Brexit and the Consequences

This angers me so much. BBC news

'Migrants in Calais seeking asylum in the UK should be allowed to lodge their claim in France'

France can go find the biggest carrot growing in its farmlands and shove it right up its @rse

I believe that it is the UK's argument that asylum seekers should lodge their claim in the first country that they enter. France is not their first country, is it? France allowed them in, so it should be France's obligation to send them back, IMO.

There is a humanitarian problem when ships pick them up. Merchant ships are stuck with them because few countries will take them in.

When I was at sea in 1949 (times have changed, since then, I'm sure) we picked up three Spaniards, fleeing from Franco's wrath! I don't know what they had done, but we had to carry them around with us. We had an Italian crew, so they mixed in ok with them. In the end they jumped ship, somewhere, much to the Old Man's relief. There are these legal problems with international laws and it can takes years to get them changed.

It's only because there are so many that it gets media atention, otherwise, it would get none.

May Plans to Let U.K. Parliament ‘Have a Say’ on Brexit Trigger

This surely must be so. Otherwise referendums become law without Parliamentary approval... :rolleyes:

An interesting report but totally without dependable or attributable sources. As it is in direct conflict with other "reports" it really ought to be consigned to the worthless junk pile also. May could of course let Parliament have a "say" without having to have a vote – maybe that is what is alluded to in the Bloomberg report? 544 MPs voted to have the referendum, if they now want to change their mind because they don't like the result what does this say for democracy? Isn't that what the EEC politburo does? I seem to remember they had 3 votes in Ireland before they got it right over Maastricht!

The People voted for BREXIT – why can't people accept that? Based on the "let's have another vote" argument perhaps we should rerun some of the General Elections that weren't to our liking?

I can see that the latest EEC monkeying with Apple in Ireland is going to make the Irish really enthusiastic about staying. I think we are now starting to see the beginnings of a domino effect – isn't it always the English that have upset the European applecart in history. :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
An interesting report but totally without dependable or attributable sources. As it is in direct conflict with other "reports" it really ought to be consigned to the worthless junk pile also. May could of course let Parliament have a "say" without having to have a vote – maybe that is what is alluded to in the Bloomberg report? 544 MPs voted to have the referendum, if they now want to change their mind because they don't like the result what does this say for democracy? Isn't that what the EEC politburo does? I seem to remember they had 3 votes in Ireland before they got it right over Maastricht!

The People voted for BREXIT – why can't people accept that? Based on the "let's have another vote" argument perhaps we should rerun some of the General Elections that weren't to our liking?

I can see that the latest EEC monkeying with Apple in Ireland is going to make the Irish really enthusiastic about staying. I think we are now starting to see the beginnings of a domino effect – isn't it always the English that have upset the European applecart in history. :LOL::LOL:

Hear what you say about democracy but this referendum fiasco doesn't rest well with me as I like to say campaigning was based on lies and deceits with no real facts and many misconceptions. Even Theresa May and the Tories talk of limiting migration to 100,000 and we are told it is over 300,000. Now we are told it will not be less but simply controlled is what the Brexit camp meant. LOL. Wish they said what they meant instead of leading up the garden path eh?

Re: Apple fine, remember US also fined BNP $10bn and this is probably a tit for tat.

What was BNPs crime? Trade with Sudan, Iran and Cuba!!! Both Iran and Cuba, US is now perfectly happy trading with. How bloody serious was that breach? $10bn they say???? Realy now :mad:

Apple should pay. Big enough. Alternatively it can take it's profits back to US and pay there :sneaky:

Last edited:
Split is worried about forced repatriation to the grey and rainy inward looking UK

So the Irish was bailed out by EU taxpayers whilst at the same time 'giving' billions away to private companies, no wonder the EU want some of its money back, which company is next?

So the Irish was bailed out by EU taxpayers whilst at the same time 'giving' billions away to private companies, no wonder the EU want some of its money back, which company is next?

Without the Irish tax sweeteners would Apple (and other companies) have been in Ireland in the 1st place? Without these companies the Irish situation would have been pretty grim.

Until there is a proper international taxation system this sort of thing will go on. This guy has some good ideas: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ws-why-corporation-tax-is-an-outdated-anachr/

Without the Irish tax sweeteners would Apple (and other companies) have been in Ireland in the 1st place? Without these companies the Irish situation would have been pretty grim.

Until there is a proper international taxation system this sort of thing will go on. This guy has some good ideas: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ws-why-corporation-tax-is-an-outdated-anachr/

Beware, if you are suggesting harmonisation of international taxation laws as that sounds awfully European to me. :cheesy:

Good idea though, being European I endorse it (y)

And another http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-taxpayers-funded-Irelands-14bn-bail-out.html

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 632
Beware, if you are suggesting harmonisation of international taxation laws as that sounds awfully European to me. :cheesy:

And another http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-taxpayers-funded-Irelands-14bn-bail-out.html

Whatever you do – don't make it European! :LOL::LOL:

But there has to be some way where highly profitable multinationals pay tax somewhere. As always, the commercial brain runs rings round the incompetent/inexperienced/gravy-train civil servants and their ilk.

And another http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-taxpayers-funded-Irelands-14bn-bail-out.html[/QUOTE

Agreed! Although I am not quite as European as you, believe it or not!

I say this because I mentioned the news to my wife, who is more European than both of us, even. Catalan/Spaniards are the fiercest kind!. "About time, too," were her sentiments. "Those big global companies are getting rich by not payig taxes and laughing at our expense"

So, I have to watch it, between you lot and the Home Front!:D

. . . So, I have to watch it, between you lot and the Home Front!:D
Split doesn't need my advice but, for any youngsters subscribed to this thread, I have a really valuable tip to pass on . . .
Make sure that 95% of your focus is on 'the Home Front' and only 5% on us lot!
;)