Xmas drink meet up

I think it's us ex 1980's Two Tone Ska Music loving Rude Boys with these assumptions as the song "GhostTown" by The Specials was written about Coventy I beleive! :cool:

Hands up who used to go to school in a Black Stay Press trousers, white Fred Perry Polo Shirt, Black Harrington Jacket with Tarten lining, white socks with the red and blue top banding and black brogues of Loafer shoes, sometimes Doc Martin Shoes.

And when they cracked down on Fred Perry shirts you got white shirts with button down collers, Gold plated Tie Pin anbd Tied the school tie with the thin end showing and the wide end tucked inside (reverse as such).

Oh.... and a Crew Cut haircut, No 4 top , No 2 Sides, Not quite as scary as a Skin head (No 1 all over) but similar rebel effect.

Happy Memories School in the Early / Mid Eighties.

err yeah. In fact around 1986 I was 20, long since out of school, I had No.1 sides and flat top, button down collars, black jeans, doc marten shoes (never boots), with a 2nd hand old gents mac from Sue Ryder shop..bunnymen look, or the pale fountains.

Sometimes to get in more mainstream clubs, it would be black shoes, white socks, black trousers, white shirt, black skinny tie. Me and my mates got on 'Hitman and her' at Mr. Smiths in Warrington. My mate taped and we watched it when we got in. Sad..

Birmingham, i will do my best, not been there since I used to wear above said get ups! :D

I haven't been to Birmingham in about 20 years so have no idea which pubs are the good ones.

So can somebody with local knowledge suggest a suitable pub in Birmingham please. Would be good to get this meet organised! :)

Hi all,

Defo count me in on this (subject to date), I live in Brum so have some local knowledge. I would suggest that meeting in a normal bar on Broad Street might be quite tricky as they get busy, finding each other might be problem, unless we wear the 'I love RH' tshirts :)
Goldfingers idea of hiring a function room or something could work depending on how many people want to do this and the cost invovled. All Bar One in Brindley Place has got a decent upstairs area we could use, alternatively we could just ask one of the bars/pubs to section off an area for us, lots of options really

Rob

Me and my mates got on 'Hitman and her' at Mr. Smiths in Warrington. My mate taped and we watched it when we got in. Sad..

i ended up on ayai napa uncovered about 10 years ago, i was briefly famous the next night in my home town of Harrow.

ha, i do still love a good rave. i still want to go back to ibiza, don't think i could do 2 weeks like i did 12 years ago. 4 or 5 days maybe.

Hi all,

Defo count me in on this (subject to date), I live in Brum so have some local knowledge. I would suggest that meeting in a normal bar on Broad Street might be quite tricky as they get busy, finding each other might be problem, unless we wear the 'I love RH' tshirts :)
Goldfingers idea of hiring a function room or something could work depending on how many people want to do this and the cost invovled. All Bar One in Brindley Place has got a decent upstairs area we could use, alternatively we could just ask one of the bars/pubs to section off an area for us, lots of options really

Rob

I don't know what the situation in Brum is, but certainly many pubs "down south" will hire you the function room for free if they think you're gonna be spending enough at the bar LOL! Just tell them it's for a birthday and you should be able to get a pretty good deal.

Even if they do charge, it will probably only be about £100 I suspect, so even if there are only 10 of us it shouldn't be too hard to get the money together. Hopefully we'll get many more than 10 attending.

Reserving a section of a bar or pub is of course another option if a function room is not viable or if there are less than 10 of us, but I'd like to avoid that approach if possible.

I think the more notice we give people the more interest we're likely to get, so I'm looking at dates in April / May. I think with it being in Birmingham it needs to be a weekend to ensure enough people can make it. A Friday night is another possibility.

Ideally we need people to start committing to a meet so that we can get a pretty good idea of numbers and potential budget. So I've set up a quick survey so we can at least get a rough idea of the level of interest:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZNWCB6L

Hotel bars tend to be spacious and easy enough to get a suitable area in. Haven't been to brummyland since Uni days so no idea what's good there now.

I don't know what the situation in Brum is, but certainly many pubs "down south" will hire you the function room for free if they think you're gonna be spending enough at the bar LOL! Just tell them it's for a birthday and you should be able to get a pretty good deal.

Even if they do charge, it will probably only be about £100 I suspect, so even if there are only 10 of us it shouldn't be too hard to get the money together. Hopefully we'll get many more than 10 attending.

Reserving a section of a bar or pub is of course another option if a function room is not viable or if there are less than 10 of us, but I'd like to avoid that approach if possible.

I think the more notice we give people the more interest we're likely to get, so I'm looking at dates in April / May. I think with it being in Birmingham it needs to be a weekend to ensure enough people can make it. A Friday night is another possibility.

Ideally we need people to start committing to a meet so that we can get a pretty good idea of numbers and potential budget. So I've set up a quick survey so we can at least get a rough idea of the level of interest:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZNWCB6L

Having thought about it youre right, somewhere is bound to give us a function room for free, or at least on the cheap. Suferking could be onto something, for those traveling from further away and need to stop in a hotel, the hotel might give us somewhere....another possibility.

One of the hotels at the NEC ? Great links to M42, train, airport. There's a Hilton, holiday inn, crown plaza and a couple of others I think

i'm up for it - i like the idea of a central holiday inn, makes sense for me as I need to travel.
i would suggest friday evening, meet for 6pm (this means for me personally, i only need to take the friday afternoon off work) have a snack and a beer ready for the official meet at 6:30 to 8ish
Then out for a curry.

i think we'd cover a lot more ground if we have an agenda to work to.
possibly:

introductions

net trap and its various forms

EA trading

other topics

obviously we'd need volunteers from this forum to present
friday the 4th march suits me, i am flexible though and quite happy to go with the flow. i would like to see something booked so people can commit to a date.

How many people have replied to the survey? Do we have enough to make it a go-er?
G

I just did it and only 4 people (I am assuming that I was included in that number) have said yes. A back room of a pub would suffice for that many people.

Neil

I just did it and only 4 people (I am assuming that I was included in that number) have said yes. A back room of a pub would suffice for that many people.

Neil

:) Plenty of those in Brum Neil, I think more than 4 people on this thread have said they're in

i've just done it (the survey :)), so we are now 5. i see it's in april - that's fine by me. is there anyone out there (a brummy maybe) who is gonna take the initiative on this?
quinny