Brexit and the Consequences

Probably not, but these are the people talking, not the establishment you are so fond of pillorying. You’ve all been ignoring the fact that nearly half the people who voted were remainers so when you prattle on about “the people have spoken” you really mean just over half the voting people. Most of the remainers went along with the result but expected - as your lot promised - a reasonable deal, not “no deal”.

Well it's not a reasonable deal is it, that's the whole point. Parliamentarians have voted against it twice already and it is highly likely that they will reject it a third time. Once again I have to reiterate that the legal position already agreed by parliament is that in the absence of a withdrawal agreement being passed, then we leave with No Deal.

It will take further legislation, to be passed by parliament and written into law, to override the default position.

I didn't write the rules. Politicians from all sides agreed this and were elected on manifesto's that said we will be leaving the EU. As for your point about leaving with a good deal. This was never part of the referendum question, in fact it is an invention made up by remoaners, losers, subverters, and the biased agenda MSM.

Well it's not a reasonable deal is it, that's the whole point. Parliamentarians have voted against it twice already and it is highly likely that they will reject it a third time. Once again I have to reiterate that the legal position already agreed by parliament is that in the absence of a withdrawal agreement being passed, then we leave with No Deal.

It will take further legislation, to be passed by parliament and written into law, to override the default position.

I didn't write the rules. Politicians from all sides agreed this and were elected on manifesto's that said we will be leaving the EU. As for your point about leaving with a good deal. This was never part of the referendum question, in fact it is an invention made up by remoaners, losers, subverters, and the biased agenda MSM.

No, the referendum was a straight choice but, as for invention, you’ve clearly forgotten the rhetoric of boris et al about the good deal that would be easy won since they need us more than we need them etc. How you’ve got the cheek to pretend it’s a remainers invention is beyond me.

Nonetheless, you are of course right about the default position and “no deal” which Parliament has voted against and few bar the hard brexiteers want. So, with no other deal on view, that puts them between a rock and a hard place and they’ll either have to decide what they dislike the least or throw their hands up in the air and ask us to get them out of the hole they’ve dug. Anyway they’ve got a couple of extra weeks to play their games.

Anyway they’ve got a couple of extra weeks to play their games.

They’ve actually got 7 and a bit days at the time of writing [emoji1360]

EDIT: just seen that they’ve completed the betrayal, it’s now the 12th April or 22 May.

HC extension.

Last edited:
Problem for us plebs, is that it’s difficult to work out which of their lies has any truth in it. Which of their lies is any more truthful than any other. In a sea of lies where is the life raft of truth being thrown. The simple answer is that there isn’t any truth at all.

I can’t see this ending well.

No, the referendum was a straight choice but, as for invention, you’ve clearly forgotten the rhetoric of boris et al about the good deal that would be easy won since they need us more than we need them etc. How you’ve got the cheek to pretend it’s a remainers invention is beyond me. . .
Hi Jon,
I'll take your word about Boris - I don't recall. Liam Fox is usually the minister cited in this context when he gave an interview of BBC Radio 4's Today programme in July 2017 and said that a post-Brexit free trade deal with the EU should be the “easiest in human history”. He was right then and he's still right today. He couldn't have known at the time that Mrs. May was a duplicitous incompetent who couldn't be trusted to run a bath - let alone the country - or that she'd be so stupid as to reject the offer of a free trade deal made last year by Donald Tusk on behalf of the EU. Had Mrs. May supported David Davis and his team at DExEU - rather than completely undermining them - then I believe we would indeed have a perfectly acceptable free trade deal in place by now. It's worth noting that in the same interview Liam Fox went on to concede that securing a deal would probably not be easy in practice saying:“The only reason that we wouldn’t come to a free and open agreement is because politics gets in the way of economics". As is always the case, comments like 'the easiest in human history' have to be taken in context.

As for them (the EU) needing us more than we need them, again, fundamentally this remains true. After all, we're their largest trading partner and they sell waaaaaay more stuff to us than we do to them.
Tim.

Hi Jon,
I'll take your word about Boris - I don't recall. Liam Fox is usually the minister cited in this context when he gave an interview of BBC Radio 4's Today programme in July 2017 and said that a post-Brexit free trade deal with the EU should be the “easiest in human history”. He was right then and he's still right today. He couldn't have known at the time that Mrs. May was a duplicitous incompetent who couldn't be trusted to run a bath - let alone the country - or that she'd be so stupid as to reject the offer of a free trade deal made last year by Donald Tusk on behalf of the EU. Had Mrs. May supported David Davis and his team at DExEU - rather than completely undermining them - then I believe we would indeed have a perfectly acceptable free trade deal in place by now. It's worth noting that in the same interview Liam Fox went on to concede that securing a deal would probably not be easy in practice saying:“The only reason that we wouldn’t come to a free and open agreement is because politics gets in the way of economics". As is always the case, comments like 'the easiest in human history' have to be taken in context.

As for them (the EU) needing us more than we need them, again, fundamentally this remains true. After all, we're their largest trading partner and they sell waaaaaay more stuff to us than we do to them.
Tim.

Withdrawal deal is just the start of the process and everyone hates it, except for the EU of course. It's not May's deal, it's the EU dictating terms. Even if passed, it only outlines a continuation of each sides arrangements (potentially in perpetuity) until a future trade deal is negotiated. There are no guarantees that a future trade deal will emerge. UK will have handed over a minimum of 39Bn on a worthless promise of a future trade deal.

Remainers must be complete numpties to support such an arrangement. But if I ever have a bridge for sale, I know who to target.(y)

This is a government of occupation, the EU have marched into UK parliament and taken control for themselves.

This is what you get, when a member state starts to go a bit awry, the EU will step in and seize control. Just as they have done with Greece, Portugal, Ireland and now the UK.

Betrayal is the correct word to use. TM is an EU representative, not a UK prime minister.

Last edited:
1553247217220.png

At',
If you're going to post that petition every time a few dozen signatures get added, this thread will be become the most boring thread in the history of very boring threads. Show some discipline please! If you must post its progress, I suggest sticking to a minimum of a million new signatures. So, only another 15 posts to go to get past the magic number of 17.4 million. I predict you won't get further than another three!
:ROFLMAO:

No worries Timsk I hear you and feel the same.

Really really looking forward to revoking article 50 and putting this referendum fiasco on the rear bottom shelf in a secure storage depo somewhere off the coast of Lapland.

Life is good. (y)

At',
If you're going to post that petition every time a few dozen signatures get added, this thread will be become the most boring thread in the history of very boring threads. Show some discipline please! If you must post its progress, I suggest sticking to a minimum of a million new signatures. So, only another 15 posts to go to get past the magic number of 17.4 million. I predict you won't get further than another three!

In the interests of equity and residual sanity: this probably is already the most boring thread "in human history" and Att's knee-jerks of petition numbers fit right in with all the other ping-pong posts of the last couple of years and anyway, he started it. BTW, his first post of July 21st 2016 seems to be still valid, with the initial question still unanswered:

"What are likely to be the consequences of Brexit?

Thread to consider positive and negative impacts.

Here is the first negative. Shifting UK finance service sector away from London to; Frankfurt, Paris or Amsterdam?

Watch Out London, Amsterdam Is Coming to Get You"

....and being a numberphile meself: less than 500 hundred posts to go before 10k. Whose serve is it now?

Good to reflect on some of the past posts. Should be laugh in another 5 - 10 years to read back on some of the absurdities promised to the masses.

Post https://www.trade2win.com/threads/brexit-and-the-consequences.217408/post-2785816 seems to be materialising.

Unintended consequence perhaps but not exactly what was prescribed.

As I understand we will have to reduce corporate tax to below 12% to get some HQ to move into the UK and being HQ I feel they will be employing top of the range breed of geezers rather than the low end spruce up their HQs. Even then they'll probably import their top staff.

Sometimes I wonder if I should simply keep out of debate and let it be... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

re: Peoples Vote

I still dont get the "Peoples Vote" thing.
A referendum was called. Everybody who could vote, voted. Or chose not to.

What group of people would vote in a "Peoples Vote" that were denied a vote in the referendum?

(I am a remainer, but since the call was to exit the EU, so be it. And damn the consequences.)

. . .What group of people would vote in a "Peoples Vote" that were denied a vote in the referendum? . . .
Hi trendie,
I think there are two groups who supposedly fit into this category:
1. Youngsters who were not old enough to vote in 2016 but have since come of age. Every single one of these is a remainer, apparently.
2. The millions upon millions of people who voted leave last time because they were too stupid or too gullible (or both) to vote the 'right' way. Presumably, their intelligence quotient hasn't risen in the last three years but, so long as they remain gullible they may be persuaded by Project Fear on Steroids to vote the 'correct' way next time. Correction, I do of course mean be persuaded by facts and simple logic.

There is a nominal third group comprising the oldies that have died since 2016 but, by virtue of being old and largely senile (they must have been to have voted leave), they don't really count as 'people'. Put that lot into the wash and what comes out the other end is a 'People's Vote'.
;)
Tim.

At',

Aw, don’t be a spoilsport, Tim :). We’ve had “the people have spokenl” shoved down our throats ad Infinitum as if it was a unanimous cry. So let us enjoy the sight of some more people speaking even though they are off script.

You’ve got to admit that over 2million in a day is pretty spectacular for a petition. Oh, it’s over 3 million now :ROFLMAO:

Aw, don’t be a spoilsport, Tim :). We’ve had “the people have spokenl” shoved down our throats ad Infinitum as if it was a unanimous cry. So let us enjoy the sight of some more people speaking even though they are off script.

You’ve got to admit that over 2million in a day is pretty spectacular for a petition. Oh, it’s over 3 million now :ROFLMAO:

I agree, let free speech prevail (y)

Just cos Brexiteers don't like it, well tough, we all have our days :LOL:

I would like to know the proportion of the 3M that could be determined to be valid voters given that the numbers have risen so rapidly in such a short period of time, given that there are a good proportion of foreign signatures, this reeks of corruption and interference :LOL:, therefore I declare it invalid, what is really telling is the way MSM are promoting it.

Keep it going chaps, nothing to lose, information and insight to gain.

Right, so the new blackmail is actually thus: extension to the 22 May to allow for arrangements for the Brexit 'deal' as long as it is approved by MPs next week, if the deal is not agreed next week then the extension is until 12 April with the potential for no-deal or an 'alternative plan' to be put forward with the possibility of a further extension and participation in the EU elections, very sneaky, whatever could this alternative plan be?

HC extension.

But now the Lords are seeking to block the extension - head is still spinning.

Last edited:

I would like to know the proportion of the 3M that could be determined to be valid voters given that the numbers have risen so rapidly in such a short period of time, given that there are a good proportion of foreign signatures, this reeks of corruption and interference :LOL:, therefore I declare it invalid, what is really telling is the way MSM are promoting it.

Stone me guv'ner! You got me bang to rights.

Me and the rest of my Russky mates have been clicking like maniacs (or petitioners, if you prefer) and that nice Mr Putin has promised us representation in the next UK government for our sore fingers. Thank God for real democrats :)