Currency trading (Aug 28th > Sept 1st)

zuke said:
I did a little straddle on CS and it reminded me why I can never trade serious money with those cowboys. I had a sell order at 8975 which was hit but not filled until...wait for it....11 mins later. Guess what? the price at that time was 9025!

It's for that very reason that most serious full time traders dont use SB's.
zuke, i couldn't agree more, i've constantly faught the spread betters in the past
and did not become regularly profitable untill i changed to futures. I've no
complaints with IB and you know your fighting the market, not the 3 way fight you have with the spread betters.

cloudbase said:
zuke, i couldn't agree more, i've constantly faught the spread betters in the past
and did not become regularly profitable untill i changed to futures. I've no
complaints with IB and you know your fighting the market, not the 3 way fight you have with the spread betters.

Hi Cloudbase

Are you trading the Globex FX futures rather than the IB spot rate? I've wondered about this as they are very liquid and of course very fair. My only concern with them is that although they track the spot pretty much tick for tick, they don't actually trade that often and if you are working a stop order then this is presumably not going to get activated until it actually trades beyond your level. With the spot FX on IB it just has to be quoted beyond your level (albeit twice rather than once).

Any comments on your experience?

a_gnome said:
Hi Cloudbase

Are you trading the Globex FX futures rather than the IB spot rate? I've wondered about this as they are very liquid and of course very fair. My only concern with them is that although they track the spot pretty much tick for tick, they don't actually trade that often and if you are working a stop order then this is presumably not going to get activated until it actually trades beyond your level. With the spot FX on IB it just has to be quoted beyond your level (albeit twice rather than once).

Any comments on your experience?
Hi a_gnome.
Yes trading the Globex GBP/USD future (6BU6).
I trde from the IB dome window and stops have always been filled with only 2/3
pips slipage at the worst for up to 5 contracts that i trade.
It is always very liquid during UK and US trading times, so no complaints.

G-Man said:
Wasn't expecting the bounce after the initial drop.
Anyone get it?

G-Man

I got the bounce at 73 but I remembered they had some more news and talked myself out of the positions. The USDJPY gave the secret away.

On the issue of brokers. Deal4free's price froze I did not know. I put a long through on c/s could not put my stop had to put my stop well bellow my normal limit. in the end. got stopped out managed to close back up. Deal4 free will not close my position. Ended up missing the drop to 74 to close back at 95... :eek:

Dunno if this is correct thread, or should be on NFP thread.
This is to do with NFP data days, and how often cable ranges a day. (wasps suggestion)

data source: http://www.livecharts.co.uk/historicaldata.php

cable: daily.
data from: 01-July-99 to date.

trading days: 2021
days range >= 150 = 582
days range >= 200 = 239
days range >= 250 = 78
days range >= 300 = 22
daily average: 126. (all days)
NB: daily range >= 150 INCLUDES daily range >= 250, 300, etc.

this is just a simple broad-brush simple analysis for possible further discussion.

trendie said:
Dunno if this is correct thread, or should be on NFP thread.
This is to do with NFP data days, and how often cable ranges a day. (wasps suggestion)

data source: http://www.livecharts.co.uk/historicaldata.php

cable: daily.
data from: 01-July-99 to date.

trading days: 2021
days range >= 150 = 582
days range >= 200 = 239
days range >= 250 = 78
days range >= 300 = 22
daily average: 126. (all days)
NB: daily range >= 150 INCLUDES daily range >= 250, 300, etc.

this is just a simple broad-brush simple analysis for possible further discussion.

Superb Trendie,

Thanks so much I'd just turned on and made coffee and was about to site down and go through each day. Saved me an hours work!! :D

I'm gonna copy and paste it to the NFP thread too.

coolTrader said:
I got the bounce at 73 but I remembered they had some more news and talked myself out of the positions. The USDJPY gave the secret away.

On the issue of brokers. Deal4free's price froze I did not know. I put a long through on c/s could not put my stop had to put my stop well bellow my normal limit. in the end. got stopped out managed to close back up. Deal4 free will not close my position. Ended up missing the drop to 74 to close back at 95... :eek:

deal4 free froze for me as well , convenient for them !!