Brexit and the Consequences

So is this Madrid cracking down, or are they taking direction from the EU leadership?
Hi c_v,
I doubt it's a result of EU intervention.

As you know, the U.K. leaving the EU will result in a big hole in EU finances which means that the net contributors will have to contribute a whole lot more and/or the net beneficiaries will receive a whole lot less. That's why Barnier and Juncker et al are cacking themselves and on the offensive in the Brexit negotiations. Catalonia (and Barcelona in particular) are major contributors to Spain's finances which is why the central government don't want them to have independence. And that's why Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy et al are cacking themselves and doing whatever they can to prevent a referendum from taking place.

IMO, the best result would be to let the referendum go ahead and put forward a strong case to the Catalan people as to why independence wouldn't be in anyone's best interest and then hope and pray that they vote against it. However, I dare say they've considered that and, based on what happened here in the U.K. last year - decided they daren't risk it. On that basis, sadly, I'm inclined to agree with Split's rather negative assessment.
Tim.

Last edited:
So is this Madrid cracking down, or are they taking direction from the EU leadership?

I have to go out. I'll get to Spain, later. :D

But, no, this is Madrid. Unlike England and Scotland, Spain has a written Constitutiuon, signed after the Franco era, some 40 years ago.

In a nutshell, Madrid says that Catalan referendum is illegal and will not dicuss it any further.

Hi c_v,
I doubt it's a result of EU intervention.

As you know, the U.K. leaving the EU will result in a a big hole in EU finances which means that the net contributors will have to contribute a whole lot more and/or the net beneficiaries will receive a whole lot less. That's why Barnier and Juncker et al are cacking themselves and on the offensive in the Brexit negotiations. Catalonia (and Barcelona in particular) are major contributors to Spain's finances which is why the central government don't want them to have independence. And that's why Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy et al are cacking themselves and doing whatever they can to prevent a referendum from taking place.

IMO, the best result would be to let the referendum go ahead and put forward a strong case to the Catalan people as to why independence wouldn't be in anyone's best interest and then hope and pray that they vote against it. However, I dare say they've considered that and, based on what happened here in the U.K. last year - decided they daren't risk it. On that basis, sadly, I'm inclined to agree with Split's rather negative assessment.
Tim.

In another nutshell, Puigdemont reckons to make Cataluña independent two days after the referendum., leaving no time for talking.

I have to go out. I'll get to Spain, later. :D

But, no, this is Madrid. Unlike England and Scotland, Spain has a written Constitutiuon, signed after the Franco era, some 40 years ago.

In a nutshell, Madrid says that Catalan referendum is illegal and will not dicuss it any further.

I go along with the notion that no part of a sovereign state may be allowed to elect to leave it. The state however must retain the right to expel a region or province if it wishes or if the totality of citizens so decide.

57 so far

What's going on here then...a bit of govt suppression perhaps. That won't end well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41331152

Projecting your numbers, which are slowing by the way but as you are not very good with numbers, at simple average of 30 per day, you have 9 years to go before your proposition gets a look in!

Keep taking those vitamin tablets. You're going to need them. ;)

Projecting your numbers, which are slowing by the way but as you are not very good with numbers, at simple average of 30 per day, you have 9 years to go before your proposition gets a look in!

That's okay then - should just about coincide with the end of the transitional period as envisaged by some of the Remainers!

Early days tiger and far from slowing me old fruit, they are speeding up.

Now I know maths is not your strong point but start of yesterday we were at 40ish signatures and now we are at 140. (y)

If I had some help with getting the word out, then I expect momentum would kick in and send us to the moon.

If anyone has some workable strategies, then please post and lets get cracking.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200606

Early days tiger and far from slowing me old fruit, they are speeding up.

Now I know maths is not your strong point but start of yesterday we were at 40ish signatures and now we are at 140. (y)

If I had some help with getting the word out, then I expect momentum would kick in and send us to the moon.

If anyone has some workable strategies, then please post and lets get cracking.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200606

50/50
Ask the audiance
phone your friend Nigey boy on LBC

Comon Sparky - you can do better! :)

here ya go sport :LOL:

Attachments

• 0045-The-Upside-Down-Under-2.jpg
    0045-The-Upside-Down-Under-2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 118
. . .If anyone has some workable strategies, then please post and lets get cracking.
c_v - your petition needs publicity and for that I suspect you need a social media marketing expert. Find one who's in favour of Brexit and you're away!

In the meantime, how about bringing it to the attention Laura Kuenssberg and her colleagues at the BBC - letting them know that mentioning the petition in their reports presents them with the perfect opportunity to redress the balance and quash the accusation that the institution is pro-remain and anything but impartial. I imagine this is quite doable for those of you who use Twitter and Facebook etc. Needless to say, I don't!
Tim.

German election...Merkel holds on as AfD make massive inroads.

EU needs to wake up soon or it's all over for the project.

The odious Nick Clegg says we can rejoin Europe because the old people will soon be dead.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/45344...-vote-can-be-reversed-in-a-second-referendum/

A disgusting comment from one of the failed Metropolitan Elite. The very same politician who pledged not to treble tuition fees, did so and now thinks the young are financially disadvantaged! :rolleyes:

If he is representative of the Brussels Politburo then thank God we're (hopefully) leaving.

Last edited:
The odious Nick Clegg says we can rejoin Europe because the old people will soon be dead.
The key point that the 'bitter' remainers like Nick Clegg overlook when they voice this argument is that the old (soon to be ex!) Brexiteers were all young once and that many of them voted in favour of joining the Common Market at the first referendum. They are making a massive - and in my view rather silly assumption - that today's naive and inexperienced yoof will remain forever thus. They overlook the fact that as the young get older and (hopefully) wiser, many of them will see the light and change their minds. Just waiting for us silly ol' farts to die out isn't the answer!
Tim.

Last edited:
All you Brexiters with how you going to make special deals with all the big hitters around the world sit up and read this article carefully.

Moreover, this article relates to a country where we have a SPECIAL hand holding relationship. Absolutely tragic if not so freaky serious. :(

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...its-bitterly-disappointed-may-in-lots-of-ways

It’s no wonder Theresa May says she’s “bitterly disappointed” by the U.S. Commerce Department’s decision to impose punitive import duties on Bombardier Inc.’s new jetliner. It hurts the U.K. prime minister in several ways at once.

First, it’s a blow to a big employer: More than 4,000 work for the company in Belfast, Northern Ireland, where the plane’s wings are built.

Second, Northern Ireland is a sensitive area for British politics: It is only because May’s Conservatives have the support of 10 lawmakers from the region that she’s able to govern.

Third, it’s a personal embarrassment: After spending political capital at home to try to build a close relationship with Donald Trump, she raised the issue with him both by phone and in person, with no obvious result.

The opposition Labour Party, while offering support to the government’s position that the U.S. ruling is wrong, was quick to point out that the news doesn’t bode well for the proposed free-trade deal with the U.S. that Trump and May have both made much of.

Ineptitude of this Tory government along with Brex****ters knows no bounds.

Corbyn is right when he says Politicians more concerned about their careers and power seats then the country.

Once you've read all that read how much help the Boeing Corp gets from US handouts.

1. Boeing — $13.18 Billion
Boeing

Source: Thinkstock

The top welfare recipient of them all is aerospace giant Boeing, which has operations spread all across the country building aircraft and working on numerous Department of Defense projects. The amount of work Boeing does for the federal government no doubt plays a part in the amount of subsidies the company has been able to secure, but Boeing has also played hardball with local jurisdictions to get enormous tax breaks. With more than $13 billion coming in from 148 handouts, Boeing has thoroughly entrenched itself in the interest of the government and taxpayers.

Despite the immense amount of money the company receives, it has still gone on to hold cities hostage in tax negotiations, threatening to remove jobs and open up shop in friendlier climates. In 2013, Boeing secured the highest ever tax break at the state level when it cornered the Washington legislature into ceding to its demands, lest it move its production plants to another part of the country. The legislature granted Boeing its wish, but Boeing went on to announce drastic layoffs anyway, angering many locals.

Boeing has become the king of corporate handouts, and other corporations have a long way to go to catch up.

(n)

Its my belief now there is no overwhelming reason to be in or out of the EU. Both have pros and cons, but neither means much change for the man in the street. Isn't all this brexit debate just a way for politicians to score points against each other?

Its my belief now there is no overwhelming reason to be in or out of the EU. Both have pros and cons, but neither means much change for the man in the street. Isn't all this brexit debate just a way for politicians to score points against each other?

Quite the contrary. Nothing else is more likely to impact the strategic direction of the UK for good many years to come impacting real jobs and real living standards.

How does your comment reflect on the 4000 jobs supported by Bombardier? They are not politicians are they?

Sadly, the decline of the British Empire and Industry is based on fools resting on their past laurels.

As the saying goes, past performance is no indication of future returns.

I fear if Brexit fiasco deteriorates, hard times will ensue and Labour will get in to power. Whilst I support their policies the greed spectrometer will swing from fat cats to fat union bosses. I don't mind that either, better to have many fat trade unions than few fat bosses.

I dunno, maybe it'll be a good thing with wages rising, inflation falling and houses becoming more affordable. All this obviously makes good sense in some peeps worldly views. :whistling

Much tosh of course each to his own.