North West Traders

NW Traders:

This is just a follow up post regarding the meeting a few of us had yesterday. I found it very interesting to see how the other traders were trading the markets, their opinions and thoughts. Just to sit down and discuss the markets with other traders with the same mindset is important as it can be quite a slog trading on your own and having no-one to talk to! So it was refreshing to see that there are other people out there, especially in Manchester, doing the same thing as you are. We exchanged a lot of ideas and software tips etc which I wouldn't have found just sitting on the internet. I hope that some of you can join us for the next meet-up.

** We have set a provisional date for a next meeting and we hope that others will join us. Monday 9th February @ 10.30am. Please let me know your thoughts and if you could come it would be much welcomed. The more the merrier! **

I believe we have provisonally booked this weekend or possibly monday (thats sat7th,sun8th,mon9th) for our monthly T2W markets meeting. Would anybody who's interested please let me know. If Apollo and Synonym can let me know aswell!

Hi Tiger
good to hear that your interested in meeting up.
What style of trading are you interested in on the continuum of discretaionary to fully automated?
regards
Syn

Hi Tiger
good to hear that your interested in meeting up.
What style of trading are you interested in on the continuum of discretaionary to fully automated?
regards
Syn

I am interested in daytrading and shortterm trading from starting from minutes. It's cool.

Hi, when is the next meeting? I'd be interested. I live in Manchester, forex daytrader.
regards

unlsp

Hi, when is the next meeting? I'd be interested. I live in Manchester, forex daytrader.
regards

unlsp

Hi unlsp
nice to hear that there is another trader out there in Manchester and the region...there must be more of us, but i really do wonder sometimes as there seems to be such little interest/activites on these kinds of threads about traders locally.

As far as i am aware i don't think there has been a second meeting. Perhaps someone will correct me if there has been.

When we first met, there was just three of us. With greatly varying approaches to the markets, one who's main drive was working towards fully automated trading, one had a virtually entirely discretionary approach and then somewhere in the middle of the two, me, a systems based trader, with quite a degree of flexibility in the approach.

Everyone had an extremely different approach to their trading and in what they wanted from it too. Shame really, as there was not enough overlap for us to really get any benefit from meeting. It would be good to have contacts with follow traders locally, to have meaningful discussions on trading, tax, etc . It can be quite isolating being a trader.

What's your general approach to trading then? How long you been trading? You daytrade, does that mean it's a main form of income for you then?
regards
Syn

I'm a novice from Liverpool but I go to college in Manchester. I might be interesting in meeting up. Would be nice to have a conversation with someone in the real world aside from my GF and people who don't know/care.

I'm a novice from Liverpool but I go to college in Manchester. I might be interesting in meeting up. Would be nice to have a conversation with someone in the real world aside from my GF and people who don't know/care.

Hahaha! You're boring your girlfriend too! :LOL:
Yes, people just don't understand (or indeed care) outside of the trading world do they.

What you studying?

What kind of trading are you interested in?

Studying chartered certified acc'y and and moving onto finance next year. Finding myself gravitating more and more towards an interest in medium term i.e. swings and longer directional moves but want to get to grips with intra-day techniques too. Lost a few hundred quid in the past couple of months through greed and impatience but I want to have another go in the coming months. Hopefully with a little more disciple this time. And without thinking I'm amazing enough to pick tops and bottoms for astounding returns on a meagre account lol.

Studying chartered certified acc'y and and moving onto finance next year. Finding myself gravitating more and more towards an interest in medium term i.e. swings and longer directional moves but want to get to grips with intra-day techniques too. Lost a few hundred quid in the past couple of months through greed and impatience but I want to have another go in the coming months. Hopefully with a little more disciple this time. And without thinking I'm amazing enough to pick tops and bottoms for astounding returns on a meagre account lol.

Right. That could be useful. For so many reasons, i really think that swings and positional is the way to go if you are off the floor. You are using the benefits of being off the floor to your advantage, rather than trying to compete with the locals on the floor and all of the advantages they have intraday.

Any approaches or markets in swing/positional in particular?

Too many approaches... thats the problem. Too many ways to analyse and I'm fast becoming an incompetent jack-of-all-trades and master of none.
Like to look at oil and indices. Arm could be twisted to check a few currency pairs too.
Had a bash at a few stock but lost out there too. Timing problems.
I'm to a point where I can call direction quite consistently but timing of entry and risk have been a major problem for me.

What about yourself? What you into?

Afternoon guys,

If I sort out a date and time and place would everyone be up for meeting again? I know Synonym and a couple of others from T2W would probably come. We met up a while ago as you can probably tell from the previous threads?

TT

You meet other traders from the NW and converse! Like you said TF you can speak to other traders rather than speaking to your gf! I found it very interesting last time we met. If a couple of us are up for it I'll organise it.

Too many approaches... thats the problem. Too many ways to analyse and I'm fast becoming an incompetent jack-of-all-trades and master of none.
Like to look at oil and indices. Arm could be twisted to check a few currency pairs too.
I'm to a point where I can call direction quite consistently but timing of entry and risk have been a major problem for me.

I've seen that danger myself too. As a novice you have to look into and learn various approaches to get some idea of what appeals, what you think works and what you think you can have confidence in, so that you can really be disciplined and put money on the line.

I think this is one of the hardest things, as you never really know whether you are doing right for wrong. It's very easy to fall into an area of trading, have some success (a good run can last quite a while) while really not understanding the bigger picture and why you are being successful, and indeed why you are not being successful when your luck/the underlying catalyst for your success stops.

The key issue here is to get through this phase while still having enough £ capital and emotional capital to be able to move on and learn to trade successfully and consistently in future. It's hard to keep focussed and keep moving forwards.

Thankfully, i have been through most of this steep learning curve without getting really burnt. I'm approaching the end of the curve. It's funny, when you are at the start and the middle of the curve, you have no idea how far along you are (you sometimes think you do...but you don't...or do you?..), or indeed if it really is an actual curve that has an end at all, or whether you are on a pointless meandering journey to nowhere. However, as you get towards the end, you can start to see the light and the way forwards with confidence, you know that you are on track. You just feel it. Those endless questions have either disappeared or you have answers to them that you know are correct.

I am not saying that you've done it all then. No, far from it, that's the true starting point of becoming a professional trader. The equivilent of passing your driving test if you like.

The way to get through that without blowing up or just losing it, is by keeping positive, being determine, being prudent, very sensible and realistic. You have to be careful that this does not turn into prevarication.

Here's a very breif and basic summary of a good way to approach starting in trading. (The bolded points are not mine, but i can't remember where i got them from, my thanks to whoever penned then first).

1. Focus on trading vehicles/strategies and time horizons that suit your personality and your objectives.
Not everyone can be successful at trading (do you really know yourself and believe you can do it), and not everyone can be successful with every approach. No, there will be a small number of approaches that suit a person best. You need to know this, as every small edge is vital in this game.

2. Identify non-random price behaviour while recognising markets are random most of the time. Well maybe not random, but random/complex enough for you as an individual to be unable to predict it with a high degree of success.

3. Absolutely convince myself that what I have found is statistically valid.

4. Set up effective trading rules, including risk management and money management. A hugely important area.

5. Follow the rules.

And just added by me - 6. Keep detailed records and review your performance periodically. Understand why you are making changes (and have good reason) before you make any changes.
and
7. If you are having a losing run beyond what your research says you shoudl expect and do not know why, stop trading and review until you do.

This is the simple start point as i say. From this point, this is where the real learning begins.

Hope that helps.
Syn

Last edited:
Well I think im gona try and sort something out, we met up in starbucks last time which was ok Im gona send a few messages out now. Its been a while since we all met up.

If you are finding you can do something consistently, and your sure of that, then clearly define what that is, is it in particular markets, and at what timeframe? This will then give you a basis for developing an approach taht is right for you.

I've done like you and looked at indices, stocks, sectors, etc. I've settled on commodities.