North West Traders

Syn, i suppose i've not really settled on one approach yet, still trying to find my feet. i think i'll try and settle on the 1hr timeframe keeping an eye on sup/res on the 4 hour chart, no systems or strategies ive come across seem to work for me, so i think its time to develop my own approach to the markets! how about yourself?
Martin

I'd be more than happy to meet up/arrange a meet, if we could clarify first whether those intending to attend actually have similarities in their beliefs about the markets and approaches to trading. Of course all traders should have some things in common, however, if we don't have some overlap, there really is limited benefit to meeting up.

Also still happy to talk on here.

I didn't realise there was a stumbling block TBH...I was under the impression a meet was perhaps social in the first instance and then we can lecture each other about what we should be doing :LOL:

To be fair, I was waiting for communications.
Did the pub issue and location get resolved?

Syn, i suppose i've not really settled on one approach yet, still trying to find my feet. i think i'll try and settle on the 1hr timeframe keeping an eye on sup/res on the 4 hour chart, no systems or strategies ive come across seem to work for me, so i think its time to develop my own approach to the markets! how about yourself?
Martin

Hi Martin
I was around yday afternoon and could have replied, but for some strange reason i only received email notification of your reply at 6.06pm when i'd logged off.

It can be hard to find the right direction to begin with and something that you think you can make work. I think nearly everyone must struggle with that in the early days...and some well beyond those early days come to think about it!

Right, do you know why have you chosen day trading and the 1hour time frame? What particular markets attract you and more importantly...why?

I'm not market expert/veteran, but i am nearing the end of a huge learning curve and i can see things all starting to fally into place very nicely. I'm focussed on swing trading commodities...and some etf's, sectors and stocks.
Syn

Hi Martin
I was around yday afternoon and could have replied, but for some strange reason i only received email notification of your reply at 6.06pm when i'd logged off.

It can be hard to find the right direction to begin with and something that you think you can make work. I think nearly everyone must struggle with that in the early days...and some well beyond those early days come to think about it!

Right, do you know why have you chosen day trading and the 1hour time frame? What particular markets attract you and more importantly...why?

I'm not market expert/veteran, but i am nearing the end of a huge learning curve and i can see things all starting to fally into place very nicely. I'm focussed on swing trading commodities...and some etf's, sectors and stocks.
Syn

Syn, I haven't really decided on day trading as such just yet. Most people seem to agree that a lot of people get burned with comissions/spreads from day trading, so I'm not sure if i'll eventually go down that route! I think i'm at the beginning of my learning curve!!

I like the 1hr time frame on UK stocks as there doesn't seem to be too much noise like there is on other markets like currencies. Movements seem to be less random and there are so many uk stocks to choose from to position/swing trade at any on time.

Martin

Syn, I haven't really decided on day trading as such just yet. Most people seem to agree that a lot of people get burned with comissions/spreads from day trading, so I'm not sure if i'll eventually go down that route! I think i'm at the beginning of my learning curve!!

I like the 1hr time frame on UK stocks as there doesn't seem to be too much noise like there is on other markets like currencies. Movements seem to be less random and there are so many uk stocks to choose from to position/swing trade at any on time.

Martin

Increased commissions are a problem, but IMHO there are lots of more important reasons as to why daytrading off the floor is often an real uphill struggle. I'd say that the further you are from the trading floor, the better you are trading longer timeframes, especially as a newcomer. Not that you can't make it in online daytrading, but it's probably making it harder than it need be.

i agree syn, one of my mates trades as a derivative trader professionally and his opinion is that you need someone as mentor, or to bounce ideas off if you are trading short term

i agree syn, one of my mates trades as a derivative trader professionally and his opinion is that you need someone as mentor, or to bounce ideas off if you are trading short term

Interesting, who does he work for? What kind of derivatives? A mentor would be great whatever kind of trading you do i think.

hi folks,
I used to arrange these North West meet ups, but obviously stopped.

What is needed is simply for someone to take ownership of making arrangements to date time and location.

Weekends would be better for those that work or trade full time
and also giving plenty of notice for those folks who need to make arrangements for child minded or getting permissions from Mr or Mrs Trader.

I for one would be interested in a get to gether as its been a while since ive been.

Details on the first page of this thread of a nice central location that is EASY to get to

NW Traders!

It looks like activity here has really dried down since the new year. Since the last meet up nothing has really happened. Let's try and organise another meeting. I found the last one to be quite useful and I know there are a few of us who would be up for it. Could we see if weekdays or weekends would be suitable for everyone? Please let me know and then we can start the ball rolling. I realise that we won't be able to get a date that suits everyone but lets try.

Many thanks