Brexit and the Consequences

Hi Cant',
The answer of course - as I'm sure you're well aware - is that it's been factored in since the June 2016 result. Good news for the UK and bad, bad, bad news for the EU; especially if they don't get their 39 billion - which is going to hit 'em where it hurts.
:p

Um.... "of course" what? exactly....

If you're saying that it's because we're going to leave then by definition the "factoring in" as you put it was, by definition, possible within the existing pants environment.

Leaving the the underwear question to one side for the moment, I fail to see how any news which is "bad, bad, bad"** for the EU cannot be less than optimal for the UK as we are unfortunately obliged to continue trading with them for a spell.

** there exist a number of quite serviceable on-line Thesauri which might provide you with inspiration for some variety;)

Hey, Atilla, don’t fall into the brexiteer’s trap of pooh-poohing absolutely anything critical of brexit as project fear or fake news :). This has to be quite good news for confidence in the future albeit that shares can go up or down and they may be adding to losses since their existing 62 billion stake in us dropped 12% last year.

You are quite right and I don't feel I am. These investments aren't detailed other than labelled as assets.

Effectively they are hot capital flows which seek the highest return. The Japanese investment were in plants, production and employment. Hot capital flows with billions moving to benefit from overnight repo rates is quite common, but they can flow out as easily as they flow in. We are told this is a 30 year term investment. I find this to be a dubious assertion. Not many people move billions to invest over a 30 year term period. Especially when they only moved it out the previous year.

However, when the article is in the Daily Trash, to the non-thinking, ill informed layman, yes it must sound like an absolutely fab piece of news.

Whilst I both admire and concur as far as the sentiment goes, alas, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Cycling the 50 miles to Blighty from the Great Wen would already require more joules than I can carry in my back-pack and then the next bit from the town to Beachy Head or Saltmarsh for an amble would need me to be connected to a fast-charger for the rest of the day. You can imagine that if I add Madame into the equation the whole proposition becomes about as likely as a smooth Brexit.

Oh dear... On second thoughts best you avoid Brighton as it is not a car friendly town. Very hilly with exorbitant car parks. Rail travel is highway robbery too. Stick to Richmond Park (y)

I'll be in Richmond over the weekend. Sunday morning going for a ride with a friend. Having planned it some time ago seems will be cycling in the rain. What joy :love::love::love:

... and when we refuse to pay and renege on our financial commitments the EU will seek redress in the International Court of Justice. That’ll do our reputation the power of good.
Mornin' Jon,
I'm not suggesting for one minute that we renege on our financial commitments. My understanding is that we're under no obligation to pay a penny if we leave without a deal, ergo it's in the EU's best interests to secure one. If we don't agree a deal and the EU does as you suggest, my guess is that it'll end up with (even more) egg on its face.

If you're concerned about our international standing, then I suggest you do everything you can to ensure Brexit happens in accordance with the 2016 referendum. Because, if it doesn't, when it comes to parliamentary democracy, the U.K.'s reputation will rank alongside that of Zimbabwe under Mugabe or North Korea under Kim Jong-Un!
Tim.

Hi Cant',
I wasn't being entirely serious in my reply; a sentiment I hoped to impart by the use of the tongue out smilie. Perhaps I picked the wrong one - I'm never too sure if my understanding of them is the same as everyone else's! Be that as it may . . .
Um.... "of course" what? exactly....

If you're saying that it's because we're going to leave then by definition the "factoring in" as you put it was, by definition, possible within the existing pants environment.
Agreed, but perhaps (note emphasis) it wouldn't have happened if the referendum result had gone the way everyone expected and remain had won. This is one of those 'is the fridge light on when the door's closed' type of quandaries.

Leaving the the underwear question to one side for the moment, I fail to see how any news which is "bad, bad, bad"** for the EU cannot be less than optimal for the UK as we are unfortunately obliged to continue trading with them for a spell. . .
Well, hopefully we'll continue trading with them for longer than a spell! Unlike them, we'll be free agents, masters of our own destiny etc., which, in principle at least, is bueno, bueno, bueno. I accept fully that the potential for us to c0ck it up completely and end up being worse off than many EU members is very possible - likely even. That said, I subscribe to Michael Caine's view when he said:"I'd rather be a poor master than a rich servant".
Tim.

Oh dear... On second thoughts best you avoid Brighton as it is not a car friendly town. Very hilly with exorbitant car parks. Rail travel is highway robbery too. Stick to Richmond Park (y)

Thanks Att, you sure know how to sell.....and there was I finkin that now my niece is at Uni there I might as well get to know the place. She'll be getting someone else to take her to lunch in future.

The Richmond Park suggestion is a good one - all I have to do is borrow a friend's disobedient bloodthirsty mastiff

Hi Cant',
I wasn't being entirely serious in my reply; a sentiment I hoped to impart by the use of the tongue out smilie. Perhaps I picked the wrong one - I'm never too sure if my understanding of them is the same as everyone else's! Be that as it may . . .

Ah. Went completely over my head, guvner. I too am severely smilie-challenged myself - still gradually getting used to to the idea of SMS and the internal combustion engine. Evolution is a slow process in CantaWorld. On the opposite end of the scale you might have seen that over on his thread, Dentist has gone to the other extreme since the T2W upgrade and has become smilie obsessed. My theory is that because hardly anybody interacts with him over there he's got cabin fever, poor chap, shut up all by himself.

Agreed, but perhaps (note emphasis) it wouldn't have happened if the referendum result had gone the way everyone expected and remain had won. This is one of those 'is the fridge light on when the door's closed' type of quandaries.

Well, hopefully we'll continue trading with them for longer than a spell! Unlike them, we'll be free agents, masters of our own destiny etc., which, in principle at least, is bueno, bueno, bueno. I accept fully that the potential for us to c0ck it up completely and end up being worse off than many EU members is very possible - likely even. That said, I subscribe to Michael Caine's view when he said:"I'd rather be a poor master than a rich servant".
Tim.

I understand (maybe!) your point about the fridge light but I'm much inclined to think that it wouldn't have mattered who won the the referendum and that it's not the result that has been so divisive and destabilising but the referendum process itself. There are perfectly good arguments for both cases and whilst the Division bell is works pretty well for a few hundred elected representatives it's not at all suited to direct democracy.

Neither the UK nor the Continent is going to disappear when the deed is finally done and the obsession with Brexit as an event detracts from the real questions....such as " Does anyone know wtf is really going to happen in the 1/5/10 years after we've left" and "How come the fridge light is still on when not only is the door closed but I've unplugged the f**ker as well?"

Mornin' Jon,
I'm not suggesting for one minute that we renege on our financial commitments. My understanding is that we're under no obligation to pay a penny if we leave without a deal, ergo it's in the EU's best interests to secure one. If we don't agree a deal and the EU does as you suggest, my guess is that it'll end up with (even more) egg on its face.

If you're concerned about our international standing, then I suggest you do everything you can to ensure Brexit happens in accordance with the 2016 referendum. Because, if it doesn't, when it comes to parliamentary democracy, the U.K.'s reputation will rank alongside that of Zimbabwe under Mugabe or North Korea under Kim Jong-Un!
Tim.

Nonsense!

It will go down in history as how not to draw up and conduct referendums. Quite a few people already know this.

If the Oscars hadn't passed I might have guessed you were auditioning for one with that dramatic outburst. :eek:

I understand (maybe!) your point about the fridge light but I'm much inclined to think that it wouldn't have mattered who won the the referendum and that it's not the result that has been so divisive and destabilising but the referendum process itself. There are perfectly good arguments for both cases and whilst the Division bell is works pretty well for a few hundred elected representatives it's not at all suited to direct democracy.

Neither the UK nor the Continent is going to disappear when the deed is finally done and the obsession with Brexit as an event detracts from the real questions....such as " Does anyone know wtf is really going to happen in the 1/5/10 years after we've left" and "How come the fridge light is still on when not only is the door closed but I've unplugged the f**ker as well?"

What capacitors have you got in your fridge then? I bet they must be fairly big mama's. :rolleyes:

Just another example of this incompetent secretive Tory shambles. How many more secret deceitful examples will emerge? Every time traitor May hops over the channel you can be sure another secretive arrangement has been made.

Utter, total and incompetent fools the lot of them, where’s my yellow vest [emoji2959]

Government pays Eurotunnel £33m over Brexit ferry case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47414699

Mornin' Jon,

Tim.

I think your understanding is very different from the EU’s :ROFLMAO:

So far as the other bit, the referendum merely said “leave”. It didn’t specify any particular degree of leaving (and any deal means you have to compromise on the full monty to some degree). BRINO, of course, is actually much more than brino and delivers on many of the Brexit elements. As I said before, even with a no deal our businesses would still need to obey the EU’s rules and regulations if they wish to do business there - I suppose you could call that brino at a stretch.

Last edited:
Just another example of this incompetent secretive Tory shambles. How many more secret deceitful examples will emerge? Every time traitor May hops over the channel you can be sure another secretive arrangement has been made.

Utter, total and incompetent fools the lot of them, where’s my yellow vest [emoji2959]

Government pays Eurotunnel £33m over Brexit ferry case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47414699

I don't think that's as bad as you make out. Tendering process for Government contracts always a nightmare. It does need to be open yes but I think it is as always a case of not preparing and over simplifying what leave means.

Shed loads of work and nobody to do it. Why don't you run along and ask Govey why it isn't as simple as he said it would be?

Ask the same question to Moggy and Leadsom too? Heroes of Brexit. LOL

What's Boris up to these days. I bet you his bit of fluff on the side will soon leave him once his name gets scrubbed off the headlines.

fwiw Read this and check the dates. https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13614013.newhaven-port-expansion-approved/

There is also something like £450m motorway expansion that has been approved.

New Haven and Sea Haven are places to invest in for any buy-to-let lovers out there. (y)

the big corporates will always look for opportunities to spin global évents in their PR machines

we all do it .......helps to shield things

however if i’m sitting in global PLC and am looking at investing in the UK

the current economic and politically climate is hardly sunny is it ?

and thats a lot to do with brexit

until we leave or remain or whatever else this excuse of a parliament decides we are doing

we are not going to get the flag waving future our leave population voted for

N

Good clip and a very proud institution that UK is. However, quite a few inaccuracies and false statements.

Issue with these kinds of programs are that they are propoganda to brainwash the non-thinking listener as there is no one to challenge him.

One example they talk of a single body of power stating UK will be run by non-elected European bureaucrats.

That statement and assertion is clearly incorrect. There are many tiers of membership and UK is not party to the single currency. It is a voluntary organisation with a paid up membership. Nothing stops states from leaving.

Secondly, those European bureaucrats are representatives based on population sizes of member states. They make it sound like UK has no representatives. UK has 2nd biggest of voting rights after Germany.

They also state UK trade is 90% with outside of Europe. That is clearly incorrect. UK international trade with EU is approx 42%. Apparently it has increased to 44% in 2017. They say it's falling or rather it was but big margin of error to claim 10% of UK exports go to EU when it is 40%+.

It is a powerful piece of production and I almost got swept away in tears my self. Good one (y)

One example they talk of a single body of power stating UK will be run by non-elected European bureaucrats.

That statement and assertion is clearly incorrect.

Why?

There are many tiers of membership and UK is not party to the single currency. It is a voluntary organisation with a paid up membership. Nothing stops states from leaving.

What's voluntary? What wouldn’t stop states from leaving what - exactly?

They also state UK trade is 90% with outside of Europe. That is clearly incorrect. UK international trade with EU is approx 42%. Apparently it has increased to 44% in 2017. They say it's falling or rather it was but big margin of error to claim 10% of UK exports go to EU when it is 40%+.

I didn't hear that, whereabouts is it in the video?

Last edited:
So as the recession gathers pace across Europe, there is the very real possibility that QE will start again. So come on you remoaners, tell us once again that we are bonkers to be leaving this wonderful economic powerhouse.

Last time i'm going to tell you........there is no growth in the EU without printing press stimulus.

Att has a proven track record, gets everything wrong, you shouldn't listen to a word he says.

Only Brexiteers know what they are talking about as we have proven time and again. (y)