Brexit and the Consequences

most of the European elections will show the increasing diversity in views of the people.....my general feeling is (like the UK) a lot of the citizens will vote against the current regimes and leadership parties in place as they have historically inflicted (perceived) unnecessary hardship on themselves and their families and local communities whilst seemingly rewarding other more (perceived) "privileged" citizens......

the increasing popularist vote is a vote to change things...... regardless of the many benefits and advantages that the current regime in place has provided......the negatives apparently outweighing the positives to these "failed" groups of society

A cynical view would say that in this increasingly "Nil responsibility" culture....it is far better for much of the population to drag everyone else down to their own unsuccessful levels than try to recognise ones own shortcomings and try to take responsibility to improve ones selves with commitment , hard work , discipline and fortitude.....

I cannot help thinking that the generations of lost jobs in defunct and archaic industries across a lot of the UK is the reason why Brexit was enacted .....a final 2 fingers up by the older generation (who didnt want to change) to the governments that helped make this happen and 2 fingers up to the british citizens that actually got their shit together and worked hard to improve their own circumstances despite such hardships and changes that we all had to make.....

happy days..........

N

I cannot help thinking that the generations of lost jobs in defunct and archaic industries across a lot of the UK is the reason why Brexit was enacted .....a final 2 fingers up by the older generation (who didnt want to change) to the governments that helped make this happen and 2 fingers up to the british citizens that actually got their shit together and worked hard to improve their own circumstances despite such hardships and changes that we all had to make.....

happy days..........
N

So, all fingers and no thumbs?:)

. . . I cannot help thinking that the generations of lost jobs in defunct and archaic industries across a lot of the UK is the reason why Brexit was enacted .....a final 2 fingers up by the older generation (who didnt want to change) to the governments that helped make this happen and 2 fingers up to the british citizens that actually got their shit together and worked hard to improve their own circumstances despite such hardships and changes that we all had to make....
Hi NVP,
I don't doubt that there is some truth in what you say, but I don't think the reasons you give explain the bulk of the leave vote. The pollsters and analysts tell us that the older working class generation accounted for a large part of it. However, to label them as being (part of) 'failed groups' is not correct. Of the brexiteers on T2W, I've met c_v and dentist 007 on a number of occasions and, whilst they may describe me as being part of a failed group, I can assure you they most certainly are not!

I don't think the reasons behind Brexit are that complicated. Sure, people voted leave for a whole bunch of reasons, but the chief common denominator is the recognition that the EU is another layer of bureaucracy overlaid on top of our own government over which they have minimal control, all the while being marched towards an ever deepening political union in a bid to create the Unites States of Europe. 52% of the population don't want that. Actually, my personal view is that that figure is much higher, because many of those who voted remain did so on the basis of 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't' and a fear of the consequences of Project Fear. Now the truth is out; project fear failed to materialise and most people are much better informed about the EU now than they were three years ago (i.e. they are much more aware of it's agenda, weaknesses and failings). On that basis, in the event of another referendum, I fully expect the leave majority to increase.
Tim.

:eek::oops::eek:o_O:eek::oops::eek:
1553363272440.png

Hi NVP,
I don't doubt that there is some truth in what you say, but I don't think the reasons you give explain the bulk of the leave vote. The pollsters and analysts tell us that the older working class generation accounted for a large part of it. However, to label them as being (part of) 'failed groups' is not correct. Of the brexiteers on T2W, I've met c_v and dentist 007 on a number of occasions and, whilst they may describe me as being part of a failed group, I can assure you they most certainly are not!

I don't think the reasons behind Brexit are that complicated. Sure, people voted leave for a whole bunch of reasons, but the chief common denominator is the recognition that the EU is another layer of bureaucracy overlaid on top of our own government over which they have minimal control, all the while being marched towards an ever deepening political union in a bid to create the Unites States of Europe. 52% of the population don't want that. Actually, my personal view is that that figure is much higher, because many of those who voted remain did so on the basis of 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't' and a fear of the consequences of Project Fear. Now the truth is out; project fear failed to materialise and most people are much better informed about the EU now than they were three years ago (i.e. they are much more aware of it's agenda, weaknesses and failings). On that basis, in the event of another referendum, I fully expect the leave majority to increase.
Tim.

When you say project fear has failed to materialise you're jumping the gun a bit are you not? We're not even out yet - let's see what happens when we are. Even then we won't really know for 10 years or so whether we've been seriously wounded or not.

Totally understand people responses ....and I would never label everybody who voted Brexit into that group I identified in my earlier post....I was just trying to define a body of people who (possibly / probably) took the vote across to the leavers "majority"

so apologies if this was interpreted incorrectly .....

When you say project fear has failed to materialise you're jumping the gun a bit are you not? We're not even out yet - let's see what happens when we are. Even then we won't really know for 10 years or so whether we've been seriously wounded or not.

dont know about others here but i hav'nt really got the luxury of 10 years to write off in that experiment 52% of the country have voted for !!

dont know about others here but i hav'nt really got the luxury of 10 years to write off in that experiment 52% of the country have voted for !!

Hi Jon,
Yes, I agree with you that we don't know what will happen immediately after Brexit - if it ever happens. What I was referring to in my last post were the doom 'n gloom predictions given by Cameron, Osborne and Carney et al about what would happen immediately after the 2016 referendum: i.e. instant recession, hundreds of thousands of job losses and a punishment budget etc.

I accept that post-Brexit in the short term, i.e. months, that there will be teething problems - especially if we leave with no-deal. However, time is our friend and, with the passage of it, said issues will be resolved. I don't buy into the 'catastrophe' predictions simply because we're the world's 5th largest economy. If all it takes is a couple of iffy U.S. mortgage companies to spark the 2008 financial crash - the shock waves of the U.K. being 'seriously wounded' would be tsunami like by comparison. Needless to say, it isn't in the EU's interests to let that happen - let alone actually facilitate it. To conclude: some short term adjustments will be required and may be uncomfortable for some but, in the long term, we'll be much better off. And, if the EU does struggle down the road, although we won't be immune from the fallout - but we'll be much better off than the 27 members locked in the union.
Tim.

Another optimist! :D

Seeing as wot the simplest deal since dinosaurs roamed the earth has turned out to present the kiddies on the smart table with a problem or two, it well be that getting out of the EU mess (and recovering from that process) may take almost as long as getting into it. We can catch up in a few decades or so and review the situation but you'll need a ouija board to get my vox pop.

On the Article 50 petition: I see that voting has slowed down to a trickle - less than a thousand a minute at present. God help them when the footie comes on.

Latest (brilliant) offering from Jonathan Pie. Enjoy . . .

I find this guy so irritating he makes me look like a walk in the park.

Somebody needs to smash a custard pie in his face, they really do. What with all his effing and blinding (something I can relate to) but he really is a piece of horrible stuff that one might step in.

Surprised you've taken a liking to him Tim. You certainly do a have a touch of Mr Hyde about you. :eek:

I find this guy so irritating he makes me look like a walk in the park.

Somebody needs to smash a custard pie in his face, they really do. What with all his effing and blinding (something I can relate to) but he really is a piece of horrible stuff that one might step in.

Surprised you've taken a liking to him Tim. You certainly do a have a touch of Mr Hyde about you. :eek:

One of the best comedians around at the moment and decent comedians are in short supply.