FTSE 100 intraday trading - JULY 2003

no takers on the last one
how about this one

anyone think we will make the gain line by the close ?

lol
no takers on that one either
just for the record we finished -21

I thought that was the easier of the two.

Beginning to wonder if anybody is actually trading the ftse intraday except one or two maybe.

Hi Bonsai

I'm still trading the FTSE. Had a bad run for a couple of weeks but back on track now. By the time I saw your posts the answer was obvious so not much point in posting a reply....

Am still enjoying this thread, although haven't posted for a while as full concentration needed for trading (and its much harder to post when things aren't going so well!). There must still be loads of other silent participants to this thread from the number of views. Keep up the good work :)

Waytogo

waytogo

thanks for that
but there are probably 150 regular posters on this board that
leaves about 4100 voyeurs who contribute nothing.

same the world over I suppose.

Ftse provided its usual 2 swings again today
and both were tradeable although you needed to
get in early to get the best results.
Predictable support around 4030. If you didnt see it
draw a line on your chart going back to 25th june.

We wont mention projections today :LOL:

Attachments

• jul17.gif
    jul17.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 319
Bonsai

Sat on the sidelines all day (but kept in touch between golf viewing). As you saw I got a bit spooked this morning and closed out 3 longs, although added to 2 shorts.

I do try to reply when I'm about so you don't feel alone!! Also very sure that a lot of people appreciate and enjoy all your posts even if they keep quiet. I know I do. Keep up the good work.

good trading

jon

bonsai said:
Ftse provided its usual 2 swings again today
and both were tradeable although you needed to
get in early to get the best results.
Predictable support around 4030. If you didnt see it
draw a line on your chart going back to 25th june.

We wont mention projections today :LOL:

The wisdom of bonsai, a.k.a hindsight

Bonsai

Ialso trade the FTSE intraday and really enjoy and look forward to your posts. It is interesting to compare entries and exits and your reasons for them. I am sure as Barjon says there are lots of people out there who feel the same.

thanks JeanM

but I really started this thread for chat with like minded people
who are fairly active traders.
however it seems there are very few.

pity there are also morons who post but contribute nothing.

I'm not sure if that means that I am being classed as a "moron"!!
The reason I don't contribute is I am not at this moment in time confident enough to feel I could offer anything that would be of any help to anyone else. Sitting in front of a computer all day can be very lonely and the great benefit of this site is to know there are other people out there doing the same thing who are generous enough to spare the time to pass on some of their hard won expertise.

barjon said:
Bonsai

I do try to reply when I'm about so you don't feel alone!! Also very sure that a lot of people appreciate and enjoy all your posts even if they keep quiet. I know I do. Keep up the good work.

good trading

jon

Thats awfully sweet of you jon, I'm sure it's lonely for bonsai up at the top.

JeanM - don't be shy - can always share your thoughts or ask questions.

waqr - well I am sweet aren't I, and then he goes and calls me a moron.

jon

JeanM
I wasn't referring to you.

your'e very welcome anytime you would like to post your thoughts.

Last edited:
i hope everyone had a good trading session! I on the other hand have had a rollercaoster of ride with the FTSE 100 futures, ending in disaster when it comes to my equity! like bonsai said, down in the morning, up in the afternoon. my demons have ultimately prevented me from being disciplined. the interesting thing was how i managed to scalp a few points going by discretion and looking just at price action.

it's probably no surprise that i will be back to paper trading for the next week to sort out my discipline.

i've attached my execution statement.

good luck to everyone!

Attachments

• ftse100.doc
    82.5 KB · Views: 237
sorry to hear that reactor
it can be a b * t c h when things start to go wrong.

its real chaos out there and the only safety, I think ,
is in a system

the reality is none of us know whether the next tick will
be up or down.
And I mean no-one.

edit :LOL:
I used the word b * t c h but apparently that's not allowed.
so I am trying b * s t a r d instead.
see if I can get past the censors.

edit :edit :LOL: :LOL:
apparently the censor is not s*xist !

there's no need to be sorry bonsai!

it's all down to my lack of discipline. doh i've forgot to put the number of of points i lost yesterday on my last post as its not too easy to work out from my execution statement. don't gasp too much for those that read this. net loss of 54 points with commission factored in.

there were 8 winning trades and 8 losing trades. winning trades made me 12.5 points but losing trades lost me 62.5. i must have broken all the fundamental rules of trading and more yesterday!

it's a meditation posting here, especially when its losses. if anything it's making me more disciplined because i have to face the reality, and psychologically making me have to stick to my strategy next time.

back onto the ftse 100, were investors stitched up from wednesday to thursday or what?! after running up the underlying stocks of the ftse 100 on monday to astronomical levels, all the value on monday and more gets knocked out of it! is this financial institutions manipulating stocks or what?!

the ftse 100 futures didnt retrace completely yesterday, but instead hovered around the 61.8% line before trending up. so the big question is will the futures go back up above 4070? we're trading in the range at the moment which was experienced back on the 08/07/03 and 09/07/03. at the end of that period the ftse 100 futures traded in a strong down trend. if there is no market memory then one wouldn't expect a full retracement.

one thing for sure, though, volatility is going down, hence lower margin requirements and ntrs, so weeks like this are getting fewer and far between.

good luck to everyone today as i get the feeling it's going to be a choppy day ahead!