S&P500 - Weekly Forecasting Competition for 2023

Thanks for the entries, update coming soon. In the meantime, I've been busy building our new contest application. Here's a sneak work-in-progress peek, still early days...

IMG_3624.jpg

I'm planning to launch the beta testing version of the contest application later today or tomorrow, stay tuned!

It looks like the login on the contest URL does not work, I'm not really sure whether it should work.
1691174234366.png

It looks like the login on the contest URL does not work, I'm not really sure whether it should work.
View attachment 329881
Hey! No, that's correct, basically it's using something called Oauth2, you're probably familiar with it, when you sign in with your google or facebook account. It's basically asking for permission to read your user information on Trade2Win. Just click Authorise and you're good to go. You only need to do this once. If you're ever logged out afterwards, then clicking login will automatically log you back in. The reason for all this is because the contest is built on a different platform to Xenforo, even though it shares the same domain, this site and the contest are on two different subdomains, ie. www. and contest. so essentially they're different websites. Rather than get you to register a new account on the contest, I thought it would be easier to just use your T2W credentials. This whole authorisation process though as you can see from the screenshot is a bit clunky, it's not a great user experience; I can probably tweak this but it's just an off the shelf plugin that enables Oauth2 with Xenforo, which is the forum software we use.

Also I need to upgrade the session management on the contest website, every time I push an update to the live site it restarts the server and logs everyone out. I need to store the sessions in the postgresql database we use, that's on the to-do list.

I've also open-sourced the contest, so anybody can install it locally and improve if they choose, you can also report bugs there. Check out the github repo here: https://github.com/trade2win/sp500-competition