Brexit and the Consequences

Not a EU flag to be seen.
Hi Sig',
Yes, an interesting observation as I don't doubt that many of those protesters view themselves as Europeans and a fair chunk of them will be strongly in favour of the EU. However, first and foremost they think of themselves as Spaniards, evidenced by the sea of red and yellow flags. I'm still surprised when I'm challenged on this issue of national identity as, to me, it's pretty obvious, basic stuff. I think it's strong in England and possibly stronger still in Wales and Scotland. But the fervour any of us (may) feel for our country is nothing to that felt in France, Spain and Italy. Coupled with this is a simple hierarchical structure of allegiance, commitment and support which, in broad terms, goes something like this:
1. Family
2. Friends
2. Local community
3. Region
4. Country
5. EU
The Catalan/Spanish issue is essentially about points 3 and 4 above. Brexit is about points 4 and 5 and the EU's desire to switch the two so that bureaucratic control and key decision making rests centrally with them in Brussels and not with individual countries. Madness, sheer madness!
Tim.
PS. Cue Madness video . . .

Timsk's current sig:

timsk_sig.png

A possible alternative for you and maybe ALL posters on this thread:
Timsk_Sig_new.png

Hmmm,

Probably some stupidity on my part somewhere. Can't see what's wrong and it was a poor jest anyway - you've not missed out:)

I laughed, it's a good one, a well constructed political jibe :LOL:(y)

OTOH, no links = no argument, links would have been more clever :giggle:

Hi Sig',
Yes, an interesting observation as I don't doubt that many of those protesters view themselves as Europeans and a fair chunk of them will be strongly in favour of the EU. However, first and foremost they think of themselves as Spaniards, evidenced by the sea of red and yellow flags. I'm still surprised when I'm challenged on this issue of national identity as, to me, it's pretty obvious, basic stuff. I think it's strong in England and possibly stronger still in Wales and Scotland. But the fervour any of us (may) feel for our country is nothing to that felt in France, Spain and Italy. Coupled with this is a simple hierarchical structure of allegiance, commitment and support which, in broad terms, goes something like this:
1. Family
2. Friends
2. Local community
3. Region
4. Country
5. EU
The Catalan/Spanish issue is essentially about points 3 and 4 above. Brexit is about points 4 and 5 and the EU's desire to switch the two so that bureaucratic control and key decision making rests centrally with them in Brussels and not with individual countries. Madness, sheer madness!
Tim.
PS. Cue Madness video . . .

A good assessment. Speaking from a laymans simplified perspective, when it comes to Westernised European territorial conflicts, there are at least 1000 years of historical, religious, cultural, language differences involving huge amounts of human suffering and death affecting every single global nation, it is human nature.

Now, try and impose some kind of modern sense of righteous liberalism, imposed by unelected elites comprising bankers, politicians, rich individuals, entitled people, monarchies, who don't follow their own doctrines but expect the rest of us to. Add in a dose of a new wave of social interaction (the internet) where we can share thoughts and ideas, expose the modern historical context, the wrongdoings of the elites and we see history in the making.

The USA knows this context and has managed to keep reasonable a lid on it (ironically by electing Trump), not so clever in Europe where governments have lost control of the narrative and the people with it, we are at the beginning of the end of the post-WW2 period, slowly changing the geo-political and social structures over the coming years.

Exciting times of change ahead, I foresee a long drawn out engagement before we might be able to say we've arrived, maybe in another 1000 years we will have made some 'progress' (without the progressiveness).

Watch the same repeated in the States if the Dems get near power agn (which they will eventually), so far they have had pussy hats and SJW's, no real state imposed violence to speak of (they haven't needed to), unlike Europe, France in particular can be held up as the exemplar of State violence against it's citizens (there is a reason why the BBC is not reporting this stuff, that and the fact that Macron must be on his exit ticket), Spain also.

Let's hope the violent contagion doesn't spread EU wide, although if history is anything to go by, it's almost a given that violent struggle against those who cling to power is what will happen.

I laughed, it's a good one, a well constructed political jibe :LOL:(y)

OTOH, no links = no argument, links would have been more clever :giggle:

Sorry, I don't do Clever...I've got Moronic, Cretinous, Daft and Brexit.... ran out of Clever years ago. Can I interest you in any Brexit?

Sorry, I don't do Clever...I've got Moronic, Cretinous, Daft and Brexit.... ran out of Clever years ago. Can I interest you in any Brexit?

Brexit coin, now there's a thought, I have some Remoanercoin to exchange, current exchange puts Bxcoin at 1.08 against 1 Rmcoin, just slightly ahead, wanna deal?

Add in a dose of a new wave of social interaction (the internet) where we can share thoughts and ideas, expose the modern historical context, the wrongdoings of the elites and we see history in the making.

You only have to look at what happened after they invented the printing press to see where we are going. The Establishment doesn't like it!

Some interesting forecasts from Douglas Carswell on the future effect of Brexit.
https://capx.co/the-brexit-wake-up-call/

Yep, i've been saying it for years. Our politicians have been afforded the luxury of not having to do, well, anything really and when we ask them to step up to the plate, they have been found wanting. For far too long they have abdicated responsibility whilst maintaining the facade of high office. They are utterly contemptable and useless, their shortcomings on full view when needed the most. It's going to take the Brexit crisis to sort all this out and I envisage a good 10 years before we can say that we do have competent leadership. Maybe longer.

WTF :LOL::ROFLMAO::oops::ROFLMAO::LOL:

This probably makes perfect sense to Att.

Some car parts cross the channel several times before the customer takes delivery.

How is this helping global warming?
How is this helping asthma sufferers?
How is this more efficient?
How is this helping to reduce carbon footprint?

The modern supply chain can mean that components can cross the Channel several times before the final product reaches the customer

Cast is made in France

Transferred to Hams Hall plant where it is crafted into shape

The pieces are sent to Munich and inserted into engine

Sent to Mini’s Oxford plant where it is installed in the car

Finished product is delivered to customers inc export market

Also this is a very efficient way of moving large quantities of money back and forth to avoid tax by means of transfer pricing..