North West Traders

Hi Syn,
i use IG and i think it is a great setup they have, i don't use leverage at the moment as i am not good enough and don't want to loose more than i can afford. I have thought about trading US stocks because i have more time in the evening and have looked at the stockscouter system for picking shares which has a good track record. I think my business will turn bad towards the end of this year and i really need to get my **** in gear and get to a level where i can go full time because this is all i want to do in life ( career wise )
At the moment i am thinking of trading ETF's more medium to long term using daily charts.

Funnily enough i am of to Portsmouth in the morning for the weekend with some friends from Failsworth

Apollo

Timing is one of the reasons i trade the US markets, it's good for swing trading as there is a fair amount of time in the day, and evening when you can do your analysis and place orders whilst the markets are closed, plus you can also easily trade when they are open.

Are you self-employed? I used to be, but the time came to get out, so i did. I think there are many very sound reasons why swing trading off daily charts is the best style of trading for the likes of us. In addition with the benefits ETF's have over stocks, i'd say the basis of your plan is sound.

I've not come across stockscouter, i take it that for UK(or euro) stocks only?

I've never been. Hope you enjoy yourself!

Syn

Hi Syn,

I am quite with work this week, if you would like to meet up for a coffee and a chat let me know

Apollo

Ok I am going to take the first step. This weekend i.e. Saturday or Sunday I propose either a lunch or we can meet up at a restaurant in the evening and discuss trading, styles, strats etc?
I think, from a lot of the posts, a large number of traders are in south manchester, as I am. However to make it fair in regards to travel arrangments shall we just go to central manchester? I can book a table or something at least then we have something to work with?
I think maybe for the future we could get a North West traders group that meet on a regular occassion as I am sure that would be helpful for a lot of us. Maybe hire office space and trade together who knows....!? Let me know what you guys think.

hi apollo.
How do you find IG index? I will tradin live shorlty, and from the demo platform they seem miles better than the others. Any comments/views appreciated

Hi All
Thanks for the invite Apollo. I was intending to reply re settiing a time and venue and then saw Shiromani's post. I too think it would be good for us all to meet up - see what we have in common and to share, etc. As you all probably know trading can be an isolating buiness and so even being able to speak to someone who understands what you're on about can be helpful!

This weekend's difficult for me. I could meet daytime on Thursday/Friday or one evening in the week...if those times are no good for others then i might possibly be able to work it round for weekend.

Hey KARLSPARADISE are you purposefully ignoring my post to you on 9/1/09?! Only joking, it was joined with a reply to apollo and so you probably overlooked it. Just didn't want you to think i was ignoring your first post.
Cheers
Syn

Morning, Syn.
I can meet you anytime before 4 o clock any weekday if that helps? Shall we just start otherwise I don't think it will ever happen! Like I said it only takes a few of us to meet up and then we can make a monthly, weekly thing w/e. What do others think???

I also agree with Shiromani that M/c Central seems a sensible spot. BTW, did anyone what the Million $ trader programme on Beeb 2 last night?

Morning Shiro
Great! How's thursday suit? I think apollo might be able to make it too, he said he was rather quiet with work this week.
Syn

Syn, Yes i did watch the programme, I think it was a very clever idea as those people do not have any prejudice against the game, i.e. becuase they have never traded they are fresh to learn however the reactions on their faces and their emotions say it all really. Correct me if I am wrong but they are trading on news events? What day then? Thurs?

Yeah i think it's been done quite well too. They could have made a real mess of the programme if they weren't careful!Not a great deal to learn from it though, other than how not to approach your trading!! Last summer, i received a promo email re applying for the show. I didn't and after seeing the show i think i made the right decision.

Yeah, Thursdays good! We could meet in m/c or perhaps a suburban pub or cafebar is preferable, it'd be best to have somewhere that's not to busy and where we can get a bit of room to relax and chat. Plus easy parking. Will you be driving or uising PT? I'm coming from north manchester and i'm having real trouble thinking of anywhere suitable between the north and south sides! I'll have a think and post in a bit. Any thoughts on a good place?

Yeh pretty much! Ah right thats interesting.

Manchester printworks? Or is that too busy. Maybe if we just meet somewhere then we can decide to go elsewhere if need be? Are you 100% and apollo??

Sorry about delay. Just got distracted, but then again i am at work!

Printworks could be okay - i haven't been in there for a long time and so i don't know if the music could get in the way of good conversation or not. But like you say would could always move on if needs be.

Yeah i'm 100%. Apollo are you there...?!

Hi guys,

yes one day this week in city centre sounds great to me, how about a starbucks, no loud music and i have an account for their wifi so we would have web access.

Hi karlsparadise,
i love the IG platform, i did try another one but can't think which but idid not like it and went straight back to IG

Hi Apollo
Shiro and i were thinking about Thursday if that suits. SBucks sounds a good idea. Particularly with having wifi access. Which one is easy for parking, assuming that's important for people?

What time suits you two?

Karl, are you able to make it?

Syn

Hi guys,
thursday is good for me, plenty of s/bucks to choose from, how about the one in st.annes sq which has close parking nearby at the car park next to victoria station. Pretty much anytime is fine with me but if we did sometime around 10/11am we would miss rush hour traffic and get good seating before dinner time trade comes in, but as i said i am easy on time & location.

Apollo

HI Synonym and all,
I wont be able to make it guys, soz. And soz for not replying syn.
It is a very good idea though, and when I am mobile, if its a regular meet, I would be well interested.
I watched that programe too! - Makes me realise I am not a complete muppet after all, and when they were watching bloomnerd, I fell of the setee laughing! lol

Great. I agree apollo, shall we meet at 10am then? Just had a look on SB's site ( not sure if this link will work properly - Starbucks Store Locator )
this is even nearer to the parking, just near the triangle. I haven't been in it though, so don't know if it's a good one? (i'm not sure what consistutes a good starbucks. Haha!)

Don't think i'm opposed to walking, it's that today at lunch i twisted my ankle (while rushing down some steps - comedy image in your head now...) and it's currently killing me! Can't believe it, it must be catching Karl (luckily i've not broke mine!)! So the shorter the distance the better if you don't mind chaps.

Hope your soon mobile karl. Like you say, it may become a useful regular thing. Yeah, it made me laugh too!

Ok boys starbucks it is. Lets go to the one near printworks on the corner. Opposite hardrock cafe and next to the triangle. Victoria carpark is basically free I park there all the time and, touchwood, I have never been charged. 10.30am then in the cafe? Its next to the car park.

Great 10.30am at that starbucks then!
I'm hoping my ankle is better tomorrow. At the moment it's very sore and i'm only managing to hobble around the house. I'm working from home today. If it isn't, i'll have trouble getting there, But i'll make every effort, i might get lift in.