FTSE 100 intraday trading - JULY 2003

Bonsai,

Thanks again I have found the discussion most informative. Would have got back sooner but been printing the e-book. LOL

Fortunately I get days of during the week sometimes and it is those days that I am able to daytrade. It is for this reason that I have tended to stay away from longer holds as I am not in a good position to monitor them adequately and would have to rely on stops. I get about 8 to 10 days a month if I am lucky to trade so I am using this time to develop my trading plan with a view of going full time in a couple of years when it would be the best time financially for me to begin.

Now I am going to show my lack of knowledge, could you advise by what you mean by the term 'auction'. At a guess is it the US open, or the first and last 15 mins of the UK session.

Thanks again for the conversation (more like Q & A session) hope you don't mind but obviously I am trying to get to where you are at. For now I will concentrate my energies on the daytrading the daily trends with a bit of fun paper trading the longer position until I feel more comfortable.

I presume with your trading you are working with one system but applying it to different time scales rather than using more than one set-up.

I can see now why you have time to post during the day. With your skill on the computer with the chart set-ups you have devised I expect you have also got an alarm set for when a pre-determined entry or exit is hit. Now that would make life a bit easier, all I have got to do now is work out the ****** target. LOL and thanks again I do appreciate the time and effort you have freely given today. opps yesterday.

Kevin

briefly, the auction takes place immediately after 4.30
and accounts for the sometimes large movement betwen that price and the close. Think of it as a period where you can
buy/sell 'at the close'
my feed provides me with the close at about 4.36.

And yes, I do have audible alarms.

I don't want to sound negative but don't think you can get
to 'where I am' by picking my brains about the mechanics.

Trading, imo, is not about the mechanics and you can't make it
mechanical. There is no silver bullet.

It is much more about you as a person.
Really.

In the markets, you may think you are trading the market
but you are actually trading yourself, your personality, your
regrets , fears and ambitions. And most of all you are trading the
psychological baggage created by reinforced convictions from
previous trades.
It may sound like a lot of crap to some but it is my
recommendation that you do not discount it lightly.

What are you really thinking when you pull the trigger ?
(I am not looking for an answer)

Break a leg !

Good advice Bonsai

Chart interpretation is as much an art as a science. Using the art analogy, it is easy enough to describe the mechanics of the artist's painting technique (always very useful and informative) but very difficult to communicate the artistic flair and interpretation that produces the finished picture.

If it was all science we'd all arrive at the same answer and make the same trades and there would be no market.

Good trading.

Jon

Bonsai,

Have a laugh, I put together a very thoughtful and heart rendering reply which took me ages, to your sound advice only to lose the lot. I will get back to you with a more appropriate reply, but thanks.

Kevin

wagr
?
what could there be to 'auction' on the futures ?
its only for stocks

Bonsai,

My reply is meant with good intent, it is frank and an honest assessment of my own trading and what I feel needs to be achieved through a certain process which as you will see involves an element of being mechanical.

You were burning the light bright late last night. LOL

Your comments were very wise and thought provoking; and sounds like it maybe from the Piper school of thought.

First let me deal with my reference ‘where I am’. This I think may have been taken out of context; what I was trying to say was that I aim to be where you are now with your trading, (my assumption being that you are a full time trader applying a profitable system) and not copying your strategy but moving to full time trading following my own defined trading plan that proves to be successful for me.

Obviously I have asked questions of you and yes I am guilty of ‘picking your brain’; but this is first out of respect for your knowledge and experience, second to learn from and third to establish if anything maybe suitable to include in my own strategy. So far I have gleaned some additional knowledge about the market and has made me review both my trading signals and my use of a stop loss. The emphasis being my OWN!

I have been trading for just over 3 years when I can and during that time I have made use of numerous indicators to establish a trading pattern that works. I have already developed a lot of the applications that Piper illustrates, if I had not I do not think I would still be trading. I have reached a crucial point in my trading and it is for this reason that I have been asking a lot of questions both of you, others and myself.

I am at the stage where I know several different daytrading strategies that work for me but I am allowing all of them to clutter my trading rather than developing a clearly defined strategy. Part of the reason for this was that I was trying to attempt to glean the best of the intraday trends while at the same time taking the shorter approach for quick repeated gains unlike the trend deal where often you must allow the price to come back at you before the greater gain is achieved. I am beginning to realise that for me the 2 do not mix as I do much better when I decide to trade 1 system.

Having now made a conscious decision to question my own thinking and move to trading just the intraday trends is a step in the right direction towards my own goal.

Maybe I still have a lot to learn as I feel that a mechanical approach does have its part to play. I would agree that it is not everything and on its own is plagued with problems, but I feel for me it is a very important ingredient. Let me expand on this further, and I quote you (which I must say I found very profound stuff and something I wish I had seen 3 years ago)

“Trading, imo, is not about the mechanics and you can't make it
mechanical. There is no silver bullet. It is much more about you as a person.
Really. In the markets, you may think you are trading the market
but you are actually trading yourself, your personality, your
regrets , fears and ambitions. And most of all you are trading the
psychological baggage created by reinforced convictions from
previous trades. It may sound like a lot of crap to some but it is my
recommendation that you do not discount it lightly.”
If you do not adopt a structured trading plan you are not focussed on how you are going to achieve your goal. We all know we want to make a profit but it the ‘how’ that matters. Part of this means you have to have the finance in the first place and manage this accordingly because feelings of fear will creep in if you have not managed your risk appropriately to your financial position.

You must decide what style of trading you intend to follow; Range/Reversal such as Bollinger approach, Scalper with all the varying indicators and tick charts, a Swing trader or a variety of others. Then you must decide what time frame you intend to apply this method, a daytrader, medium to long-term trader. (Sorry if this all sounds familiar).

Having established your style of trading and the charting tools you intend to employ (if any) then you also have to establish which entry signals you will follow by establishing confidence in them. From this you then have to establish your exit signals or strategy as it could be as simple as taking 10 points or a certain % and so on. When this has been achieved all with established confidence and your own ability to repeat the process successfully over a reasonable period can you consider the signals as part of a trading plan.

From here you have to establish how you managing an open position, where to place your stop when you enter to ensure a limited loss, where to place your stop when the position has moved on in your favour enabling you to benefit from a larger gain rather than exit to early, subject to your own style of trading.

Finally dealing with all those feelings you highlighted so well. The greed, the fear, the doubts, the expectations and that lovely description of past baggage, that’s brill and oh so true. I firmly believe that by setting up a clear pattern of trading such as the risk you take with your finance, the particular signals you employ, the method of entry and exit, the way you manage your open position then the mechanics of this help to reduce those feelings and by following a clearly defined trading pattern are you not in some way being mechanical. It is for this reason that I believe having a mechanical approach can work for some. I work best when I have clearly laid out rules of what to do and what not to do. If a signal presents itself which is outside the remit of the trading strategy then it will not be followed and hopefully this will help to avoid a loss because you know from past experience this particular signal is not as reliable as the ones you have chosen to adopt. It maybe that while you can see an entry there is not some other component present which prevents you from acting such as no clear stop and so on. You are essentially filtering out the clutter of signals that are not reliable following a proven pattern that works for YOU. I think this counts for being mechanical.

I would only add one other aspect to the complete trading plan and that is to react,
Once you have a clearly defined plan it is no good unless you have both the confidence in it and the ability to apply it successfully. In order again to deal with the feelings you must be able to switch them off and by having something to concentrate on such as your entry and exit and stop process you must react to the market changes by applying the plan to the letter. If your deal does not work out having offered so much promise you must close according to your stop by reacting, otherwise you face losing more, giving up more of your gains from a winning deal and much more. Because by failing to comply with your system will mean that you cannot apply it in the long run. Follow it and you add to other important features to your trading, Discipline and Clinical trading.

I would be interested what your view of my mechanical stance is, have I really misunderstood so much and I am approaching a BIG disappointment.

Kevin

it was definitely right to be on the short side in the morning, but come 13:45 it really did look cheap. as a result entered long at 3975 aiming to get 10 points. at 15:13 i should have exited when it hit 4007.5. the breakdown at 15:38 was surprising and i thought i would be stopped out. slowly the market crawled to 3995 before i exited securing 20 points less commission.

i've attached my execution statement.

Attachments

• doc1.doc
    63 KB · Views: 257
The trend analysis tells its own story for today on the FTSE cash index chart. The first line provides the warning of a trend change the second confirms it. See how the price later appears to bounce up off the previous extended trendline.

Attachments

• ftse cash index  03 jul 03.gif
    ftse cash index 03 jul 03.gif
    46.1 KB · Views: 419
kevin
I'm not going to make comments on someone elses trading plan
and concepts. I have no magical knowledge that would allow me
to do that. And mine is neither perfect nor the best. It's just mine.

Strange though in this medium that although we type something
that seems unambiguous to us, it is read as something different by others. ?

This thing about mechanics ? .
What it doesnt include are the first and second essentials ?

To Survive in the markets in the long term and
Taking personal responsibility for each trade. - Commitment .

Hope you had a good day today, they dont come much better .

Reactor
well done
but why not go short early on ?
I think I have covered that in the Day Chart.

Kevin
Did you also pick out the 5 wave fall ?

Attachments

• jul3.gif
    jul3.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 381
Bonsai,

Pity but I thought I might have put together a bit of a masterpiece today, LOL. But I understand and respect your decision not to respond further.

All I would add at this time is that if the test of your signals and your ability to apply them produces the desired effect over a reasonable testing period then I think that covers the element of surviving the market over the long term. As for the commitment I know where that is coming from but as I have not read that chapter I am unable to comment with full understanding of its meaning. But I expect I can work on it.

I also find it interesting how our perception of simple phrases are seen with a completely different meaning. I suppose thats what makes us all different and makes the market tick.

I did not trade today, its been abit frantic to be honest as my daughter has been admitted to hospital. My previous posts were done during breaks to the visits and to take my mind of matters which was good for me as it is now.

To be honest I did not notice the 5 wave until you mentioned it, I was not looking for it. My ability in this field is limited to say the least but yes it is clear on your chart. I just read it as a failure early on and would have shorted it for a downtrend until the trend was broken. I find it interesting how the bounces off the extending trendline appear so frequently at the end and beginning of a trend.

Now dont be to harsh with me but would you consider the rise this afternoon complete as a 3 wave correction, or the start of a 5 wave correction (if there is such a thing - cant remember at the moment) or the start of a 5 wave rise.

What do you know of this chap:

http://www.themasteryoftrading.com/ftc/cbh.html?hop=waytrade.malcolmr

it is recommended among others in the Piper's e-book. I noticed that in Piper's book he refers to Mark Douglas (as a coach) and I have his book to go through afterward which was also recommended ' Trading the Zone' I am assuming they are one and the same.

Thanks again I have found your info very useful and interesting and if nothing else you have pointed me in the right direction. I was very happy when I had completed 'war and piece' today because it put in my mind everything down that I am trying to do and set it out in a structured way that I can move forward with. I think this week I have been able to complete my strategy making it simple and manageable. Mind you I better finish the book first just in case it draws my attention to something I have overlooked. LOL

Good trading

Kevin

Bonsai,

Just a quick one and referring to my chart earlier today, the period where I claim the trend was first broken. The rise around 11.30 - 1.15pm would that be a 3 wave correction before the final wave in your 5 count. I was using a 2 min chart so it would break down the data from your 15 min one. On your chart I think you referred to this action as wave 4.

I am not sure if it was displayed on my posted chart but wave 5 on my 2 min Futures chart appears to show 5 waves would this tally with your reading of the 2 min chart, or is it pointless trying to work out EW theory from this timescale with a lot og guess work and conjecture making it fit rather than a precise science.

Regards Kevin

kevin
sorry to hear about your daughter, hope all is well soon.

today
I thought the 5 showed very well on your chart.
Where those trend line drawn at any particular angle/gradient ?
Is the second one 61.8% of the first ? by any chance - LOL

This afternoon ?I read the action as an abc which has probably
topped out in view of the Dow performance today BUT I have
gaps up around 4050. So I would need to see a reversal to
confirm because frankly, the move from 3952 looks incomplete.

With the Dow closed tomorow, our institutions may not trade
but sure as cats have kittens the 'locals' will take advantage.

My recs only go so far as Piper , Douglas , Elder , Kaufman
and Prechter.

Last edited:
kevin
I have put the wave count on your chart

and now have put the percentage rate of decline on as well

Attachments

• kevin.gif
    kevin.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Bonsai

Thanks for your good wishes at least today they have discovered what part is wrong now they have to find the cause, more tests.

Thanks for the wave count at least I got that right, I think which is a start. What would you do now look to the 60 min chart for the bigger picture. How are the waves on that timescale. I have not followed the DOW tonight but from your comments I assume it went down. On the 60 min chart are we looking at a possible new wave down ? which would be in line with the current trend.

Re my lines they were nothing more than the use of the auto extending line facility with Sierra charts and I just placed them on the relevant tops. I had not considered the angle. LOL

Kevin

the second line is almost exactly 61.8% of the gradient of the
first ! This not an uncommon occurrence.

But if I told you that the first line gradient was a Gann number
you might think it was black magic ?
But it was !

Don't know about sierra but there are many software packages
that will draw the fib lines for you.
Sharescope for one I think.

Yet another insight ?

Bonsai,

Where charting is concerned and its reliability nothing surprises me. I have confidence in charting full stop. I have not used Gann are you talking about fibb in terms of retracement or % rate of decline.

Kevin

Bonsai,

ok, never used it but read about it in John Murphy's book ' Technical analysis of the financial markets, its been my Bible ever since but does not go into detail for daytrading but gives good groundwork to the different theories.

We seem to be taking over this thread - would you accept a PM
understand if not as we both have chosen not to.

Kevin

guys - no probs abt u taking over this thread as long as it is relevant to subject ofcourse

bonsai - which intraday charting package do u use please, to be able to draw intraday gann and fib lines?