S&P500 - Weekly Forecasting Competition for 2023

Working on the results so far, will be published before end of day, then once a week. Thanks for your patience!

Just to confirm on the scoring, my understanding is:

STEP 1
- If you pick the right directon then you get 1 point
- If you pick the wrong direction you get -1 points
- If you pick the same close as previous week (the world explodes?!)

STEP 2
- If you picked the right direction then the entry closest gets gold (3 points), next closest gets silver (2 points) and third closest gets bronze (1 point)
- note if you picked the wrong direction you can't get a medal and the extra points, even if you're prediction is closer than any of the medalists

Just to confirm on the scoring, my understanding is:

STEP 1
- If you pick the right directon then you get 1 point
- If you pick the wrong direction you get -1 points
- If you pick the same close as previous week (the world explodes?!)

STEP 2
- If you picked the right direction then the entry closest gets gold (3 points), next closest gets silver (2 points) and third closest gets bronze (1 point)
- note if you picked the wrong direction you can't get a medal and the extra points, even if you're prediction is closer than any of the medalists
Step 1:
If the market has the same close as last week including all digits after the decimal point, then I would say 1 point for everybody so there is no need to change the rules for step 2.
What is picked is compared only with the weekly market close, not any pick before.

Step 2:
Correct. Only the distance counts for rank 1-3.
And no points if the direction of Step 1 was wrong.

Working on the results so far, will be published before end of day, then once a week. Thanks for your patience!
Thanks for the confirmation. I've got all the entries, weekly closes plugged in - I've just got to finish calculating the averages before I can determine who wins the medals and get those points. I'll publish it all tomorrow, no ifs or buts!

Here is the leaderboard so far for Q2, 2023:
  1. BigDeal (13 pts)
  2. counter_violet (12 pts)
  3. lexcorp (5 pts)
  4. {simple average} (4 points)
  5. IlIlIlIlI (2 points)
  6. Atila (-1 point)
  7. Oscar Reed (-3 points)
Please note I've removed the weighted average, whilst I like the idea, I found it too time consuming to calculate for multiple weeks, so in the spirit of KISS I'll stick with just the simple average for now, at least whilst we continue to use a manual excel spreadsheet to manage it all.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.14.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.14.48.png
    400.1 KB · Views: 25
Here is the leaderboard so far for Q2, 2023:
  1. BigDeal (13 pts)
  2. counter_violet (12 pts)
  3. lexcorp (5 pts)
  4. {simple average} (4 points)
  5. IlIlIlIlI (2 points)
  6. Atila (-1 point)
  7. Oscar Reed (-3 points)
Please note I've removed the weighted average, whilst I like the idea, I found it too time consuming to calculate for multiple weeks, so in the spirit of KISS I'll stick with just the simple average for now, at least whilst we continue to use a manual excel spreadsheet to manage it all.
I just wonder why there is no forecast difference and direction shown for me and lexcorp.
Ist that really correct?

Yes, those numbers don't change any of the points or medals calculations, they're a hangover from Atila's original spreadsheet, as I've simplified things a bit, but here's the corrected version...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.31.09.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.31.09.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 24
Let me know if the removal of the weighted average is a deal breaker. The problem I found is the weightings are cumulative over time, so every week they need to be recalculated and then applied, I'm not an excel pro so the formulas were starting to get a bit convoluted esp as you need to process everything weekly, I just didn't think it was worth the effort when a simple average gives a good ballpark.