where I can concentrate 100% on the price flow throughout the am & pm sessions. All depends on what else is going on around my own personal circumstance.

Good luck if you are in today

tokyojoe - I am similar. Trying to fit in a couple of hrs day trading most week days. I always have a lot on: global macro work always on going, a young child to bring up, a dog, a garden, house, and the odd surfing session and some fitness. A good balanced life though - which I think is good for the trading mindset.

For that reason I like the es mini contract because it trades around the clock with good liquidity from early a.m. Europe till night time Europe.

And my models highlight multiple opportunities every day in whatever market conditions as they are mathematically based as opposed to arbitrary trend lines or lagging indicators.

Have a good weekend everybody,

Simon