FTSE 100 intraday trading - JUNE 2003

Inspiration is not a word I would readily associate
with the BBC's concept of market information.

lol

hmm
time is right - 1.00 but ........

adv/dec line is not confirming

anyway
I've drawn a line across the peaks this morning
lets see if it can break through ?
and hold it.

I've got to go now Bonsai -- best of luck with the rest of the day-- It looks like the 60 point 'buffer' only counts from what's visible on the chart If I don't come back,have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
ta
looks like we are on our way.
heaven help us if the dow doesnt follow suit ?

I reckon this is the 5th leg
so if you are not already long be careful
it could stop dead in its tracks.
but it is friday and we have seen some good runs on fridays.

if you havent looked at it today
the S&P futures on page 1 are definitely worth a butchers.

we have now managed to break out across the channel which
has formed since the begining of April.

for the romantics among you I would point out that
today is D-Day and the invasion of Normandy. !

wholly appropriate dont you think !

so call up the tanks and lets move inland .

Hi Bonsai

Just pop in for a little while to cash in a few points and wait for the Dow to start rolling.

I hope you made a killing this morning!!

I hope you took a leaf out my book - or shall I say my prediction and went long on the Dow.

now its back up again
but thats ok
its the sort of thing I have to live with because I hate losses

bonsai, do you trade ftse futures for a living, if so i assume you use a direct access broker-which one?

hi boy

I use sb's or cfd's almost exclusively for trading intra day ftse.

longer term trading for options and futures I often use
a broker friend for advice on timing trades and for hedging etc.

edit.

Last edited:
looks like we may have topped for a while
I expect to see 30 again maybe today maybe monday
not that will necessarily be the start of the next rally.
we could easily go back to 100 if the dow decides to pause for a while.

and whatever you may read or hear over the weekend
- nobody knows .

Bonsai

Re SB and tax

When you get time do you think you might be able to pm me on this issue as I would like to think no income tax is involved when trading full time and would be grateful if you could explain how tax would not be liable in such circumstances.

Kevin

Some days, don't youjust wish you had stayed in bed :LOL:

Recap on Friday's game. A game of 2 halves ! :LOL:

Attachments

• june6.gif
    june6.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 362
kevin
Free advice about tax is one thing and I have given mine freely.
Private advice however involves significant fees and I dont think
that's what you had in mind.

If you have an sb account, I would refer you to their own literature
on the subject which I can confirm are correct statements.

"Under current Taxation rules,Spead betting is free from government
stamp duty and winnings are free of Capital Gains and Income Tax".

Hope this settles the matter for you.
You're OK.

Bonsai

Thank you for your post yes I do realise there is no stamp duty or capital gains tax through spreadbetting.

It is my hope to become a full time trader in a couple of years (when it will be the optimum time financially for me to move from work) At this point I will obviously need to obtain professional advice regarding income from SB as a main source of income (which at present it is not).

I currently use D4F for my intraday trend trading and futures for scalping 5 - 10 points at a time.

On a different note I was going back through the previous FTSE thread you started and noticed your resistence lines trading aid.
If you did not already know this is called the 'Fan Principle' (John Murphy's book 'Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets' ) and can be used on any timescale. I include it in my own daytrading as it proves an excellent indicator for when the trend has been broken. You then expand the line and very often when the price retraces in a new intraday rising trend; the next pivot will undoubtedly be above and close to the expanded line. In the case of a new falling intraday trend the line will be broken and the next price pivot will be seen close to and just below the expanded line. It is an excellent early indicator because as the price moves against the current intraday trend or price cycle the expanded line makes you aware of a very good reversal point. So as soon as the price starts to move as you expect and or other indicators confirm this movement you can make an early entry in line with the current price trend. Resistence to support and support to resistence. The simplest set-ups are often proved to be the best.

Kevin

Very wise to get proper advice when starting up.
Surprising how many people dont and then expect you to get them out of the mess when the sh*t has hit the fan.

On 'resistance lines'.
I think the fan lines you refer to are inevitably drawn from the low.

Mine arent and shouldnt be thought of as the same thing.
They are often drawn from the low before the low (if you see what I mean. There are also other features attached to them which I prefer not to disclose other than to say the gradient is the most important element.

Some lines will be drawn from the low as per standard fan line concepts and could be any gradient but I regard them as just random lines.

I may sometimes call them 'resistance' lines but that just me being sloppy.