US Indices Intra-day Trading for August 2003

jikes, I am bored, shouldnt have had all that champagne and cocain for breakfast and prostitues for lunch ( just living up the perception of people working in the City )....must dash, it is my shift down at the soup kitchen

I think August is a bad month for trading as most traders go on their holidays. Volume is normally light in August but with yesterdays power cut it looks like lots of people are having a long weekend. I don't like this low volatility and can't wait until it is back to normal.

BB, I tried to give you a vote to counter all those bad ones, but it wont let me....anyway, I am now REALLY GONE

what an interesting day... NOT :confused: .... therefore had loads of time to prepare for the overlay and so for what it's worth, here it is in record time :cheesy:

Attachments

• overlay15aug.gif
    overlay15aug.gif
    50.8 KB · Views: 306
Interesting day :rolleyes:
I can't remember the last time I refrained from trading.

Nice weekend

sun,
today's COT for S&P
Large traders net short 30,428
Commercial hedgers net short 57,353
Small traders net long 87,781

Looks as if small guys may be left holding baby again.Who's pushing it higher..hedge funds??
If commercials need to cover we could shoot higher...on the other hand if hedge pull out we could tank....interesting times.Then again it would fit in with your analysis....sharp rise then BANG...

Nice weekend to all

Sunseeker, could "Jack of all aspects and master of the game" be a fair motto for the successful Dow player?

waqr,
Commitment of Traders is the underlying current positions of S&P contracts.It is compiled every Tues and published every Fri.
Interesting to note that commercials were net long 20,000 a few months back to net short 57,000 now.If these positions have to be bought back the market could hit higher levels in quick time.Then again they may just add to them.....worth keeping an eye on in coming weeks
A big battle ahead I think....

Cheers

Steve

Dont forget this is a zero-sum game. Commercials being long will mean that large traders and retail will be net short.

I note that Commercials had been net short on the run-up since mid-March!

spoon,
the big guys are short,and increasing those positions to a size similar to the 60,000 short at start of year.IMO this market is due a big move,whether up or down depends on whether these guys cover or not.

Large traders net short 30,428
Commercial hedgers net short 57,353
Small traders net long 87,781

Zero -sum game.....if you add these figures together you'll get 0

Cheers

Interesting out-look for the markets on bloomy by tom :D
I think sarah liked the double bottom tests :cheesy:

CJ

she is lovely, I thought I would make it a little interesting by testing here. the outlook for monday is for a test of 9400 in the Dow

COT Reports

Regarding COT Reports. I have recently taken an interest in these but I find them very confusing.

For example - looking at the charts on the web site referred to earlier, it is true that the S&P shows that the commercials are net short. On a simplisitc level we can assume that they know what they are doing (and are probably manipulating the market anyway) - so wherever they go we should follow.

BUT - then you look at the Dow Jones COT position and you find that the commercials have been heavily long for months and are getting longer every week as we speak.

This is what I cannot figure out - why do they show net short on the S&P and net long on the DJ when both markets are usually in synch with each other?

:confused: