Brexit and the Consequences

Nope, I'll inject some spice when needed, thanking you very much, 9-5, Monday to Friday are for the grey faces in life, get on the train, get off the train or is it get on the bus, get off the bus as my old Sergeant Major used to say :cheesy:

Yup, I go along with that. And presumably you are talking about the Gravy Train. ;)

I go out for a couple of hrs and it all starts again.:LOL:

There is no going back, we won't be part of any customs union, we won't be part of any single market, we won't be having free movement. It's all change remoaners and you lost the debate, so that's it really.

Three cheers for Brexit and well done the UK for liberating Europe once again.

:clap::clap::clap:

Interesting, thanks. We have been keeping an eye on prices for some time now, plenty of choice still. Off for a tour of the Vendee and areas later in the year :)

Yeah, don't bother buying anything yet....things are going to get a whole lot cheaper in Europe soon. :LOL:

Once again CV you seem to be talking about domestic UK politics and as per silver bullet believe Brexit will raise standard and quality of politicians representing the so called 52% in Parliament.

This is democracy at work. It is fluid.

It is even debatable / questionable if we have a vote on the deal from Brexit fiasco you'll even get that same number.

So once again you are mixing up domestic politics with Brexit. UKIP was the party of Brexit and where are they now.

Tories simply shot them selves in the foot and Labour leader in Corbyn is an accidental opportunist. Both disasters. However, I'd choose Corbyn over Tories any day.

Once again you are truly a confused puppy.

I know numbers are not your strong point, but this is worth a watch.
If you don't understand the message, don't worry, i'll help out as best I can. (y)

There hasn’t been much said from the Lib-Dem leader regarding Brexit, What’s his name again ???

Time for some Farage. (y)

Farage to Leroy, "so has Jeremy Corbyn shot himself in the foot today"
Leroy to Farage, "I wish he had shot himself in the head"
:clap::LOL::clap::LOL::clap:

Last edited:
In my view from Britain leaving the European union I believe the latter has suffered more, since other countries may also follow the example of England.

In my view from Britain leaving the European union I believe the latter has suffered more, since other countries may also follow the example of England.

Suffered what?

Right now EU countries lapping up businesses leaving UK.

Predominantly finance, EuroDollar clearing and EMA. Motor industry and pharmaceuticals along with R&D funding to follow.

On one side we are losing tangibles and on the other hand we have people like Liam Fox talking hot air.

In his opening speech he talks about what kind of economy do we want to have?

I've listened to his speech and other than words I didn't catch an answer to his rhetorical question setting up appetites and delivers nothing but empty words.

We can do this, sure we can. In my head I can run a marathon under two hours. I know I can coz I visualised my self doing it whilst watching it on telly. :LOL::LOL:

Suffered what?

Predominantly finance, EuroDollar clearing and EMA. Motor industry and pharmaceuticals along with R&D funding to follow.

On one side we are losing tangibles and on the other hand we have people like Liam Fox talking hot air.

I've listened to his speech and other than words I didn't catch an answer to his rhetorical question setting up appetites and delivers nothing but empty words.

We can do this, sure we can. In my head I can run a marathon under two hours. I know I can coz I visualised my self doing it whilst watching it on telly. :LOL::LOL:

Now this is the kind of attitude you need to adopt. I remember it from the Thatcher era. She spoke, we did. Worked very well for all those who understood.

Well done Atilla, I feel you are turning a corner here. (y)

Suffered what?

Yes, by design (after Maggie’s bloodletting) the financial sector became the mainstay of our economy. London became the European financial hub despite continual rumblings from Germany and France and we had to be pretty fierce in protecting the City. Now the money men in Frankfurt and Paris are rubbing their hands in glee as we gift the European business their way and cast the City adrift.

Unfortunately our bankers and financiers have shot themselves in the foot by their excesses so will not garner much sympathy. Nonetheless the loss of business will be a very significant dent to our economy. To think the City will be beholden to the grace and favour of the EU for the continuation of its European business is shocking.

Now this is the kind of attitude you need to adopt. I remember it from the Thatcher era. She spoke, we did. Worked very well for all those who understood.

Well done Atilla, I feel you are turning a corner here. (y)

fantasist
ˈfantəsɪst/
noun
noun: fantasist; plural noun: fantasists

a person who imagines or dreams about something desired.

Keep dreaming :)

Yes, by design (after Maggie’s bloodletting) the financial sector became the mainstay of our economy. London became the European financial hub despite continual rumblings from Germany and France and we had to be pretty fierce in protecting the City. Now the money men in Frankfurt and Paris are rubbing their hands in glee as we gift the European business their way and cast the City adrift.

Unfortunately our bankers and financiers have shot themselves in the foot by their excesses so will not garner much sympathy. Nonetheless the loss of business will be a very significant dent to our economy. To think the City will be beholden to the grace and favour of the EU for the continuation of its European business is shocking.

Don't believe the hype Jon. Follow the money.

Record levels of inward investment from across the globe.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-figures-show-uk-attracts-more-investment-than-ever

Don't believe the hype Jon. Follow the money.

Record levels of inward investment from across the globe.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-figures-show-uk-attracts-more-investment-than-ever

You mean that piece from our Mr Fox isn’t hype :LOL:

Doesn’t have much to do with the financial sector, anyway. Time will tell how much business is switched to Frankfurt and Paris. It was difficult enough to keep their noses out when we’re in the EU - don’t much fancy our chances when we’re out.

You mean that piece from our Mr Fox isn’t hype :LOL:

Doesn’t have much to do with the financial sector, anyway. Time will tell how much business is switched to Frankfurt and Paris. It was difficult enough to keep their noses out when we’re in the EU - don’t much fancy our chances when we’re out.

I'll get back to you on this.

The word is, now business knows what the direction of travel is, they are already gearing up for an explosion of new business in financial services. The city is already securing up to 10% more office space in London ready for expansion.

On manufacturing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/liam-fox-highlights-success-of-british-manufacturing

Whilst I do sincerely hope that things turn out well for both the UK and the EU, whatever the longer term effects there is going to some instability over the next few years, at least.

I understand that it's fashionable (at least for the majority on this thread) to ignore history and the only thing I can say to counter this attitude is that this is at least akin - if not identical - to ignoring context....which tends to turn out badly when making decisions.

Another recurrent theme here is a general failure to recognize what life is really like in other parts of the EU. Yes, ignorance can be bliss but deliberate ignorance makes for a pretty good facsimile for stupidity.

....and whilst I'm on the subject of ignorance: ignoring what politicians say is something that we should have all learned to do in our youth (apologies to the still youthful) and listening to mainstream media for accurate and truthful information should be treated in the same way. Most people here are traders and as traders I'd suggest that we are used to gathering our own data, doing our own analysis and making our own decisions - it's curious that when faced with a decision that will affect our great grand-children we abandon this approach and put our faith in.....Who or what exactly?

...and now for some boring old history / context. Liam Fox (another not very talented individual who happened to put himself up for election) tells us that the UK is doing well in manufacturing and yes, using certain criteria, things do look pretty good - like if you ignore how well the rest of the EU is doing. Relative and absolute performance are poles apart and willfully ignoring the unassailable fact that the rest of the world is changing whilst trumpeting Britain's own change is either cynical or short-sighted, depending on your side of the fence. Being sort of "on the fence" myself, I think it's both.

To illustrate what's actually been going on (which has very little to do with the EU) please see the attached ONS pic which shows how the UK is doing when it comes to manufacturing. Though the ONS numbers are not wholly Holy Writ, they're on balance probably more reliable than anything that comes out of a politician's preferred orifice or from the inventive pen of some sensationalist hack.

For your delectation: https://visual.ons.gov.uk/uk-trade-partners/

An amusing aside to the Fox's manufacturing speech is that he referred to those lovely jobs that would be secured by making some grommets for Airbus - a heavier than air machine currently manufactured by EADS, the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company. I'm sure that the irony of his mentioning this is not lost on you....and just in case any one would like to point out that EADS and Airbus are different animals, do have a gander at who actually runs Airbus.

http://www.airbus.com/company/corporate-governance/organisation.html

Attachments

• Screenshot (147).png
    Screenshot (147).png
    139.6 KB · Views: 63
.....things do look pretty good - ... if you ignore how well the rest of the EU is doing.

Released this morning: French GDP increased by 0.6% in Q4 2017

https://www.insee.fr/en/statistiques/3315345

...and for the UK

Release date: 22 February 2018

"UK gross domestic product (GDP) in volume terms was estimated to have increased by 0.4% between Quarter 3 (July to Sept) and Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2017; this is a 0.1 percentage point revision down from the preliminary estimate of GDP, in part reflecting a small downward revision to the estimated output of the production industries."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp

Last edited by a moderator:
With us being traders and analysts, do you wonder if we over analyse and get far to deep into these figures,? I mean, how will it have a direct affect on me personally if GDP dropped by 1% ?? There’s more to life, and more important things to worry about, none of us are getting out of this place alive you know...:LOL: