Brexit and the Consequences

True enough.
However, some rather smart cookies are concerned about consequences of Brexit.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45944817

Anyway, I am bored of all this.
I am off to the Yemen.

Yep, I'll concede, you've found the killer reason to stay in the EU. I'm writing to our illustrious Prime Minister as we speak to voice my concerns and plead the case for remaining in the EU to preserve our scientific investment.

Signed,

Mr Worried of Milton Keynes.

On second thoughts, no, I saw that story in 2016, please don't say the BBC have rehashed one of the original Project Fear mantra stories? My letter is on hold pending an investigation :rolleyes:

PS. the Yemen is going to get boring very soon, the US have asked politely if the Saudi's, UK, France and err the US will kindly stop bombing the local population over there. Why not try Turkey?

Last edited:
Even if true, it's not a reason to stay a member of the EU though, unless they allow us to trade with them without being a member of course.
I don't fully understand you.
Ok so I get that if we are unable to get trade deals with other non-EU countries which were not as good as the EU can get with other non EU countries, this would not be a good enough reason for you to be in the EU?

But I don't understand your caveat under which you would want to stay in the EU? -
"unless they allow us to trade with them without being a member of course"

This is what I don't understand.
The EU has bigger buying power than us.
So why would the likes of Australia be able to do us a better deal.
I'm trying to be open minded about this. But I can't get passed the idea that Tesco is cheaper than my corner shop because they can buy in bulk? Or am I missing something?

The EU only does limited trade deals, so when you see the headline....EU Japan reach trade deal, you have to dig beneath the headline to reveal the true story.

The EU only does limited deals because protectionism is their priority first and foremost.

This is not what we want for the UK. The UK over time needs to cultivate bi-lateral deals with the rest of the world. Trade with Europe will not disappear, contrary to remoaner beliefs, but future UK growth and out performance of the Euro zone can only come from wider cooperation with the rest of the world. This is where all the growth of the future lies.

Last edited:
The EU only does limited deals because protectionism is their priority first and foremost.

This is not what we want for the UK. The UK over time needs to cultivate bi-lateral deals with the rest of the world.

Excellent CV, it's easy to not see the wood for the trees.
I've been reading up on the benefits of free trade this morning. Then I'll start reading up on the benefits of trade agreements.
Thanks

I don't fully understand you.
Ok so I get that if we are unable to get trade deals with other non-EU countries which were not as good as the EU can get with other non EU countries, this would not be a good enough reason for you to be in the EU?

But I don't understand your caveat under which you would want to stay in the EU? -
"unless they allow us to trade with them without being a member of course"

There are less obvious benefits to staying in the EU other than a trade deal, such as the close cooperation between academic institutions for example (however I can't see why that would not continue once we are out). There are others that the media doesn't focus on.

But staying in the EU means political and legal integration, the EU won't accept anything less so there is nothing worth staying in for to accept that compromise, unless they change their minds. We need to be out of the political union above all else.

It's arguable that even if we left with a no deal that we would actually be out given that our military command structures are now subordinate to the EU. Once a nation has lost command of it's military structures to a higher command then we are de facto still in the EU.

This is what I don't understand.
The EU has bigger buying power than us.
So why would the likes of Australia be able to do us a better deal.
I'm trying to be open minded about this. But I can't get passed the idea that Tesco is cheaper than my corner shop because they can buy in bulk? Or am I missing something?

No, I don't believe that you are missing anything. What I have heard ( and I'm getting so fed up that I'm not listening to much!) is that if a country, like Aussie, was to open a trade agreement with UK, it is likely to be in breach of one that it has with EU.

The whole thing is a bucket of worms and will take years to sort out.

In the meantime---Good Luck.

No, I don't believe that you are missing anything. What I have heard ( and I'm getting so fed up that I'm not listening to much!) is that if a country, like Aussie, was to open a trade agreement with UK, it is likely to be in breach of one that it has with EU.

The whole thing is a bucket of worms and will take years to sort out.

In the meantime---Good Luck.

What’s the source for this?

Oh boy!

With due respect that question highlights how little awareness some people have about what the common market means and the advantages it bestows on UK industry. :(

Maybe so, but I am only asking for the source so I can have a read?

Excellent CV, it's easy to not see the wood for the trees.
I've been reading up on the benefits of free trade this morning. Then I'll start reading up on the benefits of trade agreements.
Thanks

Your questions are very potent and go straight to the heart of the matter.

If free trade or trade under WTO is so fab why try and strike bilateral trade agreements?

If there are 9 countries, that'll mean 9 bilateral agreements. Try managing those with all having unique set of rules and regulations plus supporting apparatus for settling disputes. They may be similar and in many other respects different.

Then claim it is superior to the one we currently have with the EU - the biggest trading block by GDP in the World and disposable income next door on our step.

Comical. Laughable. Hillarious. Except it is not. Because, Brexiteers like Govey, Boris and Mogey and CV managing to sell it to the mass public who believe them. :(

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/press/index.cfm?id=1862

Looks like Australia following on heels of Japan's agreement.

Now why would Australia be so keen to do something so foolish as this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...lks-australia-new-zealand-brexit-commonwealth

For starters, I'm trying to find the paragraph where the EU tells us that if a country such as NZ or OZ strike a deal with the UK then it will be against the terms of any trade deal that those countries have with the EU?

Secondly the Guardian article reads that the EU is negotiating in parts of the world that it has not needed to consider until now, is that not just BAU?

I'm not getting the 'it's bad news for Britain sentiment' that you guys are projecting!

For starters, I'm trying to find the paragraph where the EU tells us that if a country such as NZ or OZ strikes a deal with the UK then it will be against the terms of any trade deal that those countries have with the EU?

Secondly, the Guardian article reads that the EU is negotiating in parts of the world that it has not needed to consider until now, is that not just BAU?

I'm not getting the 'it's bad news for Britain sentiment' that you guys are projecting!

I don't know about the link or the source you want to specifically see but the way the common market works is that countries within can trade freely between member states but have an obligation to maintain common tariffs externally.

So if Australia signs up to EU common market and is buying wine and champagne from France it can not enter into another agreement to buy wine and champagne from the UK without implementing the common external WTO or EU tariffs on UK imports.

Don't know if anyone remembers 'the' famous banana wars but although that was with the US it was more about the source of the bananas, EU favouring it's partners over Latin American bananas. This has always been the case with EU.

You could say it's protectionism, favouritism or just good business practice keeping trade in the family. Circulate money within the community so we all get rich. (y)

I don't know about the link or the source you want to specifically see but the way the common market works is that countries within can trade freely between member states but have an obligation to maintain common tariffs externally.

So if Australia signs up to EU common market and is buying wine and champagne from France it can not enter into another agreement to buy wine and champagne from the UK without implementing the common external WTO or EU tariffs on UK imports.

Don't know if anyone remembers 'the' famous banana wars but although that was with the US it was more about the source of the bananas, EU favouring it's partners over Latin American bananas. This has always been the case with EU.

You could say it's protectionism, favouritism or just good business practice keeping trade in the family. Circulate money within the community so we all get rich. (y)

Finally he admits it. :LOL:(y):):clap:

But this contradicts the very last para of the Guardian article where Cecilia Malmström, the European commissioner for trade says:

“Starting these talks between likeminded partners sends a strong signal at a time where many are taking the easy road of protectionism.”

It looks like someone hasn't got their thinking straight on this, I can't work out if it's you or Cecilia Malmström. But given that the EU is full of contradictions, then I'll go with Cecilia Malmström and just assume the EU has moved the goalposts on you and you just need to catch up.

Or the Guardian has got it wrong?

Yes, I can see the difficulty of trying to negotiate with the EU, not to be trusted an inch (or a centimetre :D)

Finally he admits it. :LOL:(y):):clap:

What rubbish are you talking about now???

I've always said it is protecting one's industry and economy.

It's good business practice to have favoured preferred trading partners.

Sparky you sound like you just discovered sliced bread. Keep up old bean :)

But this contradicts the very last para of the Guardian article where Cecilia Malmström, the European commissioner for trade says:

“Starting these talks between likeminded partners sends a strong signal at a time where many are taking the easy road of protectionism.”

It looks like someone hasn't got their thinking straight on this, I can't work out if it's you or Cecilia Malmström. But given that the EU is full of contradictions, then I'll go with Cecilia Malmström and just assume the EU has moved the goalposts on you and you just need to catch up.

Or the Guardian has got it wrong?

Yes, I can see the difficulty of trying to negotiate with the EU, not to be trusted an inch (or a centimetre :D)

I'm sure you are right SC and EU have fumbled the issues again.

Carry on Brexiteering (y)