FTSE 100 intraday trading - JULY 2003

lol

I'm not an art critic , I just prefer it.
but I do prefer cnbc after hours and their coverage of U.S.A

darn it
had to close as I need to go out
just when it looked like we had a higher low in place
and things were moving up.

but then there is always the unexpected !

taken 66 for -4
back later.

back again to find we are exactly where I left it.
except what momentum there was has disappeared entirely.

I don't know if any of you guys have read The Master Swing Trader, by Farley, but it does provide some interesting insight into market behavior and tactics. He shows that a loss in momentum is the calm before the storm as the market has energy that it must dissipate. I guess we'll see.

I got an e-mail from 'best day-trader' inviting me to come and trade with 'SHOGUN TRADER' Shay Horowitz. Only $300/month.

bonsai said:
waqr
lol
that's a very impirical statement !

its not true either.

Bonsai, not true? who trades the 250 futures that you know?

I checked the Liffe site, there is a total of 225 lots open interest in the ftse 250.

There is no bid or offer in the sep contract at the moment, its a load of bollox

waqr
lol
thats not the only market place.
you can trade with sb's anytime you want.
thats why I mentioned the spread.

tubbs
I have a trend line from the low at 3952.
its getting closer and closer.
may be in play soon ?

Up or down boys & girls ??

This market is beginning to get on my 'threppenies' !

The Dow has virtually traded with-in a 60 pt band for 2 straight days now.

So come on what's your call????

lockstock
sorry to disappoint but I havent the slightest idea where
its going.
Dont want to know actually.
Just waiting for a setup, either way will do.

Hi Bonsai,

Do you ever set-up short and long at the parameters - say for the Dow long at 9240 & short 9140 at the same time.

Toyed with the idea, but my clems aint big enuff. Read on one of the sites could have been incredible charts- a lot of traders over the pond doing just that. It's only in exceptional circumstances when the market hits the doldrums you can really take advantage of this set-up.

See as Iam typing instead of trading the INDU breaking to 9140-
bollox :cheesy:

dont see how you could do that other than with straddle type
options.

used to trade options quite a bit but found them too volatile.
that was pit trading.

but double options would be too complicated for my little brain.
too much maths involved.

I think the idea would be to trade 2 options.
both out of the money.
then as one comes into the money, it increases in value greater
than the losing option loses money.
and then leg out when you feel brave.

Yep,

I have 2 SB trading accounts with D4F- initially for increasing the 3d spectrum of the DOW or the UKX( before the software was dramatically improved, enabling to view as many charts as you like of the same index/ equity)

So have the opportunity to trade both ways at the same time- had the notion it could be done at any time see which way the market is heading & opt out of the loosing set-up. Ideally you would probably need more than one operator. 'cos I know I'd make a right mess of it.

Lockstock,
I don't understand. .... I understand hedging stocks that relate to each other and playing the gap eg BP/Shell or DAX/Ftse, but I don't understand playing the same stock unless it's options against cash or futures against cash ?

Cguesty,

First of all Iam no expert.

But after trading a while- I came up with the notion that the problem was deciding which way the market was going to go after a period of indecision.

Take today for example.

The Dow Jones has been hovering around the 9200 mark.

You could do one of 2 things.

Set a long and a short bet in seperate accounts at 9200 so you're potentially giving the spread away twice.

then wait & see which way the market tumbles & bail out of the loosing trade. you have to make twice the spread before you are in profit, but while you are in both trades you're maximum risk is twice the spread- I think.

Alternatively you could set your long and short bets at a distance from each other- say long 9240 & short 9180 & see which one gets activated- I don't think you can do that with one SB account ??