Brexit and the Consequences

Yes, yes, yes indeed gentlemen, I'm well aware of all that. But let's be honest, when it comes right down to it, one way or another, the political elite can get around all of those issues. They have the will and they can hire in the brains. The bottom line (underneath your bottom lines) is that whilst we might wish for the conclusion you each outline, there's a snowball's chance in hell of it actually happening. I look forward to eating my hat! ;-)
Tim.
Is the thought process really “laws schmaws who cares?”

You think people-MPs (which MPs & how) will rip up the EU Withdrawal Act, revoke Article 50, oust May, install new PM in time for the 29th.

correct me if I’m wrong, but I just don’t see a feasible way around the no deal except to pass MV2. Tusk said UK must pass “deal as it is”. MV3 isn’t just disallowed by Bercow it’s disallowed by Tusk.

Now you’re saying that somehow they will all come together for my substantially new deal, ratify it before Brexit date, appease Tusk, get around Bercow ...

I am desperate to understand the reasoning behind “the powers-that-be will find a way”. Who are the powers that be?

Does anybody else think that house speaker Bercow’s voice is really annoying?
“Orduh!, Orduh!” it is supposed to be pronounced “Order, Order”
So much for Queen’s English! He puts the cow in Bercow.

Is the thought process really “laws schmaws who cares?”

You think people-MPs (which MPs & how) will rip up the EU Withdrawal Act, revoke Article 50, oust May, install new PM in time for the 29th.

correct me if I’m wrong, but I just don’t see a feasible way around the no deal except to pass MV2. Tusk said UK must pass “deal as it is”. MV3 isn’t just disallowed by Bercow it’s disallowed by Tusk.

Now you’re saying that somehow they will all come together for my substantially new deal, ratify it before Brexit date, appease Tusk, get around Bercow ...

I am desperate to understand the reasoning behind “the powers-that-be will find a way”. Who are the powers that be?

The powers that be lost any right to dictate policy when they asked the people and lost the referendum.
Remainers still think that our politicians hold the power, which ordinarily they do, but on the Brexit issue they do not. This is why they are making a complete hash of Brexit, because they know that the game is up and that they are powerless to go up against the people. Boy o boy do they not like this loss of control.

it is hilarious that some people— A few fries short of a Happy Meal—are talking about revoking article 50!

wakey wakey
revoking article 50 will do you no good without repealing the Brexit law.

Tory MPs vow to quit party if Boris Johnson becomes leader!

Boris becoming leader???? If that comes to be then I'll join you Tim in that hat eating party of yours. :)

. . . I am desperate to understand the reasoning behind “the powers-that-be will find a way”. Who are the powers that be?
Hi hhiusa,
You're understanding of British politics strikes me as being excellent. Even so, I suspect you might be making a very reasonable - albeit very false - assumption about what's happening which could account for why your impeccable logic is flawed. Namely, you might (and I stress might) assume that we have a democracy here in the U.K. I used to think that prior to Brexit, so it's entirely understandable if you think that too. Sadly, and I really do mean sadly, the Brexit process has stripped away that veil - that illusion - to reveal how parliamentary democracy really works. Or, to be more accurate, doesn't work. There's a kind of irony here in that it's the same reason leavers voted for Brexit in the first place. Leavers came to the conclusion that the EU was fundamentally undemocratic, but it's come as something as a shock to many of us to discover that the UK is every bit as bad. Maybe I'm just an ol' cynic or simply a bit naive. Or both.
Tim.

Boris becoming leader???? If that comes to be then I'll join you Tim in that hat eating party of yours. :)

Boris will not become leader. You can take that to the bank.

If May leaves or is ousted, then I strongly suspect Dominic Raab will be the next leader.

Many MPs don't like Boris, but out in the country where in the new order of things votes may in the future count for something, Boris is a vote puller. Didn't Boris and the red bus help swing the last important vote that we had? And didn't Boris win 2 terms as Mayor of London? The Establishment didn't like the Donald either did they?

Hi hhiusa,
You're understanding of British politics strikes me as being excellent. Even so, I suspect you might be making a very reasonable - albeit very false - assumption about what's happening which could account for why your impeccable logic is flawed. Namely, you might (and I stress might) assume that we have a democracy here in the U.K. I used to think that prior to Brexit, so it's entirely understandable if you think that too. Sadly, and I really do mean sadly, the Brexit process has stripped away that veil - that illusion - to reveal how parliamentary democracy really works. Or, to be more accurate, doesn't work. There's a kind of irony here in that it's the same reason leavers voted for Brexit in the first place.

You would most certainly be correct in your assessment of me. :giggle:

I did mistakenly assume that the UK was a democracy. I had/have been trying to reconcile the belief—by myself and other Britons—that the UK was a democracy with the appearance that it wasn't.

Maybe that is why it is in fact called a constitutional monarchy.

Leavers came to the conclusion that the EU was fundamentally undemocratic, but it's come as something as a shock to many of us to discover that the UK is every bit as bad. Maybe I'm just an ol' cynic or simply a bit naive. Or both.
Tim.

This may also be the reason why we (Brits who are now Americans) decide to do our own Leave Campaign in the 1700s. :giggle:

Just watch the useless headless chickens next week if Tusk et al are to be believed.

Unfortunately I’m with Timothy and lost all faith in Parliament many moons ago. TM ‘looks’ like she’s putting on a good show, but who is the show for?

What an utter shower of sh1te this lot are, a frickin £71M welder could have made a better job of Brexit ( no offence to the lucky winner, I’m well jel).

I really hope to see the majority of MP’s crying into their taxpayer subsidised pints in one of the many Westminster bars by the end of next week, they deserve it.

Theresa May the biggest con woman prime minister in British history is now trying to placate the public, say what?

Who does she think she is kidding Monsieur Barnier?

May's statement: Everyone else's fault except mine!

No integrity, no leadership, no awareness, no future.

Not just May - WHOLE tory party included.

UK needs to take time out to reconsider shenanigans.

Cancel Article 50.

Re-elect new leaders across all three main parties.

Hold national elections with parties and MPs laying out their stalls.

People can then move forward with their informed decisions.

Then we can all move forward with our democratic system which has served us very well.

Much ado about nothing.

I'm so tired listening to people talking about the advisory referendum as if it was the beginning and end of all democracy in the UK.

Some of you have to get a grip with your put downs. :(

(y)

I thought May was absolutely pathetic stating "I'm not prepared to delay Brexit beyond June!"

Does she think she is in control? Clarke was right. Simply a very difficult woman who has lost all sense of reality. :sick::sick::sick:

Not just May - WHOLE tory party included.

UK needs to take time out to reconsider shenanigans.

Cancel Article 50.

Re-elect new leaders across all three main parties.

Hold national elections with parties and MPs laying out their stalls.

People can then move forward with their informed decisions.

Then we can all move forward with our democratic system which has served us very well.

Much ado about nothing.

I'm so tired listening to people talking about the advisory referendum as if it was the beginning and end of all democracy in the UK.

Some of you have to get a grip with your put downs. :(

(y)

3 years iv'e been telling remainers that a No Deal would be the outcome.

It really wasn't that difficult to work out.;):LOL::giggle:(y)