Brexit and the Consequences

From reading around, there appears to be much letter writing to sympathetic member leaders in an attempt to persuade one of them to veto, how effective that will be is anyone’s guess. Brexiteers can live in hope, but I wonder what the consequences would be for the vetoing partner and the EU in general, high risk stakes, there will be mucho effort going in on both sides of the coin to help or prevent Brexit.

Aye, which leads me to think that One veto is more likely to be Two or Three, so that no individual country carries the can.

Very interesting reading your viewpoints. I'm wondering...

What is the root cause of our troubles that's what I like to know?

Where were we?

Where we are now?

Where are we going?

Has anyone seen any destination brochures with some pics or reviews from those already there?

Can someone remind me the reason why we've embarked on this journey please?

Farage, Boris, Govey country needs you lot to show us the way. Please help us.

Why have they gone sooo quiet? These next few days surely their moment!

How long will it take us to get there?

How much will it cost me?

Do I need suncream?

Should I be concerned?

I wonder what I should pack so I'm prepared and can enjoy the destination?

Who's our captain?

Wonder who'll be my fellow passengers?

You think some peeps may disembark before we get there?

Exciting times.

Aye, which leads me to think that One veto is more likely to be Two or Three, so that no individual country carries the can.
Hi c_v,
Forget one of the other member states vetoing an extension to Article 50 - it ain't gonna happen. As JRM said in the podcast that Jon linked to earlier, no country is going to expend its political capital and incur the wrath of the EU and most other member states just to do us a favour. Why would they - there's bu$$er in it for them - except truck loads of grief they could well do without. Given the options of a no-deal Brexit based on a veto or a snowball not melting in hell - the latter offers the best odds!
Tim.

Hi c_v,
Forget one of the other member states vetoing an extension to Article 50 - it ain't gonna happen. As JRM said in the podcast that Jon linked to earlier, no country is going to expend its political capital and incur the wrath of the EU and most other member states just to do us a favour. Why would they - there's bu$$er in it for them - except truck loads of grief they could well do without. Given the options of a no-deal Brexit based on a veto or a snowball not melting in hell - the latter offers the best odds!
Tim.

That's fine btw, we shall continue to make their lives a misery in the EU parliament as the numbers swell after May's elections.

The main issues still won't go away.

About time... Common sense if you ask me. What a ridiculous daft human idea?

This is what I would call the smart alek whacko of an idea. How it ever got implemented in the first place is beyond me.

Great idea? UK should follow European end to summer time clock changes (y)

European MPs vote to end summer time clock changes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47704345

Last edited:
That's fine btw, we shall continue to make their lives a misery in the EU parliament as the numbers swell after May's elections.

The main issues still won't go away.

Oh, I dunno. People are so fed up I expect they’ll vote for the Monster Raving Loonies.

But former Brexit secretary David Davis said the PM's deal was better than the alternatives and had a "decent chance" of getting through Parliament if put to the vote again.
"It's not a good deal but the alternative is a complete cascade of chaos," he said. "You are seeing proposals being put up which are all worse than hers."

Well, well, who’d’ve thunk it

Very interesting reading your viewpoints. I'm wondering...

What is the root cause of our troubles that's what I like to know?

The EU.

Where were we?

At the beginning of this thread

Where we are now?

Somewhere in the middle of this thread

Where are we going?

Towards the end of this thread

Has anyone seen any destination brochures with some pics or reviews from those already there?

I think you have been looking at glossy magazines of Barbados and are flying out there very soon (y)

Can someone remind me the reason why we've embarked on this journey please?

For sun, sea and jerk chicken

Farage, Boris, Govey country needs you lot to show us the way. Please help us.

They are all hard at work campaigning whilst you are jetting off to the sun, sea and jerk chicken

Why have they gone sooo quiet? These next few days surely their moment!

They are just jealous that you are going on holiday

How long will it take us to get there?

About 9 hours last time I flew out there :)

How much will it cost me?

Much more than the Reef, which is where I'm headed in a couple of days :love:

Do I need suncream?

Most certainly, don't forget the hat.

Should I be concerned?

Be concerned that you will still be able to connect to the internet and participate in the thread whilst you are away

I wonder what I should pack so I'm prepared and can enjoy the destination?

Laptop and/or phone

Who's our captain?

It's a cruise, isn't it?

Wonder who'll be my fellow passengers?

Brexiteers :ROFLMAO:

You think some peeps may disembark before we get there?

If you are cruising, you could always call in at Ascension or Montserrat and exile yourself, or just get horrendously drunk and fling yourself overboard :ROFLMAO:

Exciting times.

Don't forget to send us a postcard, as I will too:giggle:

Last edited:
Thanks SC that's put a smile on my face.

Wish it was true much like Brexit but sadly it ain't even half near to reality. :alien:

(y)

Thanks SC that's put a smile on my face.

Wish it was true much like Brexit but sadly it ain't even half near to reality. :alien:

(y)

I thought you said in the 7000 post count somewhere that you would be flying at the time of Brexit, thought you were off on a holiday, that makes me sad that you're not :(, but hey, blighty is in for another mini heatwave over the next few days, Brighton beach is beckoning :D

I thought you said in the 7000 post count somewhere that you would be flying at the time of Brexit, thought you were off on a holiday, that makes me sad that you're not :(, but hey, blighty is in for another mini heatwave over the next few days, Brighton beach is beckoning :D

Hey Att, if it gets too hot you can go for the shade. But leave those trees alone ya hear!

Attachments

• tree hugger.jpg
    tree hugger.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 82
UK should follow European end to summer time clock changes (y)

European MPs vote to end summer time clock changes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47704345

Follow Europe???!!!

Good god man, have you lost your mind!? At least we need a referendum, followed by a couple of years of pointless bickering (in and outside parliament) with some economic chaos thrown in to spice things up....and when we've done all that, how will our time relate to the rest of the world', if it's just the same as the EU's? - you'll just have to imagine me crossing myself and spitting as I write but I can tell you that one isn't born with enough hands to gracefully do all at the same time.

What happened to Temporal Sovereignty?

They’ll nanny you on the beaches, they’ll nanny you on time and they’ll nanny you on the roads, Britain. will. never. surrender.

Something for balance in the Winstonian context:

"....there is a remedy which, if it were generally and spontaneously adopted by the great majority of people in many lands, would as by a miracle transform the whole scene and would in a few years make all Europe, or the greater part of it, as free and happy as Switzerland is today. What is this sovereign remedy? It is to recreate the European fabric, or as much of it as we can, and to provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, safety and freedom. We must build a kind of United States of Europe."
(September 19, 1946. University of Zurich - Winston Churchill)

https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/speeches/1946-1963-elder-statesman/united-states-of-europe/

....I particularly like "...as free and happy as Switzerland":)

Hi Sig',
Just wondered - is this fake news or a joke of some kind? I ask as I've searched extensively and I can't find another reference to it anywhere - including on the official LEAVE.EU website.
Cheers, Tim.

"Judge upholds referendum funding breach
The Guardian22 Mar 2019David Pegg
A court has upheld the Electoral Commission’s decision to fine the pro-Brexit group Leave.EU for breaching campaign finance rules in the EU referendum.

Sitting at the Central London county court, Judge Dight ruled yesterday that the commission was entitled to find the group exceeded campaign spending limits, and that it had misreported some details of loans and spending.

However he allowed aspects of Leave.EU’s appeal, including that payments to the US political consultancy Goddard Gunster did not need to be reported, because political strategic advice is not a reportable election expense under UK electoral law.

The commission originally fined Leave.EU £70,000 for various offences last May. Because aspects of the group’s appeal succeeded, the overall penalty is likely to be reduced at a further hearing in April.

Leave.EU misreported several details of £6m of loans received from its founder Arron Banks, including the dates the loan agreements were entered into and the rates of interest."

https://www.pressreader.com

Something for balance in the Winstonian context:

"....there is a remedy which, if it were generally and spontaneously adopted by the great majority of people in many lands, would as by a miracle transform the whole scene and would in a few years make all Europe, or the greater part of it, as free and happy as Switzerland is today. What is this sovereign remedy? It is to recreate the European fabric, or as much of it as we can, and to provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, safety and freedom. We must build a kind of United States of Europe."
(September 19, 1946. University of Zurich - Winston Churchill)

https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/speeches/1946-1963-elder-statesman/united-states-of-europe/

....I particularly like "...as free and happy as Switzerland":)

A real shame that Germany has reverted to its former self, albeit without bloodshed, the toll on EU citizens, especially in the Southern Med must be horrendous.

A real shame that Germany has reverted to its former self, albeit without bloodshed, the toll on EU citizens, especially in the Southern Med must be horrendous.

Hmm, I take it you're referring to the former self that included the Nazi years...or perhaps the one that covered the family squabble 20 years earlier? You never know, we might yet get back to that other yet still earlier self of the 19th century where the Germans (some of them, anyway) decided the battle of Waterloo in our favour and the shape of Europe for the next 50 odd years.