Terrorism????...Blame America!!!!

“1. declining moral values and political civility at home,
2. an overconfident and overextended military in foreign lands, and
3. fiscal irresponsibility by the central government.”

Perhaps you could suggest when any/all of these have been absent from a major power?

4. and 5. could be appointing your horse as an ambassador, and stealing Neptune’s treasure.

Fibonelli,

I didn’t know who Prechter was (had to look him up). His qualifications are somewhat sparse (unless MENSA membership is equivalent to a Fellow of the Royal Society).

“social mood trends are...predictable in the probabilistic sense". In other words, may or may not happen. So we hedge them just to be safe.

Perhaps no 6 (continuing from above) could be: an over-dependance on mavericks and parvenus.

Second the wikipedia restriction.

Damascus to Rome was always delayed by diversions – sorry, conversions.

What’s “EW”?

Grant.

Apologies gentlemen

1) Declining moral values and political civility at home . . . as has been pointed out on this thread earlier, it is rediculous to use twenty-first century, first-world moral standards to judge a socio-political organisation that existed 1500 years ago Prosecuters should be independent so for not bowing to the White House gets them sacked. Republicans like to think and feel they are Godlier than thou... So rule of law becomes a political football not "rule of law". I think you are going off at a obtuse tangent here :cheesy:

2 )Please do your own research and try to explain, with examples, in what way the Roman army was "overconfident" after (say) 400AD. The point is US is/was extended across Latin America, ME, Afghanistan and even occupies Germany and UK + few other bases here and there... How did the Roman army extend to the West, Africa and the East if it wasn't an extended empire? I'm not too strong on the precise timelines of the Romans other than their civilised barbarism. Key word here is similarities. As pointed out armies cost money to produce, sustain and if the booty ain't comin home sugar, you've wasted all that booty on smelly feet playing soldiers.

It wasn't. In was in retreat pretty much accross it's entire western and northern frontiers (with a couple of decades of exception during Diocletions (?) reign) for the next 1000 years*

3. fiscal irresponsibility by the central government.
Yes, both regimes were/are fiscally irresponsible but, yet again, you're not comparing like with like (eg the Roman economy was pretty much gold/silver based rather than fiat based) so this point is, imo, invalid.Fiscal irresponsibility = twin defecits, low dollar, low interest rates, tax cuts from uncle Bush. We are once again talking similarities...

Bottom line, this argument is typical lazy, sound-bite rubbish that, altho sounds good, fails to stand up to any rigorous academic examination.

Popular sound-bite lazy rubbish imo is They don't like our way of life, freedoms and democracry. War on Terror. The new fashionable Al-Qaida label on any attack in Iraq. For goodness sake, the very Al-Qaida terrorist locations or what ever his name was year or two ago - were given to the US by Sunni informants because they did not like or want Al-Qaida in their country.
E&OE as I'm at work atm.

I mean all that David Walker was doing is simply drawing some similarities that does stand and probably applies to a number of many other Empires inclusive of EW theory.

* you appreciate that the Empire was split into East & West with Constantinople being the East's capital untill it's fall to an islamic army in the 1450's?

Note to anyone who want's to take this further, I'm not gonna respond to anyone who thinks that Wikipedia (or actually pretty much anything off tinternet) is a valid source of info for this sort of thing.

What's with Islamic army. SO WHAT WAS THE ROMAN ARMY - PAGANS? :LOL:

For someone who has a good grasp of all this history - what was the name of this Islamic army?

So the Christian armies fought who?

Why the selective religeous distinctions if I may ask?

What's with Islamic army. SO WHAT WAS THE ROMAN ARMY - PAGANS? :LOL:

For someone who has a good grasp of all this history - what was the name of this Islamic army?

So the Christian armies fought who?

Why the selective religeous distinctions if I may ask?

? Suspect I wasn't being clear. Apologies.
I was referring to tha fall of Constantinople to an Ottoman army in 1450 something. By this time, the old Eastern Roman Empire had morphed into the Byzantine Empire. Religeously they would, I guess, have been something akin to what we would now describe as orthodox greek.

Fall Of Constantinople - Capital Of Ottoman Empire

I was referring to tha fall of Constantinople to an Ottoman army in 1450 something.

Well, actually it was just before breakfast on On Tuesday 29 May, 1453, at about 4 o'clock in the morning. :)

When the tragic hour struck, the emperor had only about 7000 men, including all foreign succour. Since March, 1453, the Turks, to the number of 200,000, had invested the city; the preceding year they had built on the Bosporus the redoubtable fortress of Rumeli-Hissar. Their fleet also held the entrance to the Dardanelles, but was prevented from entering the Golden Horn by a strong iron chain that barred its mouth. But Mohammed II caused seventy of his ships to slide on greased planks behind Galata; in this way they entered the Golden Horn (22 April). He then cast across it a bridge of boats broad enough to allow the passage of five soldiers abreast, while his troops, constantly renewed, kept up without ceasing their attacks by land. Eventually the defenders were exhausted by the toils of a continuous and hopeless conflict, while their ranks grew steadily thinner through death or wounds. The population gave no help and was content to taunt the Latins, while waiting for the miracle of Heaven that was to save them. Finally, 29 May, 1453, about 4 o'clock in the morning, a furious assault of the Turks broke down the walls and gates of the city, and the besiegers burst in from every side. Emperor Constantine fell like a hero at the gate of St.Romanus. St. Sophia was immediately transformed into a mosque, and during three days the unhappy city was abandoned to unspeakable excesses of cruelty and debauchery. The next year, at the demand of the sultan himself, Gennadius Scholarius, Rome's haughty adversary, was appointed Patriarch of Constantinople, and soon the Greek Church was reestablished, almost in its former position.
Thus was granted the sacrilegious prayer of so many Greeks, blinded by unreasoning hate, that henceforth, not the tiara, but the turban should rule in the city of Constantine. Even the name of the city was changed. The Turks call it officially (in Arabic) Der-es-Saadet, Door of Happiness, or (chiefly on coins) Konstantinieh. Their usual name for it is Stamboul, or rather Istamboul, a corruption of the Greek expression eis ten polin (pronounced stimboli), perhaps under the influence of a form, Islamboul, which could pass for "the city of Islam". Most of the churches, like St. Sophia, were gradually converted into mosques. This was the fate of SS. Sergius and Bacchus -- a beautiful monument built by Justinian, commonly called "the little St. Sophia"; of the church of the monastery of Khora, whose splendid mosaics and pictures, mostly of the fourteenth century, are among the principal curiosities of the city; of the churches of the celebrated Pantocrator and Studium monasteries, etc. Other churches were demolished and replaced by various buildings; thus the church of the Holy Apostles gave way to the great mosque built by the conquering Sultan Mohammed II. The imperial tombs in this church were violated; some of their gigantic red porphyry sarcophagi were taken to the church of St. Irene. The latter is the only church taken from the Greeks that has not been changed into a mosque or demolished; it became, and is yet an arsenal, or rather a museum of ancient weapons.
The sultans in turn endowed their new capital with many beautiful monuments. Mohammed II built the castle of Yedi-Kouleh, the Tchinili-Kiosk (now a museum), the mosques of Cheik Bokhari, of the Janizaries, of Kassim-Pasha, of Eyoub, where every sultan at his accession is obliged to be girt with the sword of Othman, etc. Bayazid II built the Bayazidieh (1458). Soliman the Magnificent built the Suleimanieh, the most beautiful Turkish monument in Constantinople. His architect Sinan constructed fifty other mosques in the empire. Ahmed I built (1610) the Ahmedieh on the foundations of the imperial Great Palace, a pretty fountain near St. Sophia, etc. The buildings of the old seraglio at Seraglio Point are also of Turkish origin; nothing is left of the Byzantine imperial palaces that once stood there. The Blachernæ palace has also disappeared; its church was accidentally burned in the seventeenth century. Not far distant are the important ruins of the palace of the Porphyrogenitus. When the Turks took Constantinople, the hippodrome was already in ruinous decay. There remain yet three precious monuments of ancient imperial splendour: the Egyptian obelisk brought thither by Theodosius the Great, the Serpentine Column brought from Delphi by Constantine, and the Byzantine monument known as the Walled-up Column. Near them has been constructed, on the plans and at the expense of the German Emperor, William II, a fountain in Byzantine style. The Turks have also respected some other relics of antiquity, especially the columns of Constantine, Marcian, Theodosius, and Arcadius, the aqueduct of Valens, and many of the great subterraneous cisterns.

This from an impeccable and some might say, an infallible source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04301a.htm

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

"Shanghai's World Financial Center, the tallest building in China upon completion, defied all known physics yesterday afternoon when it caught fire but did not collapse, a modern day miracle in light of the commonly accepted premise that since 9/11, all steel buildings that suffer limited fire damage implode within two hours.........".

"..........The World Financial Center in Shanghai bravely remains standing after fires gutted its top floors, a modern day miracle of science and a bizarre contradiction to the officially revised version of physics that came into effect on September 11, 2001.

The saving grace that could have rescued the Shanghai tower from imploding may have been the fact that it was not hit by a plane, as the twin towers were on 9/11.

However, the absence of a jet strike wasn't enough to prevent WTC 7 from crumbling into its own footprint within 7 seconds later that fateful afternoon.

Residents of Shanghai should rejoice that the building defied the revised version of basic physics that officially came into effect at 9:56am on September 11, 2001, and remained standing, avoiding a potential death toll of thousands.

The population of Madrid were similarly blessed in February 2005 when the 32-story Windsor Building (pictured above) was gutted by intense fires for 28 hours but did not collapse.

Hundreds of buildings worldwide suffered major fires that gutted the entire facade of their structure before 9/11 and did not collapse, but since the twin towers behaved differently, rather than consider an alternative explanation for the collapse of the towers, experts simply decided to reverse the fundamental precepts of all known physics to make it easier for everyone to understand. :rolleyes:

Since that time, it has been commonly accepted that limited fires in tall buildings are 99% certain to cause an almost instantaneous collapse.

http://www.infowars.com/articles/sept11/china_tallest_building_catches_fire_no_collapse.htm

"99% certain to cause an almost instantaneous collapse."...you start believing crap like this and you will be in serious issue areas....are you not familiar with the expression that 'there are lies and then there are statistics'....for a technical treatise on the subject please consult your nearest quants hedge fund manager...I am sure he will be able to explain the concept although not with clarity.

"99% certain to cause an almost instantaneous collapse."...you start believing crap like this and you will be in serious issue areas....are you not familiar with the expression that 'there are lies and then there are statistics'....for a technical treatise on the subject please consult your nearest quants hedge fund manager...I am sure he will be able to explain the concept although not with clarity.

and your point is? :confused:

Thank God, you are all leaving the Yanks alone.:)

Split

My NZder friend is doing the jig here in the office. Interest rate cut and falling dollar. What more can he ask for. He is virtually a millionaire over night. :LOL:

Thank God, you are all leaving the Yanks alone.:)

Split

I do hope you are not suggesting we go over there - invade - depose Bush administration and install our puppet regime to sort them out of their economic crises.

I say we let the American people have their own revolution...

Has anybody heard, Bush is threatening to veto - $20bn funding for alternative fuels?

President Bush is promoting his energy proposal too and could veto H.R. 6 over provisions that would outlaw gasoline price gouging and would subject OPEC to U.S. antitrust laws. The Senate vote on H.R. 6 was almost enough to override a presidential veto.

Gonzales Quits After Months of Turmoil Over Firings

Bush is an enemy of the American people. Fascist neo con that he is.

First Karl Rove now Gonzales. Once again this is to do with the sacking of prosecutors who did not share the white house politicians view. Drop the office and the white house - who did not share Bush'es view.

Also, mention of the spying vote that was passed. The white house now has power to spy on it's political contenders.

The enemy is within not outside.

Saddam's regime and his paranoia comes to mind.

President accuses the prosecutors of playing politics and dragging his good name through the mud. :LOL: :eek:

How hillarious is that.

That Bush bless him he is such a good little ol texan kind soul... :devilish:

McKinney, Sheehan, Tarpley
Warn Of New Cheney 911
The Kennebunkport Warning

http://www.rense.com/general78/warning.htm

Mystery trader bets market (EStx50) will crash by a third
http://www.financialnews-us.com/?page=ushome&contentid=2448565379

More Investors Are Betting on Major Selloff in Stocks (S&P500)
http://www.cnbc.com/id/20461003

Brian de Palma's Redacted shocks Venice

US bored soldiers mark out a house they've raided before where they take a fancy to a 14/15 year old girl.

They take the girl downstairs into a basement and the her family into another room where they kill them all.

They rape the girl for several hours, kill her and finally burn her body to destroy evidence.

They then try and make out they are heros for having eliminated insurgents.

One of the party films the events on his camera.

People who saw this film during the Venice film festival have been coming out crying and physically distrought.

I'm surprised they manage to keep the lid on the rape of 14 year old boys in front of their dads in the Abu Graib prison, but this one is likely to hit Hollywood, unless they stop it for US consumption.

Additional informative links on US abuses...

Redacted Stuns Venice - Reuters Report

Last edited:
Dick,

Thank you for “EW” explanation, and apologies for delay in acknowledgement.

Grant.