Terrorism. New approach !

I know our present politicians are too soppy for collective responsibility but it is probably the only way to counter the lone wolf loonies.
It would encourage families to keep in close contact with " little precious " and make sure he hasn't got stuck in the terrorist phase that appeals to the weak minded youngsters sometimes.
We all go through phases of lunacy. It's a matter of riding out the bad periods/rotten advice and emerging victorious.

Terrorists, even suicidal terrorists, aren't mad, they're just impossible to understand in the way that mad people are, so we call them mad. But they're bad, not mad.

I've heard that the UK terrorist watch list is about 3,000. But even that is too many to physically "watch" so the name is a stupid choice by the authorities/politicians. Naturally we're not going to be told in detail what is being done as surveillance in individual cases but I'll bet its cheap simple automated stuff -
use of passports
unusual credit card transactions
purchasing flight tickets

After that I'm going to guess the security services have an informant that they ask to please let us know of so-and-so does something. After that they might go on a more active watch list.

There are two ways to approach marked suspects. One is to wait for them to initiate something really really bad. Of course, you might be 5 minutes too late and they already killed someone. This approach preserves the lines of intelligence and informants

But I wonder if the hoary old "zero tolerance" approach might not be viable? Let them suspect they're being actively watched all the time. So, one of the 3,000 on the watch list has a car with a faulty brake light - he's stopped every time he drives it, easy to arrange with ANPR pings. And he's searched and his car's searched every time, and all his passengers are ID-ed and logged and they're all searched too. And for any drugs found in the car, his home's searched too.

Pretty quick he gets the idea - and so do his friends - that he's a marked man. He becomes isolated and is cut off from terrorist activists. So are his friends.

It would be a new approach.

Terrorists, even suicidal terrorists, aren't mad, they're just impossible to understand in the way that mad people are, so we call them mad. But they're bad, not mad.

I've heard that the UK terrorist watch list is about 3,000. But even that is too many to physically "watch" so the name is a stupid choice by the authorities/politicians. Naturally we're not going to be told in detail what is being done as surveillance in individual cases but I'll bet its cheap simple automated stuff -
use of passports
unusual credit card transactions
purchasing flight tickets

After that I'm going to guess the security services have an informant that they ask to please let us know of so-and-so does something. After that they might go on a more active watch list.

There are two ways to approach marked suspects. One is to wait for them to initiate something really really bad. Of course, you might be 5 minutes too late and they already killed someone. This approach preserves the lines of intelligence and informants

But I wonder if the hoary old "zero tolerance" approach might not be viable? Let them suspect they're being actively watched all the time. So, one of the 3,000 on the watch list has a car with a faulty brake light - he's stopped every time he drives it, easy to arrange with ANPR pings. And he's searched and his car's searched every time, and all his passengers are ID-ed and logged and they're all searched too. And for any drugs found in the car, his home's searched too.

Pretty quick he gets the idea - and so do his friends - that he's a marked man. He becomes isolated and is cut off from terrorist activists. So are his friends.

It would be a new approach.

he would also be bloody cold and isolated if we put him at the north pole (y)

The only way is to win their hearts and minds. Sounds cliche i know but it's the truth.

he would also be bloody cold and isolated if we put him at the north pole (y)

An original idea, though we don't have jurisdiction over the North Pole. Yet.

If only we could justify deporting people who might start thinking very bad thoughts. Which we can't.

Don't give in to them ya dope. They are never satisfied.
Show a bit of courage - snotbag !

I'm not giving in to them or justifying what they do.

it's the worst crime against humanity that I can think of!