Brexit and the Consequences

Used to have a photo on page 3 when I used to look at the pictures back in the 80's:LOL:

It's funny it's the first place I started to read share prices on a daily basis.

Always remember the euro tunnel shares have big daily price movements.

Any back to the BBC football pages.

You see Oscar, it all went sideways when page 3 disappeared..... it was the start of the great British revolt.

On a serious note I am firmly in the leave camp, always have been. This whole issue with us "paying to do business" with Europe & the Eurofats throwing a hissy fit is, well lets face it, they've set up a well oiled miking machine in Brussels, we've upset the apple cart in spectacular fashion.

Change always grows from dissatisfaction, we have been dissatisfied with the status quo for a long time, I actually believe most Europeans feel the same way if they are totally honest with themselves.

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
I don't quite understand who - or what - your beef is with?

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in the Brexit result that's going to restrict you - or anyone else - who wishes to reside in other EU countries. One of the fundamental misunderstanding of the remain camp as a whole (although not you personally necessarily), is that they thought that a vote to leave was anti Europe and a desire to annex ourselves from Europeans. That's not the case at all. I love Europe and haven't ruled out the possibility of living there myself one day. I have a close friend who has just bought a villa in Portugal that I look forward to visiting and some other friends who live in Andalucía. Great places!

I can't speak for Teresa May and her government, but I can't see there's anything to be gained by stopping you and others like you from moving to sunny Europe. On the other hand, I suppose the Spanish authorities might view you differently once the political ties are cut. They would be shooting themselves in the foot by doing so, as ex-pats make a significant contribution to their local economy. If they did make life difficult in some way, then your beef would be with them and not with us.

To conclude, I don't see that anyone's denying you an opportunity, or making life difficult for you and, whilst I can't speak for all Brexiteers, I do indeed applaud you for pursuing your dreams. Good on ya!

Now, I must go and pack for my ferry crossing to France tomorrow . . .
Tim.

That smacks of the usual brexiteer "they need us us but we don't want them " attitude that seems a touch pie in the sky if not downright arrogant.

Wot??? :-0:-0:-0

Timsk arrogant! Noooo waaaaayyyyyyyy... His a very nice man. His a very very nice man!

Timsk, you packing your bags for France reminded me of this clip. Make sure you have AA as you never know where you might break down.

With the number of trips you make to Europe I'm beginning to think you may be on a little side earner. :cheesy:

That smacks of the usual brexiteer "they need us us but we don't want them " attitude that seems a touch pie in the sky if not downright arrogant.

And this is where my 'beef/problem' lies

Where is the assurance from my own MP and/or the holy tory governement that they will not bargain away my rights on a whim to suit themselves? To answer this one way or the other can anyone, Timsk etc point me in a (googled) directionthat explains where my rights in this matter lie? I need information. Yet none is forthcoming. Nada. and personally I don't trust the tories to care about me as far as I could throw them (n)

In the meantime we have applied for our NIE (like a national insurance number) and as soon as possible will apply for 'residencia' so at least we can prove we lived there before the sh!T (POSSIBLY) hits the fan. Seems like the best chance we have.

By the way on another point we chose our house in Gran Canaria, apart from the fact that the winter weather there is warmer than the summer weather in NW england, but rather because we face forward towards the ocean - which gives us some spectacular views - and we have the mountains behind us. Now although it is not my personal belief thoughI have a 'romantic notion' towards it...... the Chinese believe that this is good Feng Shui. Apparently the positive energies (and baby dragons) rise up from the water and flow through the house towards the mountains. On their way they leave good luck andan abundance of wealth.

I'm going to set up my new trading room on the sheltered balcony with a view across three beaches and atlantic ocean and believe the good karma will improve my trading . Will let you all know if the Feng Shui really works in good time :D

Last edited:
Jon,
I'm surprised and disappointed by your interpretation of what I said. Needless to say, it's not what I said or what I meant. I'm sorry if it sounded arrogant, that wasn't my intention. I genuinely didn't understand what Rich's issue is/was - but I do now. To wit . . .

Where is the assurance from my own MP and/or the holy tory governement that they will not bargain away my rights on a whim to suit themselves? To answer this one way or the other can anyone, Timsk etc point me in a (googled) directionthat explains where my rights in this matter lie? I need information.
Rich,
I hope I'm allowed to provide an answer to your question without being dismissed as being arrogant?

The reason your future status as an ex-pat living in Europe isn't yet clear is simply because that's one of the (many) topics tabled for discussion once Article 50 is triggered. Along with everyone else, I understand you want answers now but, equally, surely you understand why they're not forthcoming and are unlikely to be for quite some time. We all have to be patient.

I suggest you apply some of the relaxed mystical thinking you advocated in your previous post and be confident that the (Brexit) gods and dragons will work it out in the end. In the meantime, your ex-pat status is exactly as it was prior to the referendum.
Tim.

Jon,
I'm surprised and disappointed by your interpretation of what I said. Needless to say, it's not what I said or what I meant. I'm sorry if it sounded arrogant, that wasn't my intention. I genuinely didn't understand what Rich's issue is/was - but I do now. To wit . . .

Rich,
I hope I'm allowed to provide an answer to your question without being dismissed as being arrogant?

The reason your future status as an ex-pat living in Europe isn't yet clear is simply because that's one of the (many) topics tabled for discussion once Article 50 is triggered. Along with everyone else, I understand you want answers now but, equally, surely you understand why they're not forthcoming and are unlikely to be for quite some time. We all have to be patient.

I suggest you apply some of the relaxed mystical thinking you advocated in your previous post and be confident that the (Brexit) gods and dragons will work it out in the end. In the meantime, your ex-pat status is exactly as it was prior to the referendum.
Tim.

Tim

Sorry. I didn't mean to say that you were arrogant (I know you well enough to know otherwise) but that what you said - the Spain shooting itself in the foot bit - to some degree reflected the brexiteer attitude that the EU need us even though we've walked away from them. I think that's a pretty arrogant attitude.

Where is the assurance from my own MP and/or the holy tory governement that they will not bargain away my rights on a whim to suit themselves? To answer this one way or the other can anyone, Timsk etc point me in a (googled) directionthat explains where my rights in this matter lie? I need information. Yet none is forthcoming. Nada. and personally I don't trust the tories to care about me as far as I could throw them (n)

In the meantime we have applied for our NIE (like a national insurance number) and as soon as possible will apply for 'residencia' so at least we can prove we lived there before the sh!T (POSSIBLY) hits the fan. Seems like the best chance we have.

By the way on another point we chose our house in Gran Canaria, apart from the fact that the winter weather there is warmer than the summer weather in NW england, but rather because we face forward towards the ocean - which gives us some spectacular views - and we have the mountains behind us. Now although it is not my personal belief thoughI have a 'romantic notion' towards it...... the Chinese believe that this is good Feng Shui. Apparently the positive energies (and baby dragons) rise up from the water and flow through the house towards the mountains. On their way they leave good luck andan abundance of wealth.

I'm going to set up my new trading room on the sheltered balcony with a view across three beaches and atlantic ocean and believe the good karma will improve my trading . Will let you all know if the Feng Shui really works in good time :D
If you decide to move away from the UK then you need to accept the risks accompanying that move. Why should the UK barter rights for people that have moved away for the detriment of the ones that haven't. Effectively what you are saying is compromise the majority to accommodate the few. Nonsensical

If you decide to move away from the UK then you need to accept the risks accompanying that move. Why should the UK barter rights for people that have moved away for the detriment of the ones that haven't. Effectively what you are saying is compromise the majority to accommodate the few. Nonsensical

This is very much how I feel as a strong remainer. (y)

That the majority view has been hijacked by turn of events and misrepresented complex issues not properly weighed or judged for UK interest.

Addenda: Lord Lawson got to campaign (domiciled in France) whilst expats denied the vote. All so very wrong with full of contradictions.

Last edited:
Tim

Sorry. I didn't mean to say that you were arrogant (I know you well enough to know otherwise) but that what you said - the Spain shooting itself in the foot bit - to some degree reflected the brexiteer attitude that the EU need us even though we've walked away from them. I think that's a pretty arrogant attitude.
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the clarification.

As it happens, my comment about Spain is specific to that country as it reflects my knowledge about the the way it's administered, particularly in Andalucía where I've spent a lot of time over the last 15 years or so. If the Spanish make it difficult for Brits to travel and live there, (hopefully, they won't) then that will have a hugely damaging impact on the local economy. Everything from the housing market, restaurants and employment especially - which is already at dangerously high levels - will be hit hard. So, it's not a case of them needing us more than we need them - it's 50 / 50. We need their lifestyle; after all, one can't sit outside in the January sun overlooking the Med' eating a plate of freshly cooked Boquerones Fritos anywhere in the UK! If they make it tough for the likes of richy96 to live and work in Spain, then they'll lose out on his and fellow ex-pats onging contribution to the public purse. In that sense, they would indeed be shooting themselves in the foot; killing the goose that laid the golden egg etc.
Tim.

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the clarification.

As it happens, my comment about Spain is specific to that country as it reflects my knowledge about the the way it's administered, particularly in Andalucía where I've spent a lot of time over the last 15 years or so. If the Spanish make it difficult for Brits to travel and live there, (hopefully, they won't) then that will have a hugely damaging impact on the local economy. Everything from the housing market, restaurants and employment especially - which is already at dangerously high levels - will be hit hard. So, it's not a case of them needing us more than we need them - it's 50 / 50. We need their lifestyle; after all, one can't sit outside in the January sun overlooking the Med' eating a plate of freshly cooked Boquerones Fritos anywhere in the UK! If they make it tough for the likes of richy96 to live and work in Spain, then they'll lose out on his and fellow ex-pats onging contribution to the public purse. In that sense, they would indeed be shooting themselves in the foot; killing the goose that laid the golden egg etc.
Tim.

What are you views on the free movement of people, labour and businesses between UK and Spain?

There are other people who come here, besides Brits, from outside the EU. Not so many Saudis, perhaps, but, boy, are they loaded!

I'm afraid that the Spanish are the same as other folk. They want the money, so the UK will have to get that pound up, again, or they will find that pensions are not going to go as far as they used to.

6099-darktone-albums-general-4-picture4284-sansid.jpg

England is a special place, very important in Europe, I do not think English people disregard Europe but rightly they disregarded the European union.

We all want a great Europe, but needs to be based in improving social structures and better cohesion with the purpose also do grow economically but firstly to address the benefits to the most needed.

We all need to keep our identity and come together for better things.

Instead this European Union dominated by the Germans is only a business for a few.

Imagine, they want to impose the Italians to make mozzarella with the powder milk.....They are insane....

England is a special place, very important in Europe, I do not think English people disregard Europe but rightly they disregarded the European union.

We all want a great Europe, but needs to be based in improving social structures and better cohesion with the purpose also do grow economically but firstly to address the benefits to the most needed.

We all need to keep our identity and come together for better things.

Instead this European Union dominated by the Germans is only a business for a few.

Imagine, they want to impose the Italians to make mozzarella with the powder milk.....They are insane....

Everyone believes that his country is a special place. I did not think that the UK was so special when I left it in 1965. I'm British and proud of it. I wish you, all, well, but I am very proud to be living here with the Spanish, as well. They have been very good to me over the years.

You look after yourself, mate, and leave us to the Germans. British fried fish is mostly batter, these days, anyway. I can live without that.

Everyone believes that his country is a special place. I did not think that the UK was so special when I left it in 1965. I'm British and proud of it. I wish you, all, well, but I am very proud to be living here with the Spanish, as well. They have been very good to me over the years.

You look after yourself, mate, and leave us to the Germans. British fried fish is mostly batter, these days, anyway. I can live without that.

I was born in England (St.Albans) by Italian Immigrants, I was very little when I left for Italy.

I went back when I was 26 by myself, In Italy I lived mostly in the south close to Napoli, then as I young man in Firenze and Milano.

When I went back in London I loved it instantly, I was a bit wild then and the place just suited me, a lot was going on, Milano compared was just a parochial provincial little place.

Spain is a great place, people know how to live, went there once by myself to live for a month near Barcellona, Villafranca del Penedes. Had a great time. While I was there I do not remember going to bed before 6am.

Last edited: