Brexit and the Consequences

The MSM are also promoting the Brexit party whilst simultaneously continuing to smear UKIP which doesn't really raise too many questions as they continually smear UKIP anyway and is not unexpected, however MSM support for the Brexit party does raise further questions (or tells you all you need to know?) 🧐🤨🤫

As this will be my last contribution to this thread, I feel it falls upon me (yet again) to appeal to everyone's better nature and ask you all to treat those involved in the Brexit process - in whatever capacity - with the respect they deserve:

Farage.gif

A lot of twists and turns in your post Sig' - with questions at every juncture. Not too sure of the point(s) you're making or what it tells me that I need to know???
Tim.

I just find it highly suspicious that 40% of Tory councillors appear to be defecting in some way to the Brexit party. Is there a cynical takeover going on to prevent the Tories from collapsing into a heap or is it genuine defection from the Tories?

Devastating poll shows 40% of Tory councillors back the Brexit Party

Or is this the daily rag stirring it up, whilst promoting the Brexit party?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that cant' - and apologies if it's anything I've said or done that's contributed to your decision.
Tim.

I think it's more likely to be the quality of debate that has lost Cantagril's attention span. :p

I just find it highly suspicious that 40% of Tory councillors appear to be defecting in some way to the Brexit party. Is there a cynical takeover going on to prevent the Tories from collapsing into a heap or is it genuine defection from the Tories?

They are just doing the maths and pure opportunists to retain job/seat in power.

Being an MP is a lucrative job. More like property management with all the expenses. Heard recently some MPs carried out three house purchase/sales within their term.

Can one imagine investing all that time and effort doing up ones residence only to decide as soon as job is finished and one may enjoy the new decor, one has a change of heart and decides to buy something else as the current property is just not suitable anymore. :eek:

It's pure business imo.

They are just doing the maths and pure opportunists to retain job/seat in power.

Being an MP is a lucrative job. More like property management with all the expenses. Heard recently some MPs carried out three house purchase/sales within their term.

Can one imagine investing all that time and effort doing up ones residence only to decide as soon as job is finished and one may enjoy the new decor, one has a change of heart and decides to buy something else as the current property is just not suitable anymore. :eek:

It's pure business imo.

But this is a wholesale defection, if it is true then there isn’t a precedent.

At this point in time I think it has the potential to turn into a Brexit party hijacking.

But this is a wholesale defection, if it is true then there isn’t a precedent.

At this point in time I think it has the potential to turn into a Brexit party hijacking.

LOL What goes around comes around, so they say. (y)

I think it's more likely to be the quality of debate that has lost Cantagril's attention span. :p
Hi At',
I've participated/contributed to the comments section of a few YouTube channels devoted to Brexit and, based on those experiences, I can say with complete confidence that the standard of debate here on your thread is of a much higher standard than it is on YouTube. Okay, a few of us here (on both sides of the argument) can be a bit blunt and a bit rude occasionally - but it's thankfully devoid of the vitriol that some YouTubers dish out to anyone - regardless of what they write - based simply on which way they voted in the referendum. Whilst the same arguments do tend to get repeated ad nauseam, I can honestly say that I've learnt a lot from this thread (and the Brexit thread that that preceded it) and, in part, my views have been shaped as a result of it. I have you to thank for that - although I imagine you'll be disappointed that I started out as a default remainer pre-referendum and am now a keen Brexiteer! ;-)
Tim.

Hi At',
I've participated/contributed to the comments section of a few YouTube channels devoted to Brexit and, based on those experiences, I can say with complete confidence that the standard of debate here on your thread is of a much higher standard than it is on YouTube. Okay, a few of us here (on both sides of the argument) can be a bit blunt and a bit rude occasionally - but it's thankfully devoid of the vitriol that some YouTubers dish out to anyone - regardless of what they write - based simply on which way they voted in the referendum. Whilst the same arguments do tend to get repeated ad nauseam, I can honestly say that I've learnt a lot from this thread (and the Brexit thread that that preceded it) and, in part, my views have been shaped as a result of it. I have you to thank for that - although I imagine you'll be disappointed that I started out as a default remainer pre-referendum and am now a keen Brexiteer! ;-)
Tim.

Thank you for your kind words Tim, and I feel the same likewise about you and everyone else's help in setting me straight on some areas. (y) That old adage two heads better than one certainly true. Thank goodness we have Parliament and HoLs to save us from our selves. :)

Brexit is likely to be a long journey and I do miss Splitlink's European pov as I will miss Cantagril's and I wish they would say why they have left or are leaving. Certainly made the thread more interesting and colourful.

This thread has much collective experience in the bloggers and that is what makes opinions more valuable imo.

I'm not easily disappointed and with a comfortable early retirement ahead of me I only worry for my kids and the younger generation.

:)

Or is this the daily rag stirring it up, whilst promoting the Brexit party?

Brexit Party will attract real Tories as opposed to all those fakers who might as well be LibLabCon MP dross, who make up the majority in the HOC. Tory party split as MP's jump One way or the other post EU election drubbing. Maybe the Brexit Party will break through into mainstream politics.

As far as I can see, there will be just One outcome to all this. The people continually voting for any party who puts their name to a No Deal exit. After the dust settles, the EU will come begging for a trade deal. (y)(y)

https://www.westmonster.com/brexit-party-already-has-60000-paid-supporters/

Last edited:
Brexit Party will attract real Tories as opposed to all those fakers who might as well be LibLabCon MP dross, who make up the majority in the HOC. Tory party split as MP's jump One way or the other post EU election drubbing. Maybe the Brexit Party will break through into mainstream politics.

As far as I can see, there will be just One outcome to all this. The people continually voting for any party who puts their name to a No Deal exit. After the dust settles, the EU will come begging for a trade deal. (y)(y)

https://www.westmonster.com/brexit-party-already-has-60000-paid-supporters/

Looks to me to be more of a protest vote against the current Tory leadership, EU elections don't really matter to Tory Eurosceptics, MEP''s won't be there as soon as we exit.

I agree that any Brexit party is going to win the votes of people that voted leave, as soon as we leave what happens to those voters, indeed what happens to the Brexit party? I hope it won't be the same as the first time around and the whole thing is abandoned and left to remainers to sort out, we'd just be going around in circles.

It's no longer just about Brexit is it? Farage has been very astute in moving the argument onto democracy/betrayal/integrity. Labour & Conservative are still fighting the pros/cons of Brexit and who should lead their rabble. They just don't get it do they? And as for the Greens/Independent Group/Liberals .......................

I’ve been lounging on my sunbed by the pool for the past couple of weeks and musing gently about Brexit.

With all this talk of betrayal etc it seems to have escaped notice that the Government is doing its damndest to leave and deliver on the voice of the people (well, 52% of them anyway). Ah, I hear you say, but May’s deal is leaving in name only. Well, if you’ve taken the trouble to read it you will know that it is much more than that - as well as protecting our trade (particularly services) for the future.

So what about “no deal”? Yup, that would get us out without any obligations to the EU unless, of course, we wish to interact and trade with them in which case it would be on WTO terms. That would mean we would immediately have to accept a whole raft of EU rules and regulations in order to trade with them and our services (probably our most important sector nowadays) would be less protected than under May’s deal. This is probably worth a read https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/What-would-trading-on-WTO-terms-mean-Long-Guide.pdf .

I still really struggle to see how we would be better off overall out of the EU and I also struggle to see how we can just do whatever we want after having “taken back control”. After all, unless you want to be a hermit you have to take account of other people if you want to interact with them. Life (and politics) is about compromise.

I’ve been lounging on my sunbed by the pool for the past couple of weeks and musing gently about Brexit.

With all this talk of betrayal etc it seems to have escaped notice that the Government is doing its damndest to leave and deliver on the voice of the people (well, 52% of them anyway). Ah, I hear you say, but May’s deal is leaving in name only. Well, if you’ve taken the trouble to read it you will know that it is much more than that - as well as protecting our trade (particularly services) for the future.

So what about “no deal”? Yup, that would get us out without any obligations to the EU unless, of course, we wish to interact and trade with them in which case it would be on WTO terms. That would mean we would immediately have to accept a whole raft of EU rules and regulations in order to trade with them and our services (probably our most important sector nowadays) would be less protected than under May’s deal. This is probably worth a read https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/What-would-trading-on-WTO-terms-mean-Long-Guide.pdf .

I still really struggle to see how we would be better off overall out of the EU and I also struggle to see how we can just do whatever we want after having “taken back control”. After all, unless you want to be a hermit you have to take account of other people if you want to interact with them. Life (and politics) is about compromise.

It appears the compromises that would have to be made (ie BRINO) to appease remainers are compromises too far.

Wax lyrical all you like about the benefits, until the EU compromises then there is no change to May's proposed BRINO.

I won't mention defence, no one on the remain side is remotely interested in the lack of compromise there (which is why we have May's BRINO in the first place).

I have a feeling of unease with the Brexit party. Something is afoot. For what reason would die-hard Tories be putting themselves forward as EU candidates for a party other than their own? Is it because the Tory party will only be putting forward remainers for re-election, is it a genuine protest against TM? Is it all a contrived process to split the Eurosceptic vote between UKIP and the Brexit Party? Farage has consistently dismantled UKIP since he left. Something isn't quite making sense yet. The Brexit party is subscriber based, no policies, no manifesto, the logo is almost Tory blue, came out of nowhere, has gained massive support in a very short timeframe, has MSM support and looks to be 'Tory lite', suspicious is not the word.