Brexit and the Consequences

Was listening to the Farming Today program on Radio 4 this morning, as with most mornings. Great show. (y)

Lord Plumb was on who was the leader of the NFU through the 80s and 90s. He made an astonishing point which I never heard before.

When asked about Brexit and impact on UK farming he said, in the early 1900s UK produced enough food for about 15m people with a population of 30m. These days he said, UK produces enough food for about 30m people and her pop is about 70m.

When asked if UK farming would be better off without the EU directives and regulation his reply was shcoking. He said people assume or think these came to us from the EU. He said in fact it was the UK that drove much of the directives and regulations on farming to the EU. We, the UK pushed through and fought for about 80% of these because we needed health and safety and level playing fields.

He finished off by saying he hoped Brexit works out but he things Brexiters are drreaming.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/video-lord-plumb-and-kendall-unequivocal-on-eu-referendum.htm

It is also wrong to assume that these will rules and regulations will not be needed when we leave. However, if the EU membes in turn do away with these regulations to rreduce member country costs whilst levying tariffs on UK produce and UK are left to import from rest of the World, UK consumers will be hurt in terms of prices and wrt health and safety of what's coming in and quality.

On Sky News some Bristol University head gave out interesting numbers.

5% of students foreign.
20% of teaching staff foreign.
EU funds 15% of university budget.

Students apparently counted as migrant.

I reckon any student who graduates from paid British Universities should be given indefinite right to stay and work in the UK.

No brainer to imo.

Not to block democratic vote no!

To progress the adisory referendum by democratic means through Parliament or another referendum when the deal resembles anything that can be put to debate.

As it stands Brexit means Brexit means sweet FA.
That's not his intentions. He wants to prevent it.

That's coz EU stopping negotiations with the nutters who want to bring back capital punishment. I'm for capital punishment but against Turkey in Europe. Although they are moving towards joining AsiaPac and China wants them in. China is the new Germany in Asia.

Turmp junior apparenlty talking peace in Syria with the Russians. He wants to kick ISIS ass. I don't think the CIA have briefed him yet. :LOL:

They will never get another referendum on brexit. What they will try do though is get parliament to do one on the terms and they will have a say in the questions that are put forward. Always more than one way to skin the cat. Don't underestimate these people. They know how to play dirty games (they paid are enough to do it after all)

They will never get another referendum on brexit. What they will try do though is get parliament to do one on the terms and they will have a say in the questions that are put forward. Always more than one way to skin the cat. Don't underestimate these people. They know how to play dirty games (they paid are enough to do it after all)

AND why not? You guys got one in 1975.

Let's play fair ref!!! :whistling

He was chancellor FGS he knows how the HMS Gov crunches up the numbers. You pay for information. Anyhow what's 8K for JPM... less than a bottle of bubbly they pay to entertain clients.

So much outrage for such a small fee. You really are becoming a commie in your old age. Using all these outburst and nice words like power to the people. :LOL:

I could give them the right information for far less.

No, I'm right in my assessment...it's a gravy train. endex.

Hard to get off the gravy train once you're on it !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38110210

He was chancellor FGS he knows how the HMS Gov crunches up the numbers. You pay for information. Anyhow what's 8K for JPM... less than a bottle of bubbly they pay to entertain clients.

So much outrage for such a small fee. You really are becoming a commie in your old age. Using all these outburst and nice words like power to the people. :LOL:

Where the hell were you when all the Eurosceptics were dastardly thorns on Major's butt.

You give you take. Grow up you moaning old git as if you've never seen it before. :mad:

;)(y)

Watching with dismay at how the country was being sold down the swanny.

Where were you? Out doing some tree hugging ?

Watching with dismay at how the country was being sold down the swanny.

Where were you? Out doing some tree hugging ?

I was making HMS Govie rich by paying mega taxes working my nuts off that's where. :)

Addenda: There you go!!! Enjoy :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/major-says-three-in-cabinet-are-*******s-1486997.html

JOHN MAJOR's leadership was plunged into a new crisis last night after claims that he described three Eurosceptic Cabinet colleagues as '*******s' in comments accidentally recorded after a television interview.
The remarks, which were not broadcast but have gained circulation among broadcast journalists, are likely to enrage the right of the Conservative Party when Mr Major had promised a truce with Maastricht rebels.

Last edited:
I was making HMS Govie rich by paying mega taxes working my nuts off that's where. :)

Addenda: There you go!!! Enjoy :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/major-says-three-in-cabinet-are-*******s-1486997.html

JOHN MAJOR's leadership was plunged into a new crisis last night after claims that he described three Eurosceptic Cabinet colleagues as '*******s' in comments accidentally recorded after a television interview.
The remarks, which were not broadcast but have gained circulation among broadcast journalists, are likely to enrage the right of the Conservative Party when Mr Major had promised a truce with Maastricht rebels.

I remember it well and was the start of his downfall.