Brexit and the Consequences

I'm just amazed these debates are still going on to be honest. People getting played by the media and losing their marbles on twitter. That's all Brexit is now. Move on

I'm just amazed these debates are still going on to be honest. People getting played by the media and losing their marbles on twitter. That's all Brexit is now. Move on
There's no debate to be had. Brexit is done. Rejoining is just a pipe dream for those who cannot accept reality.

Here is a trip down memory lane. 1993.

This is just BAU in politics.

I'm beginning to hear a catalogue of bodies telling the shortages on our shelves as being down to Covid and Brexit!

Not enough drivers and complicated paperwork.

Heard some Scottish fisherman factories complaining about shortage of labour and form filling.

So now we are awaiting salaries to increase and bodies to be trained to do the jobs. Then we can look forward to rise in prices for shoddy work coming to you very soon.

Brexiteers... the Masterminds behind Britain promising the world and delivering FA. (y)

Likemany people I reasoned that common sense would prevail and in my neck of the woods it's 99% pro-Eu. Seems like Putin won this referendum along with the US election, in 2016. Anything to destabilise Russia's 'enemies'

Likemany people I reasoned that common sense would prevail and in my neck of the woods it's 99% pro-Eu. Seems like Putin won this referendum along with the US election, in 2016. Anything to destabilise Russia's 'enemies'

I don't see how Russia is involved in all this.

It's just the West capitalising on it's own self foolishness.

It's the US public that elects it's president and it was the Eurosceptics who wanted Brexit about as far back as since UK joined.

I don't see how Russia is involved in all this.

It's just the West capitalising on it's own self foolishness.

It's the US public that elects it's president and it was the Eurosceptics who wanted Brexit about as far back as since UK joined.
You don't know? Seriously? You need to catch up with some proper info. FBI knew Putin's FSB were up to no good. Bojo's muppets couldn't catch a cold but clearly there was coercion.

Well we live in a world with a complex web of business connections.

How much Russian billionaire lollies do you think the City of London cleans daily?

It's just business. Politics is a side show for the public to cheer or throw rotten tomatoes at.

The illusion of choice.

Trump or Biden? Gotta laff...

My shopping bill has gone up by 10-15% over the past fortnight. We were promised lower food prices by the Brexiters in Parliament. Suggestions that we try and stay in the customs union were dismissed as "project fear". How long will it take for the great British public to realise that they have been conned? It will get worse after 1st October.

Let's ask this man to explain to us why Brexit isn't delivering lower prices to us.

1629970638627.png

I've yet to read, or hear, of food shortages in the EU. Furthermore, Northern Ireland has remained in the single market and customs union. They have no food shortages either.

Newspapers, such as the Daily Mail, Daily Express etc. were trumpeting that the shortage of delivery drivers was due to Covid. They've now changed the narrative to "not enough driving tests were carried out due to Covid". While, conveniently, ignoring the fact that they, and their readers, wanted "these forin workers out" and our "sovrinty back".

Those advocating that we should "move on" are being naive. Leaving the EU is one of the greatest acts of economic suicide ever carried out by a British government. The repercussions are now being felt. Food shortages, and the continued destruction of the world in which we live, are ingredients to foment civil unrest.

I've yet to read, or hear, of food shortages in the EU. Furthermore, Northern Ireland has remained in the single market and customs union. They have no food shortages either.

Newspapers, such as the Daily Mail, Daily Express etc. were trumpeting that the shortage of delivery drivers was due to Covid. They've now changed the narrative to "not enough driving tests were carried out due to Covid". While, conveniently, ignoring the fact that they, and their readers, wanted "these forin workers out" and our "sovrinty back".

Those advocating that we should "move on" are being naive. Leaving the EU is one of the greatest acts of economic suicide ever carried out by a British government. The repercussions are now being felt. Food shortages, and the continued destruction of the world in which we live, are ingredients to foment civil unrest.

Yes absolutely spot on.

Some bright spark (motor mouth farage and good pious Roman Catholic moggy boy) had the idea we can import all this food stuff from the Commonwealth 000s of miles away.

That's a bit of a two edged sword. For the poor commonwealth nations to export their foodstuff 000s of miles when they have little to eat and 10ft underwater or with their crops dying in drought is a big ask.

UK has always been dependent on imports for foodstuffs. Fact that Brexiteers just dismissed and batted this away without and any white paper on alternatives is crazy.

Let's ask this man to explain to us why Brexit isn't delivering lower prices to us.

View attachment 305011

I think he is content that it all worked out just right (for him anyway)...

Staff at Kilburn tube station know what's what.

Attachments

• E9sKMn4WEAEdpFh.jpg
    E9sKMn4WEAEdpFh.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 80

The primary reason there are driver shortages is because of changes to the way they are paid. IR35 and changes to the way workers are remunerated are the reasons for the majority of drivers leaving the industry. These changes are having a devastating effect right across the workforce. Nothing to do with Brexit or Covid.

The primary reason there are driver shortages is because of changes to the way they are paid. IR35 and changes to the way workers are remunerated are the reasons for the majority of drivers leaving the industry. These changes are having a devastating effect right across the workforce. Nothing to do with Brexit or Covid.
That may be a factor for some but not the sole reason.

Apparently, the average age of HGV drivers is 55 and quite a few have opted for early retirement as well.

The supply of Labour would usually be filled from agencies recruiting from all across EU. However, that option is no longer available anymore, as desired by Brexiteers.

The same principle applied for British workers seeking work elsewhere anywhere in EU. All that changed with Brexit.

So now wages and conditions will need to improve raising costs to attract British drivers. That's all well and good but obviously be prepared for price rises and some time lag in structural adjustment that'll need to take place.

That may be a factor for some but not the sole reason.

Apparently, the average age of HGV drivers is 55 and quite a few have opted for early retirement as well.

The supply of Labour would usually be filled from agencies recruiting from all across EU. However, that option is no longer available anymore, as desired by Brexiteers.

The same principle applied for British workers seeking work elsewhere anywhere in EU. All that changed with Brexit.

So now wages and conditions will need to improve raising costs to attract British drivers. That's all well and good but obviously be prepared for price rises and some time lag in structural adjustment that'll need to take place.
IR35 feeds into all those issues including foreign labour. It's not viable for them to work in the UK given the new tax treatment.
The same thing is happening across many industries. The workforce are not happy and are voting with their feet.

Last edited:
IR35 feeds into all those issues including foreign labour. It's not viable for them to work in the UK given the new tax treatment.
The same thing is happening across many industries. The workforce are not happy and are voting with their feet.

I know about IR35 yes but that is not the sole reason.

IR35 isn't new either. Been around quite some time.

That's to stop Irish builders and Auzzie IT contractors working here and then leaving without paying taxes due. Also, there are loads of loopholes for contractors being paid in loans which are then written off.

Tax laws favour contractors and limited companies anyhow. Easy enough to work around.

Last edited:
I know about IR35 yes but that is not the sole reason.

IR35 isn't new either. Been around quite some time.

That's to stop Irish builders and Auzzie IT contractors working here and then leaving without paying taxes due. Also, there are loads of loopholes for contractors being paid in loans which are then written off.

Tax laws favour contractors and limited companies anyhow. Easy enough to work around.
Well you clearly don't know much about it.
There are studies coming out every month which clearly show that it is having a major impact across many sectors.
It's not easy to work around when others are making the determination about IR35 status, inside/outside and so all those who can't find a suitable workaround are chucking in the towel. The knock on effects are acute shortages in the workforce.

But hey, just believe whatever you like. Alan will still be there cheering you on. :ROFLMAO: