Brexit and the Consequences

This is all beside the point. The economy wasn't why the referendum was organised and it wasn't what counted with the voters.

I dare say people were influenced in their choice by all sorts of things, but the economy was worth considering don't you think? 'Course to do that you'd need some facts and facts were pretty thin on the ground albeit that there was plenty of claptrap masquerading as fact.

We'll muddle through, of course, life will go on and we'll make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I still can't credit that one of the most important decisions of our lifetime was made against the background of yah-boo politics with very little room for calm and considered pros/cons debate.

I dare say people were influenced in their choice by all sorts of things, but the economy was worth considering don't you think? 'Course to do that you'd need some facts and facts were pretty thin on the ground albeit that there was plenty of claptrap masquerading as fact.

We'll muddle through, of course, life will go on and we'll make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I still can't credit that one of the most important decisions of our lifetime was made against the background of yah-boo politics with very little room for calm and considered pros/cons debate.

That's because none of them can possibly tell the truth about the EU project. Lies from the very start and of course One lie begets another. How could any of them all of a sudden start telling the truth.

The only reason we got any truth was cos of Nigel. He told everybody like it is.

That's because none of them can possibly tell the truth about the EU project. Lies from the very start and of course One lie begets another. How could any of them all of a sudden start telling the truth.

The only reason we got any truth was cos of Nigel. He told everybody like it is.

Yeah, pity he back-tracked on much of it before the dust had even begun to think about settling :LOL:

Facts and evidence to support your perspective does not exist.

Look at US braking agreements and moving towards protectionism. TTP is an EU type block to counteract EU global lead. They are emulating EU. Think about it. UK will have to negotiate with block.

EU has right level of protectionism. Once again look at what US now trying to do.

Where I do have some hope is that the British people have strong resolve. Through much hard ship and suffering, we will embark on some new road.

Inevitably. However, that will be a very long road and take much time. They'll put up with a lot are v'ery strong and hardy. They'll get by.

Big question is, as a leader of a great nation, 5th in the World by GDP, do you wish to risk your populace facing such an uncertain bleak future?

Facts and evidence to support the rosy world prescribed by Brexiters does not exist and is not materialising either.

Only bonus drop in sterling is not a positive. Yes to exporters but as we are an importing nation this means costs in the short term greater than positives.

Moreover, we only gain competitive advantage by price change this can in fullness of time be eroded again.

Competitive advantage should ideally originate from creativity and superior product.

You seem like a clever guy Forker. Leave your emotions out and just make a list of positives and negatives SWOT it out and see what you end up with. :idea:
The problem with a pro\con list is that mine will be very different to yours.

Yeah, pity he back-tracked on much of it before the dust had even begun to think about settling :LOL:

Like I said to Tar. Farage isn't in govt and it was never his job to be involved in the aftermath. But I'm quite certain he will be there holding the govt's feet to the fire and quite rightly :LOL:

Attachments

• Austrian Presidential re-run.PNG
    Austrian Presidential re-run.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
This is the nature of our problems. Debt without corresponding output.

UK and US response seems to be come out of free trade agreements.

Cut taxes & raise infrastructure spending. Fiscal discipline is essential. One ideally should;

1. Raise taxes and spend on infrastructure
2. Maintain low interest rates to stimulate investment

I'd add a third in their

3. Ensure equitable distribution of income

As the article states, developed nations with the greatest debt. LDCs have little debt.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...-most-debt-per-person-in-one-chart-2016-11-23

MW-FA790_snowba_20161123151402_NS.jpg

The problem with a pro\con list is that mine will be very different to yours.

I think yours, mine and other peoples such list would nail Brexit means Brexit fiasco.

British people have a right to know what Brexit means.

Hope lies with Parliament to decipher debate and conclude will of the people. (y)

The economy as we on here understand it was never a consideration as far as the voters were concerned except that -
- they had suffered the effects of the recession caused by the global financial crisis
- they had not seen "justice" done to those they thought were responsible and
- they had no individual experience of increased prosperity post-GFC.

There was also the not irrational fear of what might happen to the UK's jobs market and social structure if unlimited immigration of EU residents and trans-EU migrants were unchecked.

The facts of the wider relative health of the UK economy were of no interest. In fact, for the individual voter taking on board the factors I've selected above (which might well be a subjective list), you could argue that any facts re the UK economy on top of these would be irrelevant and therefore "Leave" would be the only rational conclusion.

I have on my list following reasons for the Brexit vote:

- Sovereignty of parliament, they always vote against us, not representative (94% UK agreed : 6% EU voted against us - in ratios)

- Bereaucracy of EU parliament, 9bn cost saving transfer to NHS!

- Net migration influx from EU to UK, more UK expats in EU (3+ m on last estimate, most in Spain). UK has most citizens in EU compared to all other EU countries having their citizens in Europe etc. Hope that makes sense.

- Protest vote from an uneven distribution of benefits from EU to UK (essentially to London and not distributed to Northern regions of UK). This has always been a problem in the UK with Regional Grants in place, scrapped by Maggie.

This One knows his time is up. That's why he's running away from the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38090114

You can expect a sizable drop in the Euro in the next few days. If the Austrian presidential election goes the way of the polls, then the EU is on notice.

can't help but notice this in that story

"Nationalist challenge
Anti-EU nationalists are expected to gain significant ground in several key elections next year - in the Netherlands, France and Germany."

EU leaders are are a crossroads where they either alter policy or deal with the unthinkable

Why the UK needs to do very little now except steady the ship and bide it's time while the EU collapses in on itself.

This idea that we all need to be running around "doing things" is nothing short of crazy. Quite often, the best course of action is to do nothing. Lets just wait and see what happens. The position we want is more likely to come to us, we don't need to go looking for it.

Last edited:
Why the UK needs to do very little now except steady the ship and bide it's time while the EU collapses in on itself.

This idea that we all need to be running around "doing things" is nothing short of crazy. Quite often, the best course of action is to do nothing. Lets just wait and see what happens. The position we want is more likely to come to us, we don't need to go looking for it.

Talking mainly to myself...but never mind :LOL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38092508