Brexit and the Consequences

If I was PM I'd be inclined to spin things out and be as non-committal as long as possible in view of the elections in France, Germany and other countries next year. Obviously the political climate could be very different 12 months from now.

The government will be ll have to be strong. If Scotland want to be idiots then they need to have another referendum and go do their own thing.

I'm just back from a Scotland trip.

The place I stay is a small hotel/pub, where the owner employs about 30 staff.
We have some great conversations about how useless the SNP are. He is not in the slightest bit concerned about Scottish independence. It will never happen, cos when it comes down to it, they will vote for their jobs and the security of being part of the UK.

If I was PM I'd be inclined to spin things out and be as non-committal as long as possible in view of the elections in France, Germany and other countries next year. Obviously the political climate could be very different 12 months from now.

Yes absolutely if anything waiting for election outcome in EU would strengthen our hands in the negotiation.

It was commented by EU members that the time for invoking article 50 was about as much thought out as the Brexit vote. The feeling was that it was picked with a view to putting EU on the back foot.

Far from the truth.

I think that Brexiters want what they believe will happen. After all, Theresa has said Brexit means Bexit, often enough.

I, actually, don't mind now, one way or the other. any more. Unfortunately, that is becoming the attitude of Europeans, in general. By Spring of next year, the world will have movedf on.

The politicians, over here, have serious problems with the Popular sector, which is getting stronger every day. If public opinion swings against UK, then our leaders will need to watch Brussels very carefuly in the negotiations with UK, with regard, what they see as conceding too much.

Will Brexiters feel as happy about delays if, in April, there are more delays in the calendar?

As Tim says, we don't really care how long it takes to leave the EU. It is not us who are feeling the pressure. Rather the EU elites (y)

As Tim says, we don't really care how long it takes to leave the EU. It is not us who are feeling the pressure. Rather the EU elites (y)

That's the point. I don't see anyone around here worried, one way or the other, let alone being under pressure. People know that I am a Brit, but they don't ask me about Brexit. They ask me about what I think about Cataluña independence, the formation of our new government,the latest corruption scandal or the price of bread.

You suggest that more countries will leave EU. If that happens, we'll do what we always have, ie.survive, one way or another.

Every UK business buying in dollars is feeling Brexit now. I speak these words from experience.

A number of investments inward bound is on hold. UK is a less business friendly place to locate in.

EU countries rubbing hands with glee looking at winning business from London and the UK.

Global businesses located in the UK with a view to doing business in the EU are feeling the pressure that's for sure.

EU elites will still be there. Just that the UK elites representing the UK in the EU will be feeling the pressure.

Think about it. To be this apathetic about the road ahead simply means Brexiters have no awareness of the risks to UK industry and people they are impacting.

No single country has the ability to build her own aircraft or space program. Space, satellites and technology along with green revolution are the future. What will UK be able to do on her own? We dependent on import of food stuff, have no manufacturing and rely on finance and service industries.

EU complements our weakness. Together we are so much stronger. This is the special relationship and it should be obvious.

Are Brexiters really serious that EU countries will come knocking on our door? What do we have that they need, that they can't substitute by say integrating with Russia joining the EU.

On the other hand US and UK hope to business together. We usually get screwed by the yanks. That's how far the special relationship goes. Can someone name me any pros or benefits we've received from them. WWII we paid for with our colonies, oil and remember the Suez canal crises or their lack of help.

Ambivalent to the threats Brexit is raising to the UK. Brexiters have no awareness or appreciation of the issues in hand.

Shocking and very sad. :(

. . . Brexiters have no awareness or appreciation of the issues in hand.
Oh but we do Atilla, for we are blessed to have you, barjon and others to tell us. Sometimes at huge length.
;)

Shocking and very sad.
Perhaps.
But in my (worthless) view, not half as shocking as actively wanting to abdicate all sovereignty to a bunch of self serving, unelected and unaccountable elites who don't give a fig about you and just want your money to squander on s***e! That to me is really sad. It's the principle of the whole thing that I care about and it's that that I suspect most Brexiteers have at the forefront of their minds.
Tim.

Every UK business buying in dollars is feeling Brexit now. I speak these words from experience.

A number of investments inward bound is on hold. UK is a less business friendly place to locate in.

EU countries rubbing hands with glee looking at winning business from London and the UK.

Global businesses located in the UK with a view to doing business in the EU are feeling the pressure that's for sure.

EU elites will still be there. Just that the UK elites representing the UK in the EU will be feeling the pressure.

Think about it. To be this apathetic about the road ahead simply means Brexiters have no awareness of the risks to UK industry and people they are impacting.

No single country has the ability to build her own aircraft or space program. Space, satellites and technology along with green revolution are the future. What will UK be able to do on her own? We dependent on import of food stuff, have no manufacturing and rely on finance and service industries.

EU complements our weakness. Together we are so much stronger. This is the special relationship and it should be obvious.

Are Brexiters really serious that EU countries will come knocking on our door? What do we have that they need, that they can't substitute by say integrating with Russia joining the EU.

On the other hand US and UK hope to business together. We usually get screwed by the yanks. That's how far the special relationship goes. Can someone name me any pros or benefits we've received from them. WWII we paid for with our colonies, oil and remember the Suez canal crises or their lack of help.

Ambivalent to the threats Brexit is raising to the UK. Brexiters have no awareness or appreciation of the issues in hand.

Largely true, though I disagree about one or two of your points.

Quite a lot of wishful thinking swirling round the Brexiteers and Trumpeteers in the population.

Having said that, these situations don't usually turn out as badly as feared.
Life goes on and the day to day impact on most people won't be noticeable.
On some it will be severe though.
The important thing is to stay calm and be measured and find ways of mitigating bad situations and making the most of good ones and not get our (pants) knickers in a twist.

"....not half as shocking as actively wanting to abdicate all sovereignty to a bunch of self serving, unelected and unaccountable elites who don't give a fig about you and just want your money to squander on s***e! "

Got to agree with that as well !! most definitely ! and that is the major upside of Brexit. Might even be worth the economic losses ha ha

A victory for common sense.

I'm thinking you need to be on itspossible's fantasy island thread.

Seriously, when are you going to get over Brexit ? :LOL:

Reminds me of king Canute.

Attachments

• canute.jpg
    canute.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 78
Oh but we do Atilla, for we are blessed to have you, barjon and others to tell us. Sometimes at huge length.
;)

Perhaps.
But in my (worthless) view, not half as shocking as actively wanting to abdicate all sovereignty to a bunch of self serving, unelected and unaccountable elites who don't give a fig about you and just want your money to squander on s***e! That to me is really sad. It's the principle of the whole thing that I care about and it's that that I suspect most Brexiteers have at the forefront of their minds.
Tim.

Tim go back about 800+ years in history and ask the question how many Barons & Saxon Lords and territories there were in the UK? How many wars and battles they fought against each other.

Only after 1066 the invasion and William the Conqueror as our King was the Feudal system introduced and UK became Kind of a real country.

What made them unite to become a Kingdom? What were they before but Barons localised into little segments of small territories.

Where would we be now if the Barons weren't united.

It's simply evolution of life for the better imo.

Look at the bigger picture! Think big! Dream in Metrocolour (y)

saxmap.gif

Hitler had the idea he could unite Europe and beyond as one big unit. He thought that was his "destiny".

Jean-Claude Juncker et al have the same idea, albeit peacefully by economic pressure and image creating. Only thing is that the brand is increasingly toxic.

Not that it didn't stop Trump :(

Bigger isn't better, it's just different.

Lol Atilla!
Where would we be now if the Barons weren't united.
I think comparing William the Conquerer to the EU and the local barons throughout the U.K. to the other 27 countries in the EU and using it as a justification to remain is, to say the least, stretching the realms of credibility. There's no useful parallel there that I can see, sorry! 10/10 for effort and imagination though.
;)

Look at the bigger picture! Think big! Dream in Metrocolour
The key point here is that the referendum wasn't a vote to go in - or to stay out - of Europe. We've been in for the past 30 years or whatever it is - and it hasn't worked. The beautiful metrocolour dream turned into a quagmire of brown sticky stuff a long time ago. Just apply the standard trading principle of trading with the trend to the situation. And if you're on the wrong side of it - as you well know - get out. That's exactly what we did on 23rd June.
Tim.

Not necessarily.

Laggards can leave.

Commissioners who make informed decisions based on research and study can lead to better outcomes than in some democracies where politicians play to the people's prejudices making false promises that can't be delivered.

Heard someone say there isn't enough cement to build a 2000m wall along the Mexican border. Sounds good though. We are going to build a Great Wall to keep them out. It's going to be wonderful big and beautiful. We are going to do fantastic things.

Isn't it ironic Ford is moving small car production to Mexico.

I like the EU. It works very well for UK interests. The other side of the wall is not a pretty sight.

As for that new motion, it's going to be along the lines of migrants welcome but only if you have a job first.

Considering UK unemployment is lowest it has been for quite some time, the argument that migrants are benefit seekers does fall flat on it's face. :idea:

More on the subject of laggards
:LOL:

This Lagarde's trial date has been set for Dec 12th 2016.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/12/news/international-monetary-fund-christine-lagarde-trial-date/

Lol Atilla!

I think comparing William the Conquerer to the EU and the local barons throughout the U.K. to the other 27 countries in the EU and using it as a justification to remain is, to say the least, stretching the realms of credibility. There's no useful parallel there that I can see, sorry! 10/10 for effort and imagination though.
;)

The key point here is that the referendum wasn't a vote to go in - or to stay out - of Europe. We've been in for the past 30 years or whatever it is - and it hasn't worked. The beautiful metrocolour dream turned into a quagmire of brown sticky stuff a long time ago. Just apply the standard trading principle of trading with the trend to the situation. And if you're on the wrong side of it - as you well know - get out. That's exactly what we did on 23rd June.
Tim.

One tries ones best but if that's how you feel about it, here is a little something for you to help with the brown stuff...

51AEdJE5aXL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Why has nobody mentioned Italy [emoji634]

Surely they will be the ones to bring the EU to the brink if their leaders lose their forthcoming referendum next month ?!