Brexit and the Consequences

Signalcalc

Veteren member
4,665 1,029
Well, where do I start. On the basis of my friendship with a reasonably high level French bureaucrat I understand that the “lock down” approach adopted by EU countries was the approach promulgated by EU in their early advice. Clearly, it could only be advice since they cannot act directly in any member state. Their early initiative for the centrally co-ordinated effort to get the necessary equipment etc (beyond me why we refused to join this initiative ) is another example of action somewhat faster than the lumbering sloth you would have us believe.

Why you should be very confident that many countries will question the value of remaining part of the EU can only be a Tim belief rather than any evidence based conclusion. Just because they were squabbling over budget contributions (who doesn’t squabble over budgets!!) doesn’t cut it. It maybe that they will recognise that pulling together supported by central initiatives (including €150 billion already set aside and €720 billion quantative easing) is the best way forward.
Albania looks set to embark on it's own tinpot military dictatorship, with full on lockdown lead by Soros and B-Liar.

Having said that, now we have snap checkpoints, it's not going to be much longer before we are there too, probably also lead by Soros and B-Liar with a dose of Gordon 'who the fuck is Alice' Brown thrown in for good measure.

Atilla

Legendary member
19,385 2,841
Brexiteers fleet around between the EU being dictatorial to not being there to provide leadership.

Countries can manage their own affairs and have their own parliaments.

That's the problem with the Brexiteers position WAH WHA WHA WHA YAP YAP YAP YAP talk and criticise the hoofs of a donkey.

When it comes to delivering acting on your own, not much cop. What have Brexiteers delivered thus far. Naff all.

UK is in no different position to any other member state. Just a tad behind and hopefully learning from the Chinese on how to deal with it.

Last edited:

timsk

Legendary member
7,294 2,075
. . . Why you should be very confident that many countries will question the value of remaining part of the EU can only be a Tim belief rather than any evidence based conclusion. . .
Hi Jon,
Kind of you to credit me with original thought. Sadly, that's not true in this (and most) other cases. Perhaps you missed the video by 'Demirep' that I posted earlier in the thread? Fear not, there are plenty of others that cover it - as in this example from Carl Benjamin. Enjoy . . .

Pat494

Legendary member
14,291 1,486
IF the Europeans in the shape of Barmier and Junkers hadn't been so rigid in their beliefs of integration and immigration all would be well. Instead Britain and I suspect the EU will be badly hurt in the coming years.

Atilla

Legendary member
19,385 2,841
IF the Europeans in the shape of Barmier and Junkers hadn't been so rigid in their beliefs of integration and immigration all would be well. Instead Britain and I suspect the EU will be badly hurt in the coming years.
Why do you think that Pat?

So you feel EU and UK could still be better together if EU+26 member states compromise to UK vision of how it should all hang together? Or is there another explanation?

I feel EU will be better without the gobby likes of Farage and Euroseptic p1ss takers. As the saying goes close the door behind on your way out.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have another extension... We'll get to see soon enough how hard boiled Boris really is?

Signalcalc

Veteren member
4,665 1,029
CoronaBoris, hadn't thought of that one till now.
CoronaEU is like an Englishman asking for water in French, Coronaeau

Signalcalc

Veteren member
4,665 1,029
I think Brexit was largely decided by people who had a no personal interest but just a prejudice against immigration etc.
I pulled this one in from the Covid thread so it is less likely to pollute that thread and I think it deserves some comment as it raises questions that may have been done to death, or not, either way, I can see that the Brexit thread will not die as it is now being mooted to delay Brexit based on Covid, so this thread may live longer than ever!

To call people that are anti-immigration prejudiced is quite wrong, it's quite a blanket statement. On what basis are they prejudiced? Do they not have an opinion, an informed opinion? Do they not have reasons to be anti-immigration based on knowledge, statistics, personal experience maybe?

Why would you believe that people who are anti-immigration have no personal interest in Brexit other than immigration?

If immigration is their only personal interest in Brexit, then is that not reason enough to want Brexit?

Pat494

Legendary member
14,291 1,486

So you feel EU and UK could still be better together if EU+26 member states compromise to UK vision of how it should all hang together? Or is there another explanation?

I feel EU will be better without the gobby likes of Farage and Euroseptic p1ss takers. As the saying goes close the door behind on your way out.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have another extension... We'll get to see soon enough how hard boiled Boris really is?
It was very convenient for the UK imho to be so close to a large market like the EU but that foolish Merkel etc. would insist on greater integration, unlimited immigration etc. which was just too much for the UK to stomach. We and they are both the losers on the split but too late now I guess.

barjon

Legendary member
10,559 1,710
I pulled this one in from the Covid thread so it is less likely to pollute that thread and I think it deserves some comment as it raises questions that may have been done to death, or not, either way, I can see that the Brexit thread will not die as it is now being mooted to delay Brexit based on Covid, so this thread may live longer than ever!

To call people that are anti-immigration prejudiced is quite wrong, it's quite a blanket statement. On what basis are they prejudiced? Do they not have an opinion, an informed opinion? Do they not have reasons to be anti-immigration based on knowledge, statistics, personal experience maybe?

Why would you believe that people who are anti-immigration have no personal interest in Brexit other than immigration?

If immigration is their only personal interest in Brexit, then is that not reason enough to want Brexit?
Immigration may have been the single reason for some people voting to leave, or merely a factor for others, or not all for some regardless of their view on immigration. As you say, so what. I think most will have voted with the future of their country in mind and not just blind prejudice.

MasterOfCoin

393 143
I try to stay mostly out of the 'brexit' thread to retain my sanity.

But I just simply can't not comment on the whole 'immigration' nonsense.

We're all bloody immigrants here, period.

Much like the USofA, Greater Britain and it's Isles have been populated over the centuries by wave after wave of rampaging immigrants. It's just been going on rather longer on this side of the pond.

It's a universal characteristic of each successive wave of invaders that they then in turn vehemently oppose the next lot to arrive. We have to look after our own and we don't want them coming here and using all our stuff 'cos we need it, etc.

Which is only perfectly natural and just the way things always work out to repel perceived threats or change.

Mind you, as a result of always being completely inept at preventing such new invasions, we have managed to assimilate one of the richest languages on the planet, with often dozens of alternate words for the same bloody thing.

Ultimately, the ones better at killing any other people who come along tend to be in charge for a while up until some bunch even better at killing than they are turn up ... and take over.

It was ever thus ...

:whistle:

counter_violent

Legendary member
10,252 2,677

I'm pretty sure we weren't taking the piss. Au contraire, we meant every word of it.
I can't see any possibility of an extension. It seems quite clear that either the EU agree to UK terms or they will find themselves with a No Deal situation. (beggars can't be choosers)

I would say that there is an even stronger possibility going forward that the Covid19 saga will bring in to sharp focus the whole point of the EU and it's very survival.

Signalcalc

Veteren member
4,665 1,029
I try to stay mostly out of the 'brexit' thread to retain my sanity.

But I just simply can't not comment on the whole 'immigration' nonsense.

We're all bloody immigrants here, period.

Much like the USofA, Greater Britain and it's Isles have been populated over the centuries by wave after wave of rampaging immigrants. It's just been going on rather longer on this side of the pond.

It's a universal characteristic of each successive wave of invaders that they then in turn vehemently oppose the next lot to arrive. We have to look after our own and we don't want them coming here and using all our stuff 'cos we need it, etc.

Which is only perfectly natural and just the way things always work out to repel perceived threats or change.

Mind you, as a result of always being completely inept at preventing such new invasions, we have managed to assimilate one of the richest languages on the planet, with often dozens of alternate words for the same bloody thing.

Ultimately, the ones better at killing any other people who come along tend to be in charge for a while up until some bunch even better at killing than they are turn up ... and take over.

It was ever thus ...

:whistle:
You are referring to uncontrolled immigration, whereas the rest of us want it controlled, people that propose open borders never seem to get this point and always bang on about 'we're all immigrants' therefore........it was ever thus.

MasterOfCoin

393 143
You are referring to uncontrolled immigration, whereas the rest of us want it controlled, people that propose open borders never seem to get this point and always bang on about 'we're all immigrants' therefore........it was ever thus.
No, I'm referring to the historically accurate fact that we are all immigrants or the descendants thereof.

I made no proposals at all.

& I most certainly did not express any opinion on whether it should be controlled or not.

I have no objection to your stating that it should, in your opinion, be controlled.

What I object very strongly to is your assertion that this differs from my own opinion, precisely because I have said no such thing.

Kindly express your own views without making assumptions about those held by others.

Thank-You.

😷

Signalcalc

Veteren member
4,665 1,029
No, I'm referring to the historically accurate fact that we are all immigrants or the descendants thereof.

I made no proposals at all.

& I most certainly did not express any opinion on whether it should be controlled or not.

I have no objection to your stating that it should, in your opinion, be controlled.

What I object very strongly to is your assertion that this differs from my own opinion, precisely because I have said no such thing.

Kindly express your own views without making assumptions about those held by others.

Thank-You.

😷
I couldn't possibly know what your opinion is on the matter, never mind make an assumption or assertion about it! Unless you have stated it in a previous post somewhere perhaps?

To be clear, what I was referring to was the often heard phrases being used to justify open borders, quite a feature of Remoaners and Europhiles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock