Brexit and the Consequences

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the clarification.

As it happens, my comment about Spain is specific to that country as it reflects my knowledge about the the way it's administered, particularly in Andalucía where I've spent a lot of time over the last 15 years or so. If the Spanish make it difficult for Brits to travel and live there, (hopefully, they won't) then that will have a hugely damaging impact on the local economy. Everything from the housing market, restaurants and employment especially - which is already at dangerously high levels - will be hit hard. So, it's not a case of them needing us more than we need them - it's 50 / 50. We need their lifestyle; after all, one can't sit outside in the January sun overlooking the Med' eating a plate of freshly cooked Boquerones Fritos anywhere in the UK! If they make it tough for the likes of richy96 to live and work in Spain, then they'll lose out on his and fellow ex-pats onging contribution to the public purse. In that sense, they would indeed be shooting themselves in the foot; killing the goose that laid the golden egg etc.
Tim.
How much do you think the government gets from expats?

Without London England is not a special place nor it is important to the EU . And London will lose its privileges after brexit so basically UK is the one who shot itself in the foot .

Another weekly close at 1.22 .

Without London England is not a special place nor it is important to the EU . And London will lose its privileges after brexit so basically UK is the one who shot itself in the foot .

You can't beat a hard boiled egg. You tell 'em, Tar, but it won't get you anywhere!

London is sooo over rated though.

With the 20% fall in currency we'll be able to attract more tourists to places like Blackpool.

I'll hazard a guess Tar has never had a donkey ride on Blackpool beach... Here is a little something to wet your appetite.

donkeysG_468x696.jpg

I reckon we should move the capital to up North again. Quite fancy York my self.

Maybe we can call it the Noeu York :cheesy:

Last edited:
London is sooo over rated though.

With the 20% fall in currency we'll be able to attract more tourists to places like Blackpool.

I'll hazard a guess Tar has never had a donkey ride on Blackpool beach... Here is a little something to wet your appetite.

donkeysG_468x696.jpg

I reckon we should move the capital to up North again. Quite fancy York my self.

Maybe we can call it the Neu York :cheesy:

:-0:-0 London overrated !!!! To the dog pound with you Atilla, no coming back out until your mouth has been washed out with soap.

London is & always will be a massive hub of diversity, people will always come, it has all the right ingredients, something going on around every corner, it is not overrated at all.

I've worked in London 80% of my working life & I'm still not bored of it.

Ps I like the two hotties in the photo, not sure about the riders though !

Have you taken LSD ??

England is a tiny Island, yet it's Language is universal, it's history is far reaching across the entire globe, we buy more from the EU...........ahhh man I can't even be bothered to explain.....

....Only someone with a tiny mind (or issues) would make a comment like England is not a special place & not important to the EU

Have you taken LSD ??

England is a tiny Island, yet it's Language is universal, it's history is far reaching across the entire globe, we buy more from the EU...........ahhh man I can't even be bothered to explain.....

....Only someone with a tiny mind (or issues) would make a comment like England is not a special place & not important to the EU

Without London it isn't that's what I said . Nothing wrong with being just a tourism destination though .

Have you taken LSD ??

Very well said !:clap::clap::clap:

And England has given refuge to millions of people fleeing persecution and closed societies over the centuries and that is why we are such an ethnically rich, diverse and open nation. Many of those immigrants (not all of course) have enriched this country financially, socially, culturally and in so many ways.
i would rather live in this green and pleasant land than anywhere else I have ever visited and it will always be special to those of us born here and to so many decent people who have made this land their home - and who actually appreciate it. Whether living in London or not.

Without London it isn't that's what I said . Nothing wrong with being just a tourism destination though .

I agree with you Tar and my post similarly was tongue and cheek poking fun at the Northmen of England but seems to have gone horribly South with the wrong parties taking the bite. :LOL: Having said that I always prefer Newcastle to Blackpool mi self but I may be a lil biased.

NEWS FLASH :idea: Vote for Brexit is a vote against London. :idea: END of NEWS FLASH!

I thought that was obvious but apparently not. Hope those flash bulbs didn't take your Brexitting eyes out ;)

I'll let the City boys fight this one out with our Northern brethren and 'the' difficult lady..

(y)

Last edited:
I agree with you Tar and my post similarly was tongue and cheek poking fun at the Northmen of England but seems to have gone horribly South with the wrong parties taking the bite. :LOL: Having said that I always prefer Newcastle to Blackpool mi self but I may be a lil biased.

NEWS FLASH :idea: Vote for Brexit is a vote against London. :idea: END of NEWS FLASH!

I thought that was obvious but apparently not. Hope those flash bulbs didn't take your Brexitting eyes out ;)

I'll let the City boys fight this one out with our Northern brethren and 'the' difficult lady..

(y)

:idea:NEWSFLASH..........THE REMAINERS LOST THE VOTE :idea: hope those flashbulbs didn't take your remainers eyes out ;)

I thought that was obvious, but.....wait a minute, remainers eyes were already taken out !

Attention remoaners, it's Friday, chill

Oohhh Yeahaaa :)

http://app.musicradio.com/chill/on-air/player/

(y)

Another write up with a little more clarity and perspective coverage than what the Telegraph offers.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rexit-what-will-happen-to-the-british-capital

Interesting photo pic summary at the end.

"The majority of Britons who voted for Brexit were also protesting against London."

The recovery of the 2 million people London lost from 1939 to 1981 has been almost entirely due to immigration, a fact often glossed over, said Ian Gordon, professor emeritus of human geography at the London School of Economics. Even the extraordinary increase in the proportion of foreign-born Londoners -- from less than 5 percent in 1961 to 37 percent today -- understates the change and displacement involved because the growth in the birthrate was largely down to immigrants, he said.

The majority of Britons who voted for Brexit, said Gordon, were also protesting against London -- not as a place, but all it has come to stand for. London’s native, non-graduate population was left behind, unable to compete for well-paid jobs or housing in a city that seemed overtaken by the newcomers.

In a scornful tone that’s defining Britain at the moment, Prime Minister Theresa May recently had a name for London's citizens of the world: "citizens of nowhere."

Last edited:
Oohhh Yeahaaa :)

http://app.musicradio.com/chill/on-air/player/

(y)

Another write up with a little more clarity and perspective coverage than what the Telegraph offers.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rexit-what-will-happen-to-the-british-capital

Interesting photo pic summary at the end.

"The majority of Britons who voted for Brexit were also protesting against London."

The recovery of the 2 million people London lost from 1939 to 1981 has been almost entirely due to immigration, a fact often glossed over, said Ian Gordon, professor emeritus of human geography at the London School of Economics. Even the extraordinary increase in the proportion of foreign-born Londoners -- from less than 5 percent in 1961 to 37 percent today -- understates the change and displacement involved because the growth in the birthrate was largely down to immigrants, he said.

The majority of Britons who voted for Brexit, said Gordon, were also protesting against London -- not as a place, but all it has come to stand for. London’s native, non-graduate population was left behind, unable to compete for well-paid jobs or housing in a city that seemed overtaken by the newcomers.

In a scornful tone that’s defining Britain at the moment, Prime Minister Theresa May recently had a name for London's citizens of the world: "citizens of nowhere."

"The recovery of the 2 million people London lost from 1939 to 1981"

1956 the British Nationality Act allowed 800 million subjects in the British empire to immigrate. Economic migrants rose from 3000 per year in 1956 to 46,800 in 1956 and 136,400 in 1961. In 1962 the UK government passed an act to control migration requiring immigrants to have a job before they arrived. in the 1970s an average of 72,000 immigrants were settling in the UK every year from the commonwealth. There was also an influx of 20,00 Hungarians in 1956 following the Hungarian revolution.

Yes the professor is right that immigration has increased population. The problem is Atilla, you and Marc Champion of Bloomberg are tying to slice it as though EU migration is entirely responsible - why else would it be in context of an article titled "What Will Become of London After Brexit?"

The cherry on the cake though is this snippet from the professor that you have added as though it provides rich context to this deeply flawed perspective. here it is in case you missed it:

"The majority of Britons who voted for Brexit, said Gordon, were also protesting against London"

So how did the professor ask over 8.7 million leave voters why they voted? How else could anyone make a claim to knowing a reason behind the majority voting a specific way? let me tell you how

Attachments

• junckereu.jpg
    junckereu.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 90