Brexit and the Consequences

That's right, Scotland's referendum was not illegal. In fact, they had to get permission from parliament to hold it in the first place.

It doesn't much matter whether the Calalonian situation is legal or otherwise. Stopping them from having free will is the real issue. As we have seen numerous times, pissing people off and stopping them from doing what they want will not end well.

Dead right. Its hard to imagine the reaction of the Scots if police from the other UK nations suddenly arrived to stop them expressing their political opinions.

Attachments

• 777.PNG
    777.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 49
That's right, Scotland's referendum was not illegal. In fact, they had to get permission from parliament to hold it in the first place.

It doesn't much matter whether the Calalonian situation is legal or otherwise. Stopping them from having free will is the real issue. As we have seen numerous times, pissing people off and stopping them from doing what they want will not end well.

If it does not matter to you, it does to a lot of people.

However, that is another point. I will agree that the disagreement of millions of Catalans is a serious problem for Madrid and that the failure of today's ref will not make it go away.

The problem must be faced and resolved. Its one that has been festering for decades and, IMO, is Madrid's fault, over several governments and parties.

The serious corruption scandals in Catalan government,especially with Jordi Pujol--Catalan president for 23 years-- who was a fierce supporter of Catalan nationalism, makes one ponder the underlying reason for these people in wanting independence.

Brexit and the Catalan experience could be the start of a new trend to break up the huge blocks of different states.
Nationalism is like a political drug . It starts well but get worse usually.

Brexit and the Catalan experience could be the start of a new trend to break up the huge blocks of different states.

But isn't regional secession driven by the same thing?

Be careful. Brexit is not Cataluñan Independence. The last thing that Cataluña wants is a break with Brussels. But that is in the future.

Firstly, we must see what today will bring. Latest news--_38 being treated in hospitals. I went to the corner shop and back past a government office, normally used as a voting station at election time. Far more people there, this time, than at the elections. Whether the police were stopping them, I don't know. Everything peaceful, though, but nowhere near the city centre.

Last edited:
Be careful. Brexit is not Cataluñan Independence. The last thing that Cataluña wants is a break with Brussels. But that is in the future.

Firstly, we must see what today will bring. Latest news--_38 being treated in hospitals. I went to the corner shop and back past a government office, normally used as a voting station at election time. Far more people there, this time, than at the elections. Whether the police were stopping tzhem, I don't know. Everything peaceful, though, but nowhere near the city centre.

Might be peaceful in some parts but not all. I've seen footage of police storming buildings, dragging protesters in the street. There's even mention of rubber bullets being used.

Might be peaceful in some parts but not all. I've seen footage of police storming buildings, dragging protesters in the street. There's even mention of rubber bullets being used.

I'm not surprised. Anything could happen. A lot of minority radicals have been coming from all corners, even France and Germany, just like the football matches.

A day for ancients, like us, to get indoors and stay there, until it's over. :D

It always surprises me that the young think violence will do any good.

I am wondering why the Spanish government decided to try to suppress what is effectively just an opinion poll. Did they think stopping the poll would change people's opinions?

I am wondering why the Spanish government decided to try to suppress what is effectively just an opinion poll. Did they think stopping the poll would change people's opinions?

Seeing as it was an "illegal" poll and without constitutional foundation I wondered that also. Much easier to just ignore it and less expensive in all respects than using police and rubber bullets etc.

The important thing in all of this is the Catalans' opinions - if a large majority want independence then they will eventually get it. Unless ......... the authorities really want (another) civil war? It looks to me like the National Government is seriously worried.

Spanish authorities should have acted much sooner.

It is an incitement for disruption and rule of law. Groups of people independently having selective and restricted referendum's with leaders promising people stuff they can't have.

Spain is made up of 7 regions and what's next Basque nationalism?

Last edited:
Sorry Pat.....it all looked pretty peaceful until the batons came out! State violence, not protester violence.

I disagree. The cops aren't going to stand there and get thumped!You may think that there is no protester violence but I'm pretty sure that that was not the case.

In any case, I think that this Sunday will finish as a damp squib.

Let me make my case clear. This has boiled over from Central Government ineptness.

The Catalans, right or wrong, have never been given an audience. The
referendum has failed but the problem is, now, a big political issue and about time.

However, what is going on today is not legal. Neither is it fair to those who are complying with the law. Would you believe that the Independistas only want one million voters to declare independence.!? Move over, Boris, there's a new kid on the block! :D

How democratic is that?

It is not an ordinary opinion poll. It is a move on the part of the Catalan goverment to justify an illegal act. It cannot be permitted, otherwise all the other autonomies
would start wanting them, if not for independence, then for the price of bread. It sets a precedent. There have been referendums before that were permitted. The wording of the question in this one is different and dangerous to the state.

I disagree. The cops aren't going to stand there and get thumped!You may think that there is no protester violence but I'm pretty sure that that was not the case.

In any case, I think that this Sunday will finish as a damp squib.

Let me make my case clear. This has boiled over from Central Government ineptness.

The Catalans, right or wrong, have never been given an audience. The
referendum has failed but the problem is, now, a big political issue and about time.

However, what is going on today is not legal. Neither is it fair to those who are complying with the law. Would you believe that the Independistas only want one million voters to declare independence.!? Move over, Boris, there's a new kid on the block! :D

How democratic is that?

Looks pretty one sided to me.
Disgraceful behaviour.

Last edited:
Boxes taken to a secret location for counting. :whistling
Wonder who's counting and who's observing?

Splitlink, I always understood Spain to be 7 main regions but divided into 17 autonomous areas.