Terrorism????...Blame America!!!!

I'm light on fact here, so forgive my vagueness and any mistakes.

How effective is a UN mandate and how often do all members of the security council agree on a particular issue. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to go it alone, look at Kosovo, Blair took a stand, the US was inititally against it but i was the right course of action.

I'm light on fact here, so forgive my vagueness and any mistakes.

How effective is a UN mandate and how often do all members of the security council agree on a particular issue. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to go it alone, look at Kosovo, Blair took a stand, the US was inititally against it but i was the right course of action.

Like me, you may be light on fact in this instance but, also like me, I think that you have reservations! I know how frustrated the US has been on UN decision making in previous years and it ceased its funding of the UN for many years. Let us face it, if the Russians were breathing down my neck, I would not be comfortable having to wait for t UN resolutions and I suspect that not many of the anti-American brigade on this thread would be, either!

Now, we had a UN resolution on Darfur the other week (month?). Let us see how long it takes to get cracking. Probably after the summer holidays, if we are lucky.

Split

Atilla, I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your post 75 and do hope that we will continue to exchange points of view, but not on this. It is not that I have any disagreement with you, or anyone, over Iraq, but there is a strong element of "Hate America" running through the world just now, that dismays me. Sarkozy has just made an arms agreement with Gadaffi. The release of that doctor and nurses was just a pretext. No one shows any interest in that or the French sale of arms to iran, during their war with Iraq, causing the deaths of an untold number of people over several years.

The arms industries of both the UK and Spain are both alive and thriving. How many people have been killed by them. An untold number, but America must not be, actively, interested in a war. That, immediately, strikes up screams of "unfair" from the rabble rousers, who see no harm in their own people earning big money in the arms industry. Don't mention the Russian plutonium industry or their famous Kalashnikov rifle. The prejudices against the US are so hypocritical that it beggars belief.

My desire for America, in the future, is that she avoids sending troops to any more trouble spots. That goes for the UK, too. Let someone else do it.

If the US went into Iraq to control the oil market, then they made a mistake. There is no way that, even they, are going to do that.

Anyway, here I go again. Enough!.

Good wishes.

Split

Hi Splitlink,

Thank you for your kind words. I was being cheeky with this post. I wasn't really sulking but still appreciate your post.

Everybody needs a policeman and the US had it's highs during Clinton era. If anybody reads Richard C Clarkes book Against All Enemies, the National Security Adviser to three presidents, he points out that Clinton wanted to hit Osama in Afghanistan to the point of sending Delta squads in there to get him.

Apparently the Republicans started coughing scandal as they didn't want attention moved away from that blow job fiasco. They said Clinton was war mongering to distract attention from his domestic troubles. Hence nothing came of it.

UN is good but just like a bent copper you need to use it for good not bad.

You need to call actions for what it's worth rather than giving anybody the benefit of the doubt pheraps based on past actions.

Milosovich was a mere titchy peon for Russia playing proxy wars. Milo couldn't have done anything without Russian backing. As they extended their influence there was a potential confrontation with Macedonia and Greece and other states brewing on the horizon. So Europe and more importantly US told Russia where to get off.

I do concur that we need to have international police in the UN and it still needs to be checked and monitored. In the case of Iraq once again US & UK made a bad call.

Coming in to work this morning reading the papers the UK death tally since Feb is 59. I was thinking what good has come about from these deaths. In the same paragraph I read BAE systems have increased profits by another 100m to 700m and it all made sense. As for the families of those dead I feel so sorry for. On both sides.

**** way to make money just wonder if they can't do something better with 10bn spent funding the bloddy war.:cry:

I had an idea that you might be pulling my leg a little because of the smileys but, once I had decided that I was wrong, I didn't want to take the chance that you would never speak to me again. :eek: :cry:

Split

Anybody Trading This Afternoon?

Round and Round we go...

Let's take another viewpoint on this. Let's assume the thread title is totally 100% correct and al the anti-US stuff in this thread is also totally, absolutely correct.

You have now successfully apportioned blame (for pretty much everyhting it seems)/

Now, it's your turn...

...to sort it all out.

What do you do?

Genuine question.

as you asked so nicely ;)

The biggest mistake the US has made in the last decade and half is to use too many of it's resources outside it's own borders...bearing in mind this is now officially a mature economy with a highly developed and costly social bureaucracy.
This is not about whether it is right ,or wrong to blow the legs off someone half way around the world. It's about not acting outside one's self interests. On a cost benefit analysis my intuitive take would be that the US came out on the wrong side of the deal longterm although I can appreciate that political short terms objectives may have been satisfied. This should be the basic argument for them to reconsider how they negotiate with the rest of the world.If it is, they will put the guns away and start using their most effective weapons, which afterall, is their consumer society. I would have made the Chinese etc 'bleed' much more for access to same.

Round and Round we go...

Let's take another viewpoint on this. Let's assume the thread title is totally 100% correct and al the anti-US stuff in this thread is also totally, absolutely correct.

You have now successfully apportioned blame (for pretty much everyhting it seems)/

Now, it's your turn...

...to sort it all out.

What do you do?

Genuine question.

I was in favour of the invasion, I admit it. But I am on record in other forums, not on T2W, I don't think, as saying "only if the majority of the country was in favour" . This was not so, and Blair was lucky not to lose the election. Aznar, of Spain, went in with only a year to go before the elections and he lost. It was, probably, more obvious in Spain that the country was not behind the government in this. This unpopular decision against the majority's wishes is the main problem, today. If the population did not want a war in Iraq, then, they certainly don't feel any better about it, today.

Aznar had another problem that the UK does not have. Morocco wants Ceuta and Melilla back and we, also, have the ETA terrorist question. This explains his decision to side with the US and UK on the anti-terrorist front,so that he was owed a favour.

What to do? We have to see it out, especially the US.

Split

as you asked so nicely ;)

The biggest mistake the US has made in the last decade and half is to use too many of it's resources outside it's own borders...bearing in mind this is now officially a mature economy with a highly developed and costly social bureaucracy.
This is not about whether it is right ,or wrong to blow the legs off someone half way around the world. It's about not acting outside one's self interests. On a cost benefit analysis my intuitive take would be that the US came out on the wrong side of the deal longterm although I can appreciate that political short terms objectives may have been satisfied. This should be the basic argument for them to reconsider how they negotiate with the rest of the world.If it is, they will put the guns away and start using their most effective weapons, which afterall, is their consumer society. I would have made the Chinese etc 'bleed' much more for access to same.

....yes......

Round and Round we go...

Now, it's your turn...

...to sort it all out.

What do you do?

Genuine question.

Excellent question... This is what we should be talking about...

Richard A Clarke author of Againts All Enemies has the right answers and is qualified to comment.

He has 30 years' experience in security and was the US National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism from 1998 until he resigned in March 2003. Many of his colleagues have also resigned, sickened by the Bush administration's failure to focus on getting Al Qa'ida.

On 25 January 2001, Clarke proposed 'urgently' a plan to eliminate Al Qa'ida, but the Bush government took no notice because it was fixated on Iraq. Clarke consistently pointed out to them that there had been no Iraqi-sponsored terrorism against the USA since 1993. (Last September, Bush at last admitted that there was 'no evidence that Iraq was involved in the September 11 attacks'.)

The day after, Clarke went to the White House expecting " to go back to a round of meetings examining what the next attacks could be, what our vulnerabilities were, what we could do about them in the short term. Instead, I walked into a series of discussions about Iraq. At first I was incredulous that we were talking about something other than getting al Qaeda. Then I realized with almost a sharp physical pain that Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz were going to try to take advantage of this national tragedy to promote their agenda about Iraq. Since the beginning of the administration, indeed well before, they had been pressing for a war with Iraq."
He writes, "Many thought that the Bush administration was doing a good job of fighting terrorism when, actually, the administration had squandered the opportunity to eliminate al Qaeda and instead strengthened our enemies by going off on a completely unnecessary tangent, the invasion of Iraq.
A new al Qaeda has emerged and is growing stronger, in part because of our own actions and inactions. It is in many ways a tougher opponent than the original threat we faced before September 11 and we are not doing what is necessary to make America safer from that threat."
The war in Afghanistan should have been a rapid search-and-destroy mission by US troops on the ground against the terrorists. Instead, bin Laden, his deputy Ayman Zawahiri and Mullah Omar, the Taliban's leader, all escaped. The Taliban was not eliminated; they are rebuilding their forces.
Attacking Iraq made us all less secure and strengthened the radical Islamic terrorist movement. There were far more terrorist attacks in the thirty months since 9/11 than in the thirty months before it: there have been jihadist atrocities in Russia, Tunisia, Pakistan, Indonesia, Morocco, Turkey and other countries. The US Army War College's Strategic Studies Institute concluded that the attack on Iraq was 'a strategic error of the first magnitude'. Clarke concludes, "Nothing America could have done would have provided al Qaeda and its new generation of cloned groups a better recruitment device than our unprovoked invasion of an oil-rich Arab country."

Chapter 11 - Right War, Wrong War - A short extract

"It did not have to be this way. We did not have to go after Iraq after September 11. Imagine an alternative scenario in which a President mobilized the country to deal with the fundamental problems revealed by the terrorist attacks.

What would a successful and comprehensive counterterrorism effort have looked like after September 11?

"It would have consisted of three key agenda items. First, the President would have engaged in a massive effort to eliminate our vulnerabilities to terrorism at home and strengthen homeland security. Second, he would have launched a concerted effort globally to counter the ideology of al Quaeda and the larger radical Islamic terrorist movement with a partnership to promote the real Islam, to win support for common American and Islamic values, and to shape an alternative to the populare fundamentalist approach. Third, he would ahve been active with key countries not just to round up terrorists, end the sanctuaries, dry up the money, but also to strengthen open governments and make it possible politically, economically, and socially for them to go after the roots of al Qaeda-like terrorism. (The priority countries are Afghanistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan.) Nowhere on the list of things that should have been done after September 11 is invading Iraq. The things that we had to do would have required enormous attention and resources. they were not available because they were devoted to Iraq ..."

By -- Richard Clarke, Against All Enemies, p. 247 (Clarke, former National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counterterrorism, served under four presidents, resigning from the George W. Bush administration in March, 2003.

I am in much the same opinion as Richard Clarke. The US has wasted squandered an opportunity. For all those people who don't believe in conspiracies, it's difficult to move away from them when you read this book. Clarke doesn't say it's a conspiracy but Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney not only wasn't interested in Terrorism or Al-Qaida but actively wanting to launch an immediate war with Iraq contrary to all evidence. And so evidence was fabricated imo.

Solution is:

1. Pull the troops out. Hand total control to Iraqis.
2. Get rid of puppet regime which will never be accepted by majority of Iraqis
3. Elect a federal government with proportional representation - new constitution and new leaders - 20% Kurd, 20% Sunni, 55% Shia, 5% other what ever the figures.
4. Open up construction of Iraq to all countries
5. Get the US to pay compensation for damage inflicted on Iraq
a. Assisting with humanitarian relief
b. Protecting natural resources and infrastructure
c. Facilitating the country's reconstruction and protection of its infrastructure and economy
d. Assisting with the establishment of key civilian services
e. Pay money to people who lost loved ones. If they can afford to pay $15,000 for Iraqis to leave they can pay $15,000 for them all to return.
ALL THE STUFF THEY DESTROYED

6. Proceeds from oil to be distributed according to popullation. Service and extraction of oil from Iraq to be opened up for tender to competitive bidder. None of this 70% for US oil company ****s.

Talk of Civil War is totally over done. Just as the Iraqis united in their winning of the Middle East football cup, they'll do so again to form their own country.

Then the US will have truly removed that evil stupid git Saddam from history and brought democracy to Iraq.

UN can play a big part in shaping this new system.

It's not effing rocket science. Is it.

With Iraqi oil price of oil will fall considerably. Coupled with peace and big regeneration in the area the whole region and globe will benefit from the stimulus to world trade, peace stability and reduced oil price.

Finally, US can devote it's energies and resources to catching and killing that ******* Osama bin-Ladin if he is not dead already. :idea:

Round and Round we go...

Now, it's your turn...

...to sort it all out.

What do you do?

Genuine question.

I'm very pessimistic about Iraq. It cannot get better while the US continues to occupy the country, and I think the only thing that will drive the US out is sufficiently high US casualties. Incidently the true level of US casualites is somewhat hidden by high ratio of the permanently maimed to the dead. A lot higher than in the Vietnam war due to better armour of all types and much better medical care.

If the US had a conscript army as in Vietnam, I think it might all be over by now. I don't think the US population would have put up with it. The generals have learned something from Vietnam.

There is a lot of silly talk along the lines of "We broke it, so it's up to us to fix it". But what if the original intention was to "break it" ? I watched in amazement the TV footage of the rampant unchecked looting immediately after the fall of Baghdad. Rumsfeld said something idiotic along the lines of they're just letting off steam now that they have their freedom ! My first thoughts were "What game are they up to here ?" and quickly arrived at the conclusion that the point was not just to remove Saddam, but to completely smash the Iraqi state. Why ? So that the US could rebuild it to suit itself and ensure that it could not become a centre for Arab nationalism. I also thought that "Balkanisation" might be end game and this may yet come to pass.

This initial unrestrained looting set the tone for what has been a defining characteristic of the occupation - rampant criminality. As the occupying power, the US had a responsibility to enforce law and order but it barely lifted a finger. The only government building protected in Baghdad was the Oil Ministry.

US policy in the middle east could be summed up as "creative destruction" and I believe that very influential figures in Washington think in exactly those terms. The prolonging of the Israeli attack on Lebenon for along as possible was justified very much along these lines. The lunatics in PNAC believe that the US by virtue of being the only super power can establish "Pax Americana" by military means. Tear down the old and rebuild something controllable by the US. Famously one the necons said to Seymour Hersh: "We make our own reality". This is bordering on insane.

We now see the instability spreading to Pakistan, and the US talking of air strikes on areas in Pakistan. Are they completely mad ? The US would also dearly like to foment ethnic insurgencies in Iran and is probably only holding back for fear of how Iran might retaliate in Iraq.

It is very clear that the only peace the US wants in the middle east is a peace completely on it's own terms. It's also very clear that this is not going to happen - hence my pessimistic outlook.

As for Iraq, the only real hope probably lies in the growth of a genuinely nationalist movement and leader that can transend sectarian divisions. There are some encouraging signs, but the US does it's best to destroy these for the very simple reason that the any such force would demand the exit of foreign occupiers. The US has stated that it is in Iraq to stay. They are not building those permanent mega militaty bases or the mother of all embassies for no reason. Pity the (remaining) population of Iraq.

Last edited:
Excellent question... This is what we should be talking about...

Solution is:

2. Get rid of puppet regime which will never be accepted by majority of Iraqis
3. Elect a federal government with proportional representation - new constitution and new leaders - 20% Kurd, 20% Sunni, 55% Shia, 5% other what ever the figures.
4. Open up construction of Iraq to all countries
5. Get the US to pay compensation for damage inflicted on Iraq
a. Assisting with humanitarian relief
b. Protecting natural resources and infrastructure
c. Facilitating the country's reconstruction and protection of its infrastructure and economy
d. Assisting with the establishment of key civilian services
e. Pay money to people who lost loved ones. If they can afford to pay $15,000 for Iraqis to leave they can pay $15,000 for them all to return.
ALL THE STUFF THEY DESTROYED

6. Proceeds from oil to be distributed according to popullation. Service and extraction of oil from Iraq to be opened up for tender to competitive bidder. None of this 70% for US oil company ****s.

Talk of Civil War is totally over done. Just as the Iraqis united in their winning of the Middle East football cup, they'll do so again to form their own country.

Then the US will have truly removed that evil stupid git Saddam from history and brought democracy to Iraq.

UN can play a big part in shaping this new system.

It's not effing rocket science. Is it.

With Iraqi oil price of oil will fall considerably. Coupled with peace and big regeneration in the area the whole region and globe will benefit from the stimulus to world trade, peace stability and reduced oil price.

Finally, US can devote it's energies and resources to catching and killing that ******* Osama bin-Ladin if he is not dead already. :idea:

As I see it, the easy part of your six points is that thge US pay compensation and pour money into Iraq.

The difficult part, if not impossible is

and then your 2,3, and 4.

I cannot see a federal government being formed by Iraqis, themselves.

Nevertheless, I see, now, more than I saw , then. They should have been left alone to get on with it. Hussein was a tyrant but he never had WMD,neither was there any proof that he favoured AQ against the West, although he could not have loved us, after we interfered in Kuwait.

However, what I think now is hindsight. As things stand today we cannot leave Iraq, until a strong federal government is in place and we are going to have to pour money into Iraq, whether we are there, or not.

The UN is useless. It's had plenty of opportunities, and still has, especially in Africa, to show its worth.

Split

I'm very pessimistic about Iraq. It cannot get better while the US continues to occupy the country, and I think the only thing that will drive the US out is sufficiently high US casualties. Incidently the true level of US casualites is somewhat hidden by high ratio of the permanently maimed to the dead. A lot higher than in the Vietnam war due to better armour of all types and much better medical care.

If the US had a conscript army as in Vietnam, I think it might all be over by now. I don't think the US population would have put up with it. The generals have learned something from Vietnam.

There is a lot of silly talk along the lines of "We broke it, so it's up to us to fix it". But what if the original intention was to "break it" ? I watched in amazement the TV footage of the rampant unchecked looting immediately after the fall of Baghdad. Rumsfeld said something idiotic along the lines of they're just letting off steam now that they have their freedom ! My first thoughts were "What game are they up to here ?" and quickly arrived at the conclusion that the point was not just to remove Saddam, but to completely smash the Iraqi state. Why ? So that the US could rebuild it to suit itself and ensure that it could not become a centre for Arab nationalism. I also thought that "Balkanisation" might be end game and this may yet come to pass.

This initial unrestrained looting set the tone for what has been a defining characteristic of the occupation - rampant criminality. As the occupying power, the US had a responsibility to enforce law and order but it barely lifted a finger. The only government building protected in Baghdad was the Oil Ministry.

US policy in the middle east could be summed up as "creative destruction" and I believe that very influential figures in Washington think in exactly those terms. The prolonging of the Israeli attack on Lebenon for along as possible was justified very much along these lines. The lunatics in PNAC believe that the US by virtue of being the only super power can establish "Pax Americana" by military means. Tear down the old and rebuild something controllable by the US. Famously one the necons said to Seymour Hersh: "We make our own reality". This is bordering on insane.

We now see the instability spreading to Pakistan, and the US talking of air strikes on areas in Pakistan. Are they completely mad ? The US would also dearly like to foment ethnic insurgencies in Iran and is probably only holding back for fear of how Iran might retaliate in Iraq.

It is very clear that the only peace the US wants in the middle east is a peace completely on it's own terms. It's also very clear that this is not going to happen - hence my pessimistic outlook.

As for Iraq, the only real hope probably lies in the growth of a genuinely nationalist movement and leader that can transend sectarian divisions. There are some encouraging signs, but the US does it's best to destroy these for the very simple reason that the any such force would demand the exit of foreign occupiers. The US has stated that it is in Iraq to stay. They are not building those permanent mega militaty bases or the mother of all embassies for no reason. Pity the (remaining) population of Iraq.

Spot on analysis DCraig. However, time and money are fast running out for the US. Just as the Afghan war brought the USSR to it's knees and knocked the stuffing out of the bear, this war will bring the US down from it's heights in terms of the economic power it once was.

Both USSR and China now building up their arms with new missiles and better technologies. The US air base they are building in Northern Iraq just outside Irbil is to replace their base in Turkey. This new airbase apparently can take their biggest B52s and cargo planes with a much further widened air strip. However, whether they can maintain it as a big fist to thump Central Asia as well as ME remains to be seen.

As I see it, the easy part of your six points is that thge US pay compensation and pour money into Iraq. I would have said this is the easiest but US will not pay.

The difficult part, if not impossible is

1. Pull the troops out. Hand total control to Iraqis. This should be part of the post war planning. No army engages in action without an exit plan? :rolleyes: Do they? The problem here is all the **** they'll leave behind. It will be hard and they'll need a lot of neighbouring countries to support them.

and then your 2,3, and 4.

I cannot see a federal government being formed by Iraqis, themselves. Why not. If the US can't achieve it in 4 years and half the cabinet has walked who can. People do find their own level. Even if the politicians mess up the Iraqi people will embrace their new Federal equal state after the last 50 years. Optimism and opportunity and good will with the common sense of the people will rejoice. Forgive me but I often hear the US and UK administration line of they need us to maintain the peace and order nonsense and it makes me angry. There are many peace brokers in the ME. Get Jordan, Syria, Turkey, Iran and Saudi Arabia Egypt all together and bring this equal fair presentation to the table with full UN support (without the blooming US and UK) and watch it crystalise before your very eyes. As I say if leaders don't vote for it the people will embrace. You underestimate the delivery of democracy and people power.

Nevertheless, I see, now, more than I saw , then. They should have been left alone to get on with it. Hussein was a tyrant but he never had WMD,neither was there any proof that he favoured AQ against the West, although he could not have loved us, after we interfered in Kuwait. You are right and nobody gave a toss about an impotent Saddam. No neighbouring country felt Iraq was a threat after the first Gulf war but the US and UK 000s of miles away. That's ironic isn't?

However, what I think now is hindsight. As things stand today we cannot leave Iraq, until a strong federal government is in place and we are going to have to pour money into Iraq, whether we are there, or not. You are not doing anything new here except the same old bad practice. You can't have a federal state with a puppet regime with US veto over every little **** decision. This is the crux of the problem. Iraqi consititution and government are not free or are they liberated. They are Washington shouting out these words which are baseless. This is a setup for US to extract oil nothing more. As DCraig points out other than the Oil Ministry US don't give a fucuk about Iraq, infrastructure, hospitals, schools, economy, water or electricity. Even the police and army are there to keep the people at bay not to protect the country. It is utter rubbish to think the country will slide into total civil war after they leave. Not if it is done with good intentions. At the moment US has lost 190,000 guns which it can't account for. It has been arming crooks and villains providing it does it's job. Quite the opposite is true imho as well as many other observers and analysts call for US and UK to leave as they are the problem.

Split

Take 1st step and step 2 will follow. Just like a baby learns to pull it self up, wobble and stand straight and take it's first few steps so will Iraq.

All the killing and destruction one day will stop.

When that day comes - that day will be a very bright day for me. Then I'll sing Allelluya out in my garden and do the jig round the apple tree. :D

As to what positive steps the US might take (if only some sanity would prevail), they could start with a little thing called diplomacy.

Instead of the constant threats towards Iran and Syria, it could provide security guarantees and inducements to enroll them in the fight against the Jihadis and Al Queda. Neither of these countries can possibly want Al Queda creating mayhem on their doorstep.

It could also choose to deal constructively with Hammas and Hezbollah. Both of these organizations clearly have their own constituencies and don't as a matter of policy engage in terrorist acts against the US. They are not going to go away short of genocidal extermination.

The constant US threats of more war in the Middle East cannot possibly be a stabilising influence.

As to what positive steps the US might take (if only some sanity would prevail), they could start with a little thing called diplomacy.

Instead of the constant threats towards Iran and Syria, it could provide security guarantees and inducements to enroll them in the fight against the Jihadis and Al Queda. Neither of these countries can possibly want Al Queda creating mayhem on their doorstep.

It could also choose to deal constructively with Hammas and Hezbollah. Both of these organizations clearly have their own constituencies and don't as a matter of policy engage in terrorist acts against the US. They are not going to go away short of genocidal extermination.

The constant US threats of more war in the Middle East cannot possibly be a stabilising influence.

1. UN expands role in Iraq

The resolution, which was presented by the United States and Britain, was approved unanimously by the council's 15 members.

The resolution calls on the UN to promote reconciliation between Iraq's rival factions and dialogue with neighbouring countries.

It requires UNAMI to "advise, support and assist" Iraqis on "advancing their inclusive, political dialogue and national reconciliation," reviewing their constitution, fixing internal boundaries and staging a census.

Some preparation for the get out of Iraq card...:rolleyes:

2. Bush warns al-Maliki on Iran

Bush said if al-Maliki thought Iran was constructive, he would have a heart-to-heart with him [Reuters]

The US president has rebuked Iraq's prime minister for speaking too favourably about Iran.

"If the signal [from Nuri al-Maliki] is that Iran is constructive, I will have to have a heart-to-heart with my friend, the prime minister. Because I don't believe they are constructive," George Bush said.

Last edited:
Both USSR and China now building up their arms with new missiles and better technologies. The US air base they are building in Northern Iraq just outside Irbil is to replace their base in Turkey. This new airbase apparently can take their biggest B52s and cargo planes with a much further widened air strip. However, whether they can maintain it as a big fist to thump Central Asia as well as ME remains to be seen.

Some interesting reading:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/IH04Ag01.html

Just curious, what do u think will come out of talks with Iran?

Mutual understanding and cooperation. Possibly economic trade and assistance from one neighbour to another. :D

Just curious why do you think Bush is upset about Maliki talking to Iran? :rolleyes:

Mutual understanding and cooperation. Possibly economic trade and assistance from one neighbour to another. :D

Just curious why do you think Bush is upset about Maliki talking to Iran? :rolleyes:

Because he (Bush) isn't talking to Iran, that's why. Maliki is not supposed to be friendly with those with whom Bush is at odds. Personally, if Maliki. by talking to Iran, can help get Bush out of some of the mess he is in, so much the better, I would have thought-

Split