S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2014 with PRIZES!

Got any spare dollars, pounds, rubles etc. then read this for 2015.

For months, I have been yelling from the rooftops that UK pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline (LSE: GSK)(NYSE: GSK.US) is going cheap, at least by its pricey standards.

Early last month it was still trading at just over 12 times earnings, well below the 15 or 16 times it normally stands at. I reckoned a company of this quality was unlikely to stay cheap for long, and the recovery has already begun. At 1501p, the share price is up 13% since its mid-October lows. Today, it trades at 13.6 times earnings.

So Glaxo is still relatively cheap. If I was buying just one stock for 2015 and beyond, here’s why it would be my choice.

GlaxoSmithKline plc (LON: GSK) is ending 2014 on a high and looks set fair for 2015, says Harvey Jones

The Glaxo share price was hammered for a reason. And it wasn’t just those unseemly Chinese bribery allegations (which may still draw crunching penalties from investigators in the US and UK).

Pharmaceutical and vaccination sales in the US have fallen sharply, down 10% in Q3 to $1.27bn, and the blame has largely fallen on Glaxo’s “patients first” programme, which was designed to sever the controversial link between bonuses and sales targets.

But there are questions over whether Glaxo’s sales teams have bought into the new system, which rewards staff for their scientific knowledge rather than their ability to drive prescription growth.

Worryingly, Glaxo is looking to expand the new incentive model across its global business next year, albeit with tweaks.

Glory Days

Glaxo has responded to sales slippage in the time-honoured way, with job cuts and a £1 billion restructuring programme, and is hoping two new lung treatments will compensate for falling US sales of inhaler Advair.

It has won some glory with “encouraging” early trials of its Ebola vaccine. And chief executive Sir Andrew Witty made waves with his announcement that Glaxo is looking to float the £15bn ViiV Healthcare businesses set up with Pfizer five years ago, with the proceeds likely to be passed to shareholders through extraordinary share buybacks.

Glaxo continues to post a strong performance in emerging markets, where populations are ageing and falling ill, as in the West. That’s now a key long-term reason to buy, especially as it seems to be forgiven in China.

Earnings per share are set to grow only a modest 1% in 2015, but that’s an improvement on this year’s 18% drop.

The very best reason to buy Glaxo is its 5.2% yield. Even if its troubles continue into 2015, you can re-invest that for long-term growth while the share price recovery continues.

Slight flaw in all these calcs dear Pat, is ebola is not very widespread and is contained to persons with not much disposable income. Perhaps Nigerians.

If you are not careful one may start a conspiracy to spread some profits Glaxo's way??? :devilish:

Slight flaw in all these calcs dear Pat, is ebola is not very widespread and is contained to persons with not much disposable income. Perhaps Nigerians.

If you are not careful one may start a conspiracy to spread some profits Glaxo's way??? :devilish:

The article was copied from msn, ebola stats and all. The jungle getting it's own back maybe ?
I agree GSK is a great company to invest in for the longer term

Well done to VielGeld who gets his third gold medal this quarter winning week 49 forecast. :clap::clap::clap:

12WBT takes silver and Lexcorp bronze. Well done. (y)

Top cheeses this week are;

VielGeld
................................12WBT..........................................................................LexCorp

3-cheeses-cheedar-pepper-jack-mozzarella.jpg

Three weeks to go and league table sorted in order of overall running total points due prizes...

Last edited:
Yay I get gold.

I really don't expect any sort of pullback going into the holidays, but I'm not expecting more than 2100 either.

2091 for next week please, monsieur.

Well done to VielGeld who gets his third gold medal this quarter winning week 49 forecast. :clap::clap::clap:

12WBT takes silver and Lexcorp bronze. Well done. (y)

Top cheeses this week are;

VielGeld
................................12WBT..........................................................................LexCorp

3-cheeses-cheedar-pepper-jack-mozzarella.jpg

Three weeks to go and league table sorted in order of overall running total points due prizes...

Checking the scores on the door, think I was 8th .:LOL:

Did the six in front of me fail the drug tests.:LOL:

Or maybe you had drinks with dentist007 at the weekend.

Checking the scores on the door, think I was 8th .:LOL:

Did the six in front of me fail the drug tests.:LOL:

Or maybe you had drinks with dentist007 at the weekend.

Did I get something wrong on the scores? Don't see what you mean re: 8th and six in front etc...

Please let me know perhaps with a bigger pointer to the errors of my way :)

I must remember to post my prediction, I must remember to post my prediction...
1285 for me please.

Phew! :)

I must remember to post my prediction, I must remember to post my prediction...
1285 for me please.

Phew! :)

I thought my cell formula was playing up indicating a down forecast!

1285???

Must remember to take medication. Must remember to take medication. :cheesy:

Last edited:
Did I get something wrong on the scores? Don't see what you mean re: 8th and six in front etc...

Please let me know perhaps with a bigger pointer to the errors of my way :)

Hi Attila, I think i think I may have the red Leicester instead and while I am at it can I have 2087 pl

Geez is he expecting ET or WW3 ?

I'm sure it's a typo, meaning 2085 but don't know if he'll visit thread again before market opens???

I've taken the liberty of entering 2085 otherwise Gaffs will stitch up the averages and we don't want to do that... :cool: