Brexit and the Consequences

dow
And so has the US? What about other non-EU economies over the same time period? How can we say it is because of the EU when there is no real context other than timeline which tells us little about the argument presented.

This graph actually shows the UK and US economies more closely aligned than it does with France and Germany, care to pick another random chart and stick any old narrative onto it?

Attila even has a dig at Thatcher and states that it was the US that dug us out of it, when it is clear for all to see that the chart of all the countries presented dipped and rose along the same timeline.

Nope, sorry chaps, if economics are the only arguments you have in favour of the EU, then you are going to have to do better to convince Brexiteers, just like the Globalist establishment tried to convince us otherwise, that worked out well for them :LOL:

The beauty of the UK is that it is a bridge between US and EU and plays for both sides and benefits equally from both sides. Best of both worlds.

It's not what or anyone else says, Thatcher's dip is clear to see. UK's recession was deeper and more severe than our European counterparts. It was the only time UK BoP visible exports exceeded imports and this is a fact, recovery was export led. Nothing that Thatcher did. Her legacy of stopping subsidies and regional grants has effectively led to disenfranchised Northern England. Sending migrants to up to poorly towns to prop up rundown regions has had quite the opposite effect of putting Englanders noses out of place. Self regulation of banks led to banking crises as at first the globe thought UK banks would be safe when US ones went under. Pound went up to 2.10 against dollar only to collapse when everybody realised we were no better. It's also the time in order to hide Politicians pay 40% when trade unions were bashed, she introduced expenses and multiple homes all expenses paid by Parliament that we've ended up with career politicians wanting to earn big bucks. She sold national treasures and took PSBR to the highest ever. Early 80s were bad ol times. As I say Raegonomics and global revival and Falklands saved her bacon. Once again dip in UK far greater than other equivalent competitor nations. Her policies exacerbated the recession. She also sold off council flats and now we have no social housing for public servants such as teachers, nurses or policeman who earn nominal salaries compared to private sector. She got votes for selling council homes too.

Anyhow.... 70s was marked by a period of stagnation, high unemployment and inflation due to the oil price rise shock which impacted the whole global economy.

As they say all boats rise and sink with the tide.

UK has done well out of her membership of the EU. It was 7th before joining and recently was 5th in the GDP league table. It was in relative decline between 1950-1970. This is unanimously accepted along with data.

Why did Britain join the European project?
Why did Britain join? For various reasons. Because De Gaulle left, the Commonwealth could not compete, Heath defeated Wilson, the free trade area integration model sunk. But above all, Britain joined because joining the European project was perceived to be a way to stop its relative economic decline. In 1950, UK’s per capita GDP was almost a third larger than the EU6 average; in 1973, it was about 10% below; it has been comparatively stable ever since. On this basis, joining the EU worked – it helped to halt Britain’s relative economic decline vis-à-vis the EU6.

1546906014927.png

You dispute anything put forward to you but can you try and answer why did UK choose to join the EU if it was doing so well outside? Why would it choose to join a losing club?

You make a big song and dance about leaving and how UK can do well outside of the EU and that all UK's non-EU migration, asylum laws, and regional imbalances are all to do with the EU and somehow EU is holding us back but put no evidence forward about how UK was doing so well before joining or can do post EU assuming Brexit takes place.

You have an equal opportunity to produce charts showing UK outperforming EU, do you not. Talk is cheap. Rubbishing and talking down much hard work and 50 years of people coming together, travelling and working all over the place, along with globalisation has all been positive.

Due to skewed distribution of income and in this respect UK does lean towards US, UK lack of investment in industry and social services, favouring instead investing in military and war expeditions in other smaller countries, stirring up refugees destroying people's lives and otherwise stable countries infrastructure hasn't made her great has it?

Anyway, we are simply churning the same old blurb and I doubt we'll ever meet anywhere remotely in the middle. We'll have to simply see how events unfold.

(y)

Last edited:
dow

The beauty of the UK is that it is a bridge between US and EU and plays for both sides and benefits equally from both sides. Best of both worlds.

It's not what or anyone else says, Thatcher's dip is clear to see. UK's recession was deeper and more severe than our European counterparts. It was the only time UK BoP visible exports exceeded imports and this is a fact, recovery was export led. Nothing that Thatcher did. Her legacy of stopping subsidies and regional grants has effectively led to disenfranchised Northern England. Sending migrants to up to poorly towns to prop up rundown regions has had quite the opposite effect of putting Englanders noses out of place. Self regulation of banks led to banking crises as at first the globe thought UK banks would be safe when US ones went under. Pound went up to 2.10 against dollar only to collapse when everybody realised we were no better. It's also the time in order to hide Politicians pay 40% when trade unions were bashed, she introduced expenses and multiple homes all expenses paid by Parliament that we've ended up with career politicians wanting to earn big bucks. She sold national treasures and took PSBR to the highest ever. Early 80s were bad ol times. As I say Raegonomics and global revival and Falklands saved her bacon. Once again dip in UK far greater than other equivalent competitor nations. Her policies exacerbated the recession. She also sold off council flats and now we have no social housing for public servants such as teachers, nurses or policeman who earn nominal salaries compared to private sector. She got votes for selling council homes too.

Anyhow.... 70s was marked by a period of stagnation, high unemployment and inflation due to the oil price rise shock which impacted the whole global economy.

As they say all boats rise and sink with the tide.

UK has done well out of her membership of the EU. It was 7th before joining and recently was 5th in the GDP league table. It was in relative decline between 1950-1970. This is unanimously accepted along with data.

Why did Britain join the European project?
Why did Britain join? For various reasons. Because De Gaulle left, the Commonwealth could not compete, Heath defeated Wilson, the free trade area integration model sunk. But above all, Britain joined because joining the European project was perceived to be a way to stop its relative economic decline. In 1950, UK’s per capita GDP was almost a third larger than the EU6 average; in 1973, it was about 10% below; it has been comparatively stable ever since. On this basis, joining the EU worked – it helped to halt Britain’s relative economic decline vis-à-vis the EU6.

View attachment 259256

You dispute anything put forward to you but can you try and answer why did UK choose to join the EU if it was doing so well outside? Why would it choose to join a losing club?

You make a big song and dance about leaving and how UK can do well outside of the EU and that all UK's non-EU migration, asylum laws, and regional imbalances are all to do with the EU and somehow EU is holding us back but put no evidence forward about how UK was doing so well before joining or can do post EU assuming Brexit takes place.

You have an equal opportunity to produce charts showing UK outperforming EU, do you not. Talk is cheap. Rubbishing and talking down much hard work and 50 years of people coming together, travelling and working all over the place, along with globalisation has all been positive.

Due to skewed distribution of income and in this respect UK does lean towards US, UK lack of investment in industry and social services, favouring instead investing in military and war expeditions in other smaller countries, stirring up refugees destroying people's lives and otherwise stable countries infrastructure hasn't made her great has it?

Anyway, we are simply churning the same old blurb and I doubt we'll ever meet anywhere remotely in the middle. We'll have to simply see how events unfold.

(y)

So despite all the positives that globalisation has brought [to the world] we still find ourselves in the position we are in. Why is that (and please don’t revert to the stock answer that leavers didn’t know what they were voting for, unless of course that is your only answer)?

So despite all the positives that globalisation has brought [to the world] we still find ourselves in the position we are in. Why is that (and please don’t revert to the stock answer that leavers didn’t know what they were voting for, unless of course that is your only answer)?

How is Globalisation to issue when it is the very term that's opened up the globe and trade to all people. Globalisation is international trade. The British Empire which I assume we are all proud of ruling three quarters of the waves and the globe was Globalisation.

Issue is one of management and control. Politicians not interested in distributing the cake. Lack of honesty and transparency.

Yes mass influx of migrants from non-EU, Commonwealth countries and those abusing the asylum system in a short period of time are all issues not addressed by the UK government along with lack of social investment and regional aid grants.

Leaving EU and taking back control isn't going to resolve core issues. It will simply remove the EU from blame when we see events unfold in the next 20 years and see outcomes.

You haven't answered any of the questions posed about the evidence where UK was outperforming the EU or why it decided to join? I would be interested in your version of the why? Why did UK persist for over 10 years to join against strong French opposition?

The assertion Thatcher fixed a broken economy in the 80s is ludicrous imho. She merely sorted the unions out. Rest of her stuff cost the UK dearly and led to three terms of Blair. That's because she didn't fix or build anything just simply sold off national treasures, council houses and ran social services down. We are in a similar pickle now with Tories having run down the same social services whilst numerating fat cats above and beyond masses of public service workers.

I'm always stunned how people can not see what is so obvious in front of their eyes. Very sad :( .

Signal,

Seems to me that when people come under threat (usually, but not exclusively, economically) a large number of them tend to blame the “powers that be” and look elsewhere for someone to better their lot in life. It’s why governments get voted out of office. Add these floating voters to the diehard “principle” believers in opposing camps and bingo.

So far as the diehard “home rulers” are concerned they tend to me motivated by culture and way of life more than just economic wellbeing. “Home”, of course, is the UK so far as Brexit is concerned, but it’s Scotland to the scotnats, Wales to plaid cymru, Catalonia to those diehards etc, etc.

How is Globalisation to issue when it is the very term that's opened up the globe and trade to all people. Globalisation is international trade. The British Empire which I assume we are all proud of ruling three quarters of the waves and the globe was Globalisation.

Trade is not the issue, I think most people understand that globalisation is based on the trade of goods on a global scale that could have been for the benefit of all, but sadly isn't, I don't think many have issues with that.

Issue is one of management and control. Politicians not interested in distributing the cake. Lack of honesty and transparency.

Politicians are a major part of the problem.

Yes mass influx of migrants from non-EU, Commonwealth countries and those abusing the asylum system in a short period of time are all issues not addressed by the UK government along with lack of social investment and regional aid grants.

You've deliberately left out mass uncontrolled influx of EU migrants in that para, likin it :unsure:

Leaving EU and taking back control isn't going to resolve core issues. It will simply remove the EU from blame when we see events unfold in the next 20 years and see outcomes.

Hurrah for that.

You haven't answered any of the questions posed about the evidence where UK was outperforming the EU or why it decided to join?

I thought I had answered by presenting evidence that didn't show the UK outperforming the EU because of joining the EU.

I would be interested in your version of the why? Why did UK persist for over 10 years to join against strong French opposition?

Because joining a trading bloc for economic benefit is a very good idea indeed :LOL:

The assertion Thatcher fixed a broken economy in the 80s is ludicrous imho. She merely sorted the unions out. Rest of her stuff cost the UK dearly and led to three terms of Blair. That's because she didn't fix or build anything just simply sold off national treasures, council houses and ran social services down. We are in a similar pickle now with Tories having run down the same social services whilst numerating fat cats above and beyond masses of public service workers.

I didn't assert anything about Thatcher.

I'm always stunned how people can not see what is so obvious in front of their eyes. Very sad :( .

So am I, you are still not gettin it! Globalisation has turned into Globalism, an ideological driven means of making the rich richer off the backs of the very poor and removing the middle classes, making them poorer, so that eventually we all end up in a poor state, dependent on government welfare, working for minimum wage, in lifetime debt from early 20's obtaining a useless education that is neither use to man nor beast, competing with illegal and/or uncontrolled migrants for the lowest paid jobs, with no hope for the future, the nations IQ levels dumbed down to the point of no return, whilst the fat cat globalist banksters, politicians, multinationals and elites get richer and fatter, you of all people should realise what has been happening. The EU plays an integral part in all of this, it is why we have Brexit, Les Gilet Jaunes, AfD, Visegrad and a myriad of opposition that falls under the umbrella term Populism.

History tells us that there was relatively little opposition to the EC until it turned into the ideological EU in the 1990's. It's absolutely nothing to do with trade and everything to do with politics, it beats me why remainers cannot wake up to this, bleating on about economics is not going to change anyone's mind, it's so obvious it's in front of your eyes :ROFLMAO:

If you have any non-economic arguments in favour of the EU that are to the benefit of the UK, I'd like to hear them?

Signal,

Seems to me that when people come under threat (usually, but not exclusively, economically) a large number of them tend to blame the “powers that be” and look elsewhere for someone to better their lot in life. It’s why governments get voted out of office. Add these floating voters to the diehard “principle” believers in opposing camps and bingo.

I would agree with this outlook, after all those in charge tell us how to live our lives, what taxes to pay, control the movement of labour, direct where immigrants should be housed, enable legislation, introduce laws etc etc, who else would they be looking to blame if the powers that be have affected their lifestyles to a point of frustration?

So far as the diehard “home rulers” are concerned they tend to me motivated by culture and way of life more than just economic wellbeing. “Home”, of course, is the UK so far as Brexit is concerned, but it’s Scotland to the scotnats, Wales to plaid cymru, Catalonia to those diehards etc, etc.

It's a strange irony that those nationalists wish to remain in the EU, it's just an obvious anti-English opportunist agenda.

More twists and turns than a twisty turny thing.

I think we all need to get down to screwfix and get some yellow jackets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46803112

Brexiteers hark on about taking back control and sovereignty of Parliament and then tut tut anything that doesn't go their way.

I love Anna Soubry, a lady with good character and strong heart. What's ironic is the very yobs shouting nazi slogans. Amazing. These are the people Brexiteers aligning themselves with to promote the UK on the international stage and run the country.

Absolutely amazing in a very bad way. (n)

Brexiteers hark on about taking back control and sovereignty of Parliament and then tut tut anything that doesn't go their way.

I love Anna Soubry, a lady with good character and strong heart. What's ironic is the very yobs shouting nazi slogans. Amazing. These are the people Brexiteers aligning themselves with to promote the UK on the international stage and run the country.

Just as bad as remainers aligning themselves with the hard left yobs shouting the exact same nazi slogans at anyone supporting Brexit; and they like the EU, absolutely amazing :rolleyes:o_O oh the irony.

Last edited:
More twists and turns than a twisty turny thing.

I think we all need to get down to screwfix and get some yellow jackets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46803112

It's almost as if TM deliberately delayed the vote for a month, knowing that nothing was going to change whilst a plan was hatched to vote down a no-deal, thereby forcing an alternative action, like errrr, delaying Art 50? Is that the next logical step?

Nah, surely not, watch this space......:whistle:

Where's the bag of popcorn emoji, I've run out.

If anyone has the answer it has got to be Farage, Soubrey is a snowflake in comparison, in fact most MPs are snowflakes.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1082523765114892288/pu/vid/1280x720/ecrrVvI8TYMwIxQV.mp4?tag=8

Last edited:
. . . What's ironic is the very yobs shouting nazi slogans. Amazing. These are the people Brexiteers aligning themselves with to promote the UK on the international stage and run the country.

As you know perfectly well, although the yobs may be aligning themselves with Brexiteers - we are most definitely NOT aligning ourselves with them. I no more think Ms. Soubry is a Nazi fascist any more than I hope and assume she doesn't think I'm a brain dead, racist, xenophobic bigot. It's precisely the sort of extreme polarised thinking that you've outlined in your post that's the root cause of the division and bitterness that exists around Brexit. What you write is not only absolute rubbish - it's offensive - as you're implying that I, Sig', c_v and other Brexiteers on here are no better than these morons. Shame on you for even thinking it - let alone posting it. Please amend/delete your post and I'll respond in kind.
:mad:
Tim.

democracy = free speech

If people wish to chant Nazi slogans then unless we become a police state then......they can....

N

democracy = free speech

If people wish to chant Nazi slogans then unless we become a police state then......they can....

N
John Stuart Mill - over 150 years ago he got it right about freedom of speech.

As you know perfectly well, although the yobs may be aligning themselves with Brexiteers - we are most definitely NOT aligning ourselves with them. I no more think Ms. Soubry is a Nazi fascist any more than I hope and assume she doesn't think I'm a brain dead, racist, xenophobic bigot. It's precisely the sort of extreme polarised thinking that you've outlined in your post that's the root cause of the division and bitterness that exists around Brexit. What you write is not only absolute rubbish - it's offensive - as you're implying that I, Sig', c_v and other Brexiteers on here are no better than these morons. Shame on you for even thinking it - let alone posting it. Please amend/delete your post and I'll respond in kind.
:mad:
Tim.

I am able to tell the difference Tim,

And I'm sorry you feel offended and that is not my intention but more to warn about the dangers facing the country from such elements.

Just as bad as remainers aligning themselves with the hard left yobs shouting the exact same nazi slogans at anyone supporting Brexit; and they like the EU, absolutely amazing :rolleyes:o_O oh the irony.

Agreed yes.

I don't like labour hard nut mobs either. So why is your side kick calling for yellow vests on to the streets of London or supporting those in Paris causing disruption and a drop in GNP?

I am able to tell the difference Tim,

And I'm sorry you feel offended and that is not my intention but more to warn about the dangers facing the country from such elements.
Atilla,
If it's not your intention to cause offence then I suggest you try harder to do what you said you were going to do a few pages back as part of your New Year's resolution. If you differentiate between Brexiteers on here and those idiots outside Parliament - why imply otherwise. That's a rhetorical question btw - no need to answer - but please reflect on it. Besides which, everyone assumes these people are the nasty face of the hard right. They may well be but, equally, they could just be people who don't give a toss one way or the other about Brexit and are just using it as an excuse to stir up trouble and show off to their friends - assuming they have any. Or, perhaps, they're actually remainers playing silly buggers, knowing that fellow remainers will respond in the way that you have and automatically assume they're Brexiteers and then tar all 17.4 million of us with the same brush.
Tim.

Agreed yes.

I don't like labour hard nut mobs either. So why is your side kick calling for yellow vests on to the streets of London or supporting those in Paris causing disruption and a drop in GNP?

Who's my side -kick? CV? :LOL:

Why would it be wrong to call for protests anyway, it's part of our democracy (just)?