FTSE 100 intraday trading - JULY 2003

No position at the mo.
Waiting for the Dow to make up it's mind. Seems a little edgey out there. Or maybe that's just me.

thanks cguesty

well we cant wait for the dow, otherwise we might wait forever ?

anyway we have had the bounce and I am long at 13
half expecting a test of this mornings gap that didnt get filled yet.

Bonsai,
I usually use EW to determine where we're going and to be honest with you I'm not too happy about the counts. NDX and compx new highs. Dow looking choppy and FTSE correction has gone past 0.618 (only by a small amount admitteldy).

I think there's a little more upside before we resume a new downtrend, but I think it's limited. So, I'm happy sitting on the sidelines.

Plus I've got some new books to read.

cguesty
sitting on the sidelines is taking a position and may very well be the right one.

its not uncommon after a strong day for the market to try and whipsaw all the late comers.

As my macd is pointing down, both trades this morning
where counter to my trading trend.
the first was just a case of catching the sb at his own game
but the second was based on market action.

which I think, emphasises my post the other day, that indicators
are only useful when they confirm market action. otherwise they
are worse than useless. (John Piper)

Pipers book seems to be available at Global Investor. I checked through Yahoo Finance and searched for "Piper". £21.24.

If you're fed up with waiting for the FTSE have a look at the CAC. Been very tradeable today between S/R of 3175 / 3190 :)

thanks for that oldun
at least the french trade reasonable hours !
lol

Ftse
my best guess is we are now in a c leg of an abc.
'a' leg was about 30 pts so 'c' may bottom around 090 ?
if its any worse than that then something else is happening ?

the day looked good for me until the US opened! +10.5 it's good for my first trade since i got hit big last week. hopefully i will find some more opportunities tomorrow.

i've attached the execution statement.

i hope no one was caught out too bad with the US opening!

Attachments

• doc1.doc
    54 KB · Views: 215
thanks skimbleshanks! i hope your trading is going well!

cheers bonsai! after yesterdays incredible rally and todays retracement after hitting the high, it does look topped out. i have a trend line from 11/7/03, which has been breached, and looks like the market is going to go sideways. if there is further good economic news out this week it could push up further, but the huge retracement when the US opened today is putting big doubts in my mind about a further advancement.

boy, the big hit was when i made huge losses on two trades last week adding to 49 points.

Bonsai,

Be interested to see your winners/losers chart this evening
since ftse 12 was very weak (4W, 5L, 1 even with some heavy losers AZN -3.9%, GSK - 3%, both BP & SHLL - over 1.5%). Any closing divergence would be interesting.

A good day for candlestick indicators on Yahoo chart (although might be to do with the odd interval they use) with a nice shooting star getting you out of longs some 10 minutes before DOW opened.

Hope everyone had a good day, I was playing golf - it weren't 'arf 'ot mum!!

good trading

jon

I'll post it as soon as I can
it looks bullish all day.
which is one reason I thought (think) the double top might fail.

ugh ! Not the best of days ?
Ftse didnt know where to go today.
We are now faced with a potential double top and
a really good snake trade which might be worth holding open for
an hour or so to see how things develop.
But the internals were looking better as the day pogressed.
So the fall may just be an attempt to shake out some weak bulls.
As always, the choice is ours.

(The MACD was simply unwinding an overbought position from
yesterday but nevertheless gave a nice divergence confirmation
to the snake)

Attachments

• jul15.gif
    jul15.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Bonsai,

Thought W/L might look a bit like that in view of heavy weakness in ftse 12 (my previous post). I'll feel a bit more comfortable on the long side in the morning (always assuming DOW behaves), but the story will unfold.

good trading

jon

mmm, belay that.

Got a preponderance of weak candlestick signals outside ftse12 which means I won't feel particularly comfortable either way to start with. Just have to wait and see.

good trading

jon