FTSE 100 intraday trading - JULY 2003

How long did it take you to 'learn' about Elliot Waves,Bonsai?Is it worth my while looking into it (i.e One good book and I'd have the basics)?

Hi everyone

Can anyone explain the spike on the futures this morning? Luckily I got out just before then, otherwise my stop would have been hit for a smaller profit. A few days ago there were similar spikes in the morning. Is it just market makers playing games?

jonnyy
one good book and you will have the basics.
"The elliott wave principle " by Frost and Prechter.

I chart the cash and trade the futures.
so the futures are only really relevant to me when I am
about to trade.

support has been good throughout this week. anyone using the low of the day, waited for confirmation and exited on a trendline breach would have cleaned up quite nicely this week. you still had to be wary of the US open as all this week as it has caused the ftse to drop dramatically, similar to last week.

in my view the high for today will be no more than 4125 for the futures. at the moment it has run out of steam.

have to go out for a while shortly and as
I was offered 36 at 39 so I have taken that for +28

Reactor

I get my data from MyTrack. At that moment I was not looking at the prices from Easy2trade so I don't know for sure whether my stop would have been hit if I was still in that trade.

I 'suspect' there is more to come.
and dont tell the guys on the dow thread but the ftse is VERY often a leading indicator for the DOW.
lol

Bonsai
lol - I totally agree with you (but not sure I would ever dare say so out loud!)

waytogo

for 9:58 open was 4112, high was 4112.5, low was 4110 and close was 4110.5. definitely not a spike.

I've just got here, on IRD there's a spike at 9.58 -

O - 4113
H - 4113
L - 4090
C - 4111

Bonsai, re. advfn -

I used to lurk on there and use them for data, got fed up with their awful charts which collapsed all day, as well as their inflexible pricing policy.

I had a long email discussion with Clem telling him that they needed a mid-range index package leaving out level 2, and an option to just take futures, without level 2. He basically agreed, said he'd look at it for the next pricing review and ignored it, so I ignored them after that.

I think some of the traders on there would be better off on here, more diverse opinions on the real detail of index trading, but that's not my business. I suppose it's great if you trade shares.

Isn't this a goose, meaning big retracement, then big rise? Of all the trading set ups I've ever looked at, the goose is the one that I never seem to understand in real time.

Ghost dog
had a look for your handle but couldnt find it
so I guess you used a different name ?
I am on the pbb but dont use many of their facilities..
streaming is still a joke.

I havent classified this as a goose.
I trade it when I see a gap with the trend and a very short term
pull back (while the big boys think about the new level) and then a rapid rise.
I think they thought about this one a bit too long for that.
But it may be worth printing out a few and then studying the
different types of runaway moves ?

looks like we are moving up again already !
is this hot or what !

I have just spoken to Easy2trade about that data spike (such nice, helpful people there) and the guy said it was most likely a high volume trade that did not go through the exchange (so would not have affected direct access trades through E2T, IB, etc) but which nevertheless appeared on the chart.

Hello every one,
You don't Know me, Im a Newbie trying to Trade the FT100 Future using "Tenfore Graphs and I.B. Quotes"

When I say newbie Ive been with "Sucden.co.uk" for about five years trying to educate myself and paying £10 a turn on the future, its a relief to be with I. B.

During the last five years all I've managed to do is repair the damage I did to my account in the first two weeks of trading the future by buying and selling options, still, "softly softly catchee Monkey" eh?. Anyway this last two weeks I have been reading your post and have learn't a lot, I think. I would like to thank you all and keep up the good work!

Over the last two weeeks I'm a couple of hundred down but I'll get it right eventually, if I can stop my hand shaking when I've pressed those Keys.

Thanks again, Ian, (taxi)

Bonsai -

yes, I used to lurk, and learn. Learnt more here though.

I'm going to have to look at the goose in detail, because looking at the 5-minute, if I'd been here this morning I'd probably have ignored the obvious futures bounce, thinking it was a failed goose. Then became a failed, failed goose!

Got to go out again, bit sick, big moves today. Futures looks as if they might have taken out the stops with that spike? Not sure what's happening now.

I'm gone, good luck.

welcome taxi

hope things improve for you now but you
must try and work out why things went badly ?

I have a few samurai rules if they will help

1- Develop a system to believe in.
2-Trust the system
3-Discipline yourself to follow the rules
4-Trade without fear.
5- Follow the market not the money.

One for each finger ?
makes it easy to remember.

lol

break a leg