Brexit and the Consequences

The question is which way will cable go on Thurs night/Fri morning?

My money is on: First of all they (bank manipulation) will run it one way starting Wednesday, then it will rush in the opposite direction as soon as the first significant result comes in (a la Sunderland on Brexit night).

Cable in troubled waters either way imo

TM - hard brexit and £ falls
JC - softer brexit -> longer payback of government deficit and £ falls
Coalition - £ falls and recovers

Some feeling softer brexit or coalition will lead to recovery of £ to 1.30-40s but wouldn't like to say with any certainty.

Very tough call and not planning on holding any positions overnight.

No , he is a good interviewer, He can tell straight away if the interviewee is going to divert / stray away from the question , All politicians do it, Farrons style is to talk all over him and hopefully go on to the next question...he comes across as very unprofessional and amateur. Corbyn does the same with a little more conviction, blurts out one of his sound bites to answer a difficult question.

Beg to differ matey. I've had a belly full of catchy simple soundbites from TM not the other way round.

Reminds me of Trumps wonderful and fantastic talented people who are going to do great things and build a great big beautiful wall and all that tosh.

Sometimes I wonder if we are hearing the same voices ;)

Beg to differ matey. I've had a belly full of catchy simple soundbites from TM not the other way round.

Reminds me of Trumps wonderful and fantastic talented people who are going to do great things and build a great big beautiful wall and all that tosh.

Sometimes I wonder if we are hearing the same voices ;)

We have totally different views about the same subjects...Thats why i like the banter, you never fail to amuse me..:LOL:

Are you staying up on thursday night to watch the results come in ? I have bought a bottle of gin for the occasion...:clap:

Last edited:
We have totally different views about the same subjects...Thats why i like the banter, you never fail to amuse me..:LOL:

Are you staying up on thursday night to watch the results come in ? I have bought a bottle of gin for the occasion...:clap:

That sound cool perhaps with a smoke or two. :)

Cheers for the invite matey but I'll be an observer for the count down here. Should be fun. We are usually some of the last counts to finish but yep will be up probably until 3 am-ish and go to bed around 4. Living history in the making.

btw, the result will be broadly known around 10pm when they announce the "exit poll". The markets will price most of the result in at that time, making smaller adjustments thereafter. No need to wait for actual results to come in, unless of course it looks like a clear hung parliament situation.

btw, the result will be broadly known around 10pm when they announce the "exit poll". The markets will price most of the result in at that time, making smaller adjustments thereafter. No need to wait for actual results to come in, unless of course it looks like a clear hung parliament situation.

Not if it's close it won't be given margin for errors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39856354

You are awfully confident. I feel we have a potential upset brewing down here. :rolleyes:

This is more entertaining....:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What planet is he from...

Just about the worst politician in parliament currently. He has stiff competition for that crown mind.

The standard of MP's elected to represent us is at an all time low and is part of a continuing downward trend in quality and competency. Never have I seen such an inept rabble.

Just about the worst politician in parliament currently. He has stiff competition for that crown mind.

The standard of MP's elected to represent us is at an all time low and is part of a continuing downward trend in quality and competency. Never have I seen such an inept rabble.

Stop talking about TM and Tory policies and keep rubbishing the opposition...

People know about the lies.

Lie 1. We are putting more cash (8bn) into the NHS.

In real terms NHS is being starved of money and nurses pay 14% down on 2010. 1m more eldery patients over the age of 75.

Lie 2. We are putting more cash (4bn) into education.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said that school funding would fall by nearly 3% by 2021 even with the additional £1bn a year, after adjusting for inflation and a rise in students enrolled.

Lie 3. We need a strong economy to support our public services.

Economy has grown but public services are cut whilst corporation and inheritance tax reduced. One doesn't need to be Einstein to work out who's paying off debt and where gains from economic growth are going.

Much like a Red, Blue and White bus going round spreading lies. Well dressed and spoken but full soundbite BS. No worries, we'll sort the lies out later let's get elected and shut opposition down in parliament first.

Good luck you're going to need it. (y)

And cv has the have the cheek to compare us to sheep?

What a mess you are, all, painting!

You are going to have to start trade negotiations with this shambles, very soon.

The clock's ticking

Lead on, MacDuff!

And cv has the have the cheek to compare us to sheep?

What a mess you are, all, painting!

You are going to have to start trade negotiations with this shambles, very soon.

The clock's ticking

Lead on, MacDuff!

If the Tories win with a decent majority then there is a small chance that the EU rabble will see sense and negotiate a sensible deal. If the EU thinks for One second that Great Britain will be cowed into accepting some punitive deal, then they need to think again.

But don't be surprised if the whole talks thing never gets off the ground.:LOL:
100BN Euros divorce bill before trade talks even begin :LOL:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ack-eu-instead-paying-leave-plans-considered/

My money is on no talks, no progress and no agreement on anything due to the intransigence of the EU's opening position. The fallout from such failure will be massive across Europe and you can then expect repercussions from EU members directed towards the mighty EU machine.
EU member countries already have significant opposition growing within. You can expect these numbers to swell until the EU is forced to change direction and abandon it's insane Four Freedoms policy.

Btw, is Europe still being swamped by economic migrants? That will continue to play well i'm sure.

Last edited:
Btw, is Europe still being swamped by economic migrants? That will continue to play well i'm sure.

Spain, Italy and others are picking boat people up in their thousands, I agree. What else are we supposed to do? Hundreds are drowning all the time, many of whom are kids. This, I'm afraid, is the future.

You think that you will escape this by leaving? No way.

The rest of your post will have to be, as always, "wait and see". Unlike you, I am unable to speculate. However, if what is going on in the UK, prior to elections, is a taste of what to expect, I'm sure that Brussels will make the better bargain.

At least, art 50 has been signed, so it is your clock that is ticking away.

Spain, Italy and others are picking boat people up in their thousands, I agree. What else are we supposed to do? Hundreds are drowning all the time, many of whom are kids. This, I'm afraid, is the future.

The very best way to encourage migrants into the Mediterranean is to pick them up, bring them to Europe and send them off into the community. Every person who lands in Italy/Spain is an example for 10 more to try it.

If we're going to admit marooned migrants - and I'm not saying we should - it would be more humane and economical for the EU navies to operate a free ferry service so the migrants could just email over to Europe when they need the Spanish/Italian/etc. navies to come into Tripoli harbour and embark them at the quayside. No risk of exploitation by organised crime, no deaths from drowning, no costly standing patrols. Liberal European politicians must spend every weekend trying to wash the blood off their hands: they're as responsible as the mafia for the loss of life.

Tom, no country can condone mass emigration by laying on free transport services so that no one gets drowned. At the same time, they cannot be left to drown, starve or freeze to death on boats.

It's a quandary. The UK has a very inhospitable stretch of water to cross, except for the straits. The Brits are not faced with this problem, but they took in thousands in the Nazi era. Why do they expect us to act differently?

Tom, no country can condone mass emigration by laying on free transport services so that no one gets drowned. At the same time, they cannot be left to drown, starve or freeze to death on boats.

It's a quandary. The UK has a very inhospitable stretch of water to cross, except for the straits. The Brits are not faced with this problem, but they took in thousands in the Nazi era. Why do they expect us to act differently?

Politicians are paid to resolve quandaries. But they're afraid of being unpopular if they do - cowardly.

As to the refugees from the Nazis, these were not economic migrants so the issues are not parallel.

You say that they are not parallel because it is convenient to do so, but they are all refugees and are difficult to separate. Pick any one of the hundreds pf dead bodies picked up in the Med. Economic or political?

Politicians are paid to resolve quandaries. But they're afraid of being unpopular if they do - cowardly.

As to the refugees from the Nazis, these were not economic migrants so the issues are not parallel.

People are fleeing the ME for economic reasons? I would think that all those civilian deaths had something to do with politics.

You say that they are not parallel because it is convenient to do so, but they are all refugees and are difficult to separate. Pick any one of the hundreds pf dead bodies picked up in the Med. Economic or political?

It depends. And that's a question that is legitimate but apparently too difficult for politicians to face. As I've suggested, they don't really care about the boat migrants, they're not going to take simple humanitarian steps that would prevent any further drownings, they're just interested in evading blame for a political b@lls-up that costs them power and position.

People are fleeing the ME for economic reasons? I would think that all those civilian deaths had something to do with politics.

Many are not fleeing from theatres of war as refugees, they are migrants using other people's terrible situations as camouflage so they can enter western countries. Many will have crossed through or past countries which could have offered them safe refuge if they were literally and truly fleeing from warfare. I think its incumbent on a government to understand who they admit across their country's borders, whether they apply through a visa or are picked up by our warships. Difficult maybe, but that's what we pay them for.