US Indices Intra-day Trading for August 2003

in case you are interested:

Good morning,

There is a rally coming and it could come today or it could come as late as Wednesday. This will be the final rally of the year, or at least into October. I urge you to have patience here, irrespectively if you want to play a rally towards 9800 in the Dow or 1023 to 1041 in the SP500 on the long side or if you want to wait to go short. Most cycles suggest that we are seeing a replay of the 1987 pattern where the market rallied relentlessly for most of the year, and saw the final high in August. I am playing for a high around the 20th to the 26th of August. The rally may even extend into Labour Day on the 1st September. The key to get this rally going will be a close above 1005 in the SP500.

I am quite certain we will see a blow-off rally and I am also quite certain we will see a big retracement in September. The break may already have started but I don’t give that a high probability right now.

What usually happens after an option expiration is that the big pension funds and mutual funds have to protect themselves against declines by buying portfolio insurance in the form of put options. This always causes volatility in the days after the expiration and you often see big moves in that period. The path for today, points to a higher open and a general bullish day up until 16:30 UK time. From the on the bias is negative. I don’t know if this will simply mean that we trade sideways or if we will get a negative close.

So I will watch the 993 closely today in the SP500 as it is a big resistance area, and any move above it will most likely lead to an assault on 1000. If we break to the downside I will watch 985 for confirmation. The trend after the first 50 minutes today should confirm which way we are going.

Hi Sun,

How is the book going? It would be great to get a better understanding of this subject. I don't usually buy trading books but this subject has fascinated me. Are there any books you can recommend? The only one I can find that looks interesting is this one.

http://tinyurl.com/kc5u

BB, can you wait till December? dont buy that book, if you ask me....the stops are very wide....

Sun

here is the path

Attachments

• path 18th august 1.png
    path 18th august 1.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 628
Sun,

Thanks for the info. I can wait until December and might have enough money to pay for it by then!

Usually whatever direction Tom says it is best to take the opposite direction.

But I think is path look solid today.

I think the Dow should go up over 100pts either today or tomorrow.

That's not a bad assessment Bullishbear

But I think it will go over 9400 first before it hits 9000.

Those Aug dates look good... we enter Virgo on the 21st & its a new moon on the 27th.
Friday 5th sept to the full moon on the 10th will be interesting, I haven't got my software running but these look like 177&182 calender days from the march low : 182 days is important.
25th Aug 166 days :D

CJ

Last edited:
Interesting quote I found in yesterday's Telegraph :

"Good news for rational, level headed Virgoans everywhere : just as you might have predicted, scientists have found astrology to be rubbish"

"Its central claim - that our human characteristics are moulded by the influence of the Sun, Moon and planets at the time of our birth - appears to have been debunked once and for all and beyond doubt by the most scientific study ever made into it"

This continues for several paragraphs, and sadly I cant find the article on line to post the link, but the general theme is summed up by this sentence : " The test conditions could hardly have been more conducive to success...but the results are uniformly negative ".

In the same article, its quoted that "some supposedly hard-headed businessmen now support a thriving market in financial astrology - paying for predictions of trends such as the rise and fall of the stock market."

Now, before I get bombarded with abuse, please note : This is not nessercarily my opinion, I just thought it was relevant given the overall theme.

Very interesting Rossored

Maybe Tom may want to take is money as he has the experience mentioned in your quote.

Quote"In the same article, its quoted that "some supposedly hard-headed businessmen now support a thriving market in financial astrology - paying for predictions of trends such as the rise and fall of the stock market."

quote:

"Usually whatever direction Tom says it is best to take the opposite direction"

nice one Robert

SS - The path has started well, just closed for 40 Dow points from opening earlier this morning.

Bottomdollar, I take it you mean your charts are screwed from Thursday night onwards? Big drop at close of play on thursday and looks like a car crash since then?

If you use Sierra/MT, let me know and I'll email you some replacement files that will sort it.

bottomdollar I have mytack/sierra. I got rid of the bad data. Get a 1 min chart. R click over the start of the bad data. Click on edit minute data. Delete any data that looks wrong ie indu has put the point in the wrong place on the low. When You have finished then click close

Alternatively, download this for Q`U Dow Futs

Attachments

• q`u.mnd
    765.4 KB · Views: 201
I spoke with mytrack and the data for Friday is screwed up.. the low is 2 decimal values out and it's pushed my chart to the top.. sigh...