Brexit and the Consequences

Yep, i've been saying it for years. Our politicians have been afforded the luxury of not having to do, well, anything really and when we ask them to step up to the plate, they have been found wanting. For far too long they have abdicated responsibility whilst maintaining the facade of high office. They are utterly contemptable and useless, their shortcomings on full view when needed the most. It's going to take the Brexit crisis to sort all this out and I envisage a good 10 years before we can say that we do have competent leadership. Maybe longer.

could not agree more ................we all knew that most of these people had made a career in the public Sector because they could not organise a fart in a baked bean factory ...........and we were right .........most of the many many things screwed up over the last few decades have been whitewashed and excused away .........but Brexit .........well there was nowhere to hide

beam me up scotty...we all have to still live in this country .....god help us

N

Also this is a very efficient way of moving large quantities of money back and forth to avoid tax by means of transfer pricing..

didnt realise it was still that rediculous in the motor industry ..........

Some interesting forecasts from Douglas Carswell on the future effect of Brexit.
https://capx.co/the-brexit-wake-up-call/

quoted from this excellent piece.....

This (Brexit) is going to mean the replacement of many of those that aren’t up to the task of public administration. It also means changing the type of public administration, with policies that remove restrictions on supply, and render redundant the different forms of subsidised demand.

my god is that an understatement .........my solution would be for the talented private sector personnel to have to do national service style work in the Public sector for 2 years .....put them in some key roles and finally push out the archaic processes and paper pushing andarmies of middle managers all doing F*ck all...........

every area ......NHS , Whitehall .....bloody quango's whatever they are .....Hs2 (dont go there ......pun)......local councils being "commercial" ......what a joke .......this whole Public Sector "industry" is built around preserving their jobs and payscales ....the non frontline staff truly think they are doing good jobs .........but thats becasue they are held to public sector soft performance indicators/ Targets and not the real world realities which flush such performance down the toilet through loss making businesses going broke ........

Yep......... sorry my favourite soapbox subject :)

N

Hi Sig',
Yes, an interesting observation as I don't doubt that many of those protesters view themselves as Europeans and a fair chunk of them will be strongly in favour of the EU. However, first and foremost they think of themselves as Spaniards, evidenced by the sea of red and yellow flags. I'm still surprised when I'm challenged on this issue of national identity as, to me, it's pretty obvious, basic stuff. I think it's strong in England and possibly stronger still in Wales and Scotland. But the fervour any of us (may) feel for our country is nothing to that felt in France, Spain and Italy. Coupled with this is a simple hierarchical structure of allegiance, commitment and support which, in broad terms, goes something like this:
1. Family
2. Friends
2. Local community
3. Region
4. Country
5. EU
The Catalan/Spanish issue is essentially about points 3 and 4 above. Brexit is about points 4 and 5 and the EU's desire to switch the two so that bureaucratic control and key decision making rests centrally with them in Brussels and not with individual countries. Madness, sheer madness!
Tim.
PS. Cue Madness video . . .

https://www.westmonster.com/french-mps-vote-for-compulsory-eu-flag-in-all-classrooms/

WTF :LOL::ROFLMAO::oops::ROFLMAO::LOL:

This probably makes perfect sense to Att.

Some car parts cross the channel several times before the customer takes delivery.

How is this helping global warming?
How is this helping asthma sufferers?
How is this more efficient?
How is this helping to reduce carbon footprint?

The modern supply chain can mean that components can cross the Channel several times before the final product reaches the customer

Cast is made in France

Transferred to Hams Hall plant where it is crafted into shape

The pieces are sent to Munich and inserted into engine

Sent to Mini’s Oxford plant where it is installed in the car

Finished product is delivered to customers inc export market

EU has rules about origins for imported goods and tariffs. You really don't have a clue, what you are talking about.

If not for this rule UK wouldn't have had the Japanese car plants assembling them in the UK. When Japan was looking at how it can over come protectionist Common Market tariffs on car imports it learned about the rule of origin rule and looked at producing cars or rather assembling them in EU. At the time UK offered biggest subsidies to attract them to the UK. Subsidies it begrudged to BL it paid to Japanese plants. Here we are today thanks to EU's rules of origin rules UK is one of the biggest car producers.

With respect to your green credentials you are very funny it you don't see the fallacy in your paper tiger argument pretending to be concerned about global climate change.

Aren't you the one who's suggesting we are better off trading with rest of the World, transporting products to Australia, NZ, Asia, Africa, North and Latin America? Instead of trading with our neighbours you feel we are better off getting substandard produce from considerably longer distances. You then go on reply with some trash trip response pretending to be concerned about global warming. You take the biscuit. Sit down and have a cuppa :)

fwiw Instead of competing with the best ie European neighbours such as Germany and France, you choose to compete with Commonwealth countries. This is a little like dropping off the premier league where UK is in 5th position and choosing to compete in the 2nd division in the hope it can top the league table. I mean the whole thinking process is just simply crazy.

I'm absolutely flabberghasted about how you can come out with such amazing total rubbish. :oops:

EU has rules about origins for imported goods and tariffs. You really don't have a clue, what you are talking about.

If not for this rule UK wouldn't have had the Japanese car plants assembling them in the UK. When Japan was looking at how it can over come protectionist Common Market tariffs on car imports it learned about the rule of origin rule and looked at producing cars or rather assembling them in EU. At the time UK offered biggest subsidies to attract them to the UK. Subsidies it begrudged to BL it paid to Japanese plants. Here we are today thanks to EU's rules of origin rules UK is one of the biggest car producers.

With respect to your green credentials you are very funny it you don't see the fallacy in your paper tiger argument pretending to be concerned about global climate change.

Aren't you the one who's suggesting we are better off trading with rest of the World, transporting products to Australia, NZ, Asia, Africa, North and Latin America? Instead of trading with our neighbours you feel we are better off getting substandard produce from considerably longer distances. You then go on reply with some trash trip response pretending to be concerned about global warming. You take the biscuit. Sit down and have a cuppa :)

fwiw Instead of competing with the best ie European neighbours such as Germany and France, you choose to compete with Commonwealth countries. This is a little like dropping off the premier league where UK is in 5th position and choosing to compete in the 2nd division in the hope it can top the league table. I mean the whole thinking process is just simply crazy.

I'm absolutely flabberghasted about how you can come out with such amazing total rubbish. :oops:

Yes Att, you have been confused for the longest time.

41% of components used to produce the mini are manufactured in the UK. The rest come from across Europe. So once we get Brexit done, perhaps it would make sense to get that figure up to 61% or how about 81%

Oh the EU has rules does it :LOL:. Yeah and I can tell you, that's just one of the reasons why we are leaving.

As for trade with the EU post Brexit. That will continue as before and we will cherry pick and on top of that we will cherry pick what trade we choose to do with the rest of the world. So, how you like them potatoes!

41% of components used to produce the mini are manufactured in the UK. The rest come from across Europe. So once we get Brexit done, perhaps it would make sense to get that figure up to 61% or how about 81%

Oh the EU has rules does it :LOL:. Yeah and I can tell you, that's just one of the reasons why we are leaving.

As for trade with the EU post Brexit. That will continue as before and we will cherry pick and on top of that we will cherry pick what trade we choose to do with the rest of the world. So, how you like them potatoes!

Att is a union man, any whiff off success or autonomy or bright ideas to help things run more smoothly will be swiftly dealt with.

Anyone who wants more free market and less reliance on central control will be dealt with.

Anyone not providing blockers, wasting time or wasting money will be dealt with.

Anyone seen overtly cooperating with business, management or seen cooperating at management meetings, will be dealt with.

Any worker seen thinking for themselves and using initiative will be dealt with.

No way can we have a successful thriving industry outside of the EU, we will see to that.

Plenty of Atts about to use less oil in the wheels of industry until they rust up.

Yes, getting it up to 61% or 81% would be nice, but it’s not in our control to make it so. Let’s hope BMW don’t take the whole shooting match elsewhere and make it 0%.

I read this and just thought ‘fake news’. It’s difficult to believe that a man in his position would be overheard in speculative loose talk in a bar about sensitive subjects such as Brexit. I know it happens and this could very well be true, but I tend to err on the side of fake news nowadays.

Another possibility is a controlled leak to the press, he would know he is surrounded by press whilst out in public, especially sat at a bar in Brussels.

I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Steve Turley's style of presentation, but his observations and assessments viz a viz Brexit, Europe and the EU strike me as being pretty much spot on . . .

It's sensible to be cautious on such reports but I don't believe ITV has a reputation for fake news.

All of the MSM are involved in the production of fake news, they parrot the same fake news stories between them, none of them are immune from it. It’s a global phenomenon. There isn’t a single news story that can be trusted until verified and as the ‘fact checkers’ and governments are also involved in the production of fake news then nothing can be verified.

First principles, trust nothing unless you can verify the source. The only organisations that have that capability are government intelligence agencies and even they have a verification scale put onto their own reports indicating the trustworthiness and then they get it wrong (Blair being the prime example, deliberate or not).