Brexit and the Consequences

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38613488
Our wonderful unbiased BBC (Radio Guardian) reports thus on the Oxfam report:

The world's eight richest billionaires
1. Bill Gates (US): co-founder of Microsoft (net worth $75bn)
2. Amancio Ortega (Spain): founder of Zara owner Inditex (net worth $67bn)
3. Warren Buffett (US): largest shareholder in Berkshire Hathaway (net worth $60.8bn)
4. Carlos Slim Helu (Mexico): owner of Grupo Carso (net worth $50bn)
5. Jeff Bezos (US): founder and chief executive of Amazon (net worth $45.2bn)
6. Mark Zuckerberg (US): co-founder and chief executive of Facebook (net worth $44.6bn)
7. Larry Ellison (US): co-founder and chief executive of Oracle (net worth $43.6bn)
8. Michael Bloomberg (US): owner of Bloomberg LP (net worth $40bn)

But it fails to mention their charitable donations of:

1. Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft: More than $27 billion dollars in charitable donations, some 48% of his net worth, saving some 6 million lives fighting malaria and polio.
2.Amancio Ortega, founder of Inditex: More than $95 million in charitable donations.
3.Warren Buffett, CEO, Berkshire Hathaway: More than $21.5 billion in charitable donations.
4.Carlos Slim Helu, owner of Grupo Carso: More than $4 billion dollars in charitable donations.
5.Jeff Bezos, founder, Amazon: More than $25 million dollars in charitable donations, invests hundreds of millions in not-for-profit ventures.
6.Mark Zuckerberg, co-founder of Facebook: More than $1.6 billion in charitable donations.
7.Larry Ellison, co-founder, Oracle: More than $564 million dollars in charitable donations.
8.Michael Bloomberg, founder, Bloomberg LP: More than $4.22 billion dollars in charitable donations.

Oxfam's head of global external affairs, said the report helped the charity to "challenge the political and economic elites".

I just wonder how many of Oxfam's (well off) supporters would be prepared to give up a substantial part of their wealth to help the poor of this world? Call me old-fashioned but I get the smell of hypocrisy here.

Speaking of money and inequity and inequality and what countries do what, this from The Atlantic.

The World Economic Forum released a report today that shows "the U.S. ranks 23 out of 30 developed nations in a measure known as the 'inclusive development index,' which factors in data on income, health, poverty, and sustainability" (30 being the worst). The UK ranks 21st. The worst? Greece. The best? Norway, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands.

The US ranked next to worst in the "inclusion" category.

"I do believe this, if they (the EU countries) hadn't been forced to take in all of the refugees, so many ... I think that you wouldn't have a Brexit," DJT

Anybody here agree with this fella?

Last edited:
Theresa May saying we will be out of the single market and out of the customs union... yet the market is liking it....gbpusd up, ftse taking a small hit down 45.

caught a interview from a member of the public on the news before, she stated

" I voted remain as i was afraid of change, now brexit is going ahead and plans are being put in place i'm very excited as to what the future holds outside the EU "

Mrs.Atilla..Brighton...:whistling...:LOL:

Although if I remember correctly, this is what Merkel said from the beginning.

If only the EU leaders were in tune with individual member countries leaders, then all this upheaval might have been avoided. Alas, they will have to learn the hard way.

Good, confident speech from the PM which ought to reassure Remainers and also put the EU on notice.

Just heard the most unbelievable twaddle and drivel on Sky from Tim Farron, Leader of the Liberal Democrats who seems to think that everyone who voted to leave also actually wanted to, and thought they could, stay in the single market (despite anyone with half a brain cell knowing that the 2 are incompatible).

This was preceded by Corbyn whose utterings were completely unintelligible to me and just seem to be random quotes and soundbites of no interest or relevance whatsoever. Why on earth do they put up with him?

At the very least, Theresa May looks and sounds like a Prime Minister.

Last edited:
There WILL be a vote in Parliament on the final Brexit deal on both sides of the house.

Everything else is just text material.

I'm happy.

Other stuff don't mean much to me. (y)

There WILL be a vote in Parliament on the final Brexit deal on both sides of the house.

Everything else is just text material.

I'm happy.

Other stuff don't mean much to me. (y)

Very important, very significant and the right thing to do.

I'm also very pleased that Attila is happy :)

Most of us are lager louts now

I've no wish to rub salt into the wounds of Remainers but I've just been reading an article in "The New European" newspaper – a very pro-EU publication so what follows isn't really very surprising.

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...to_be_just_another_member_of_a_team_1_4851882

In an article by Prof Nicholas Boyle of Cambridge University (presumably one of the finest brains in the land) he says, amongst a lot else, that:
"The referendum vote does not deserve to be respected because, as an outgrowth of English narcissism, it is itself disrespectful of others, of our allies, partners, neighbours, friends, and, in many cases, even relatives. Like resentful ruffians uprooting the new trees in the park and trashing the new play area, 17 million English (I think he means British), the lager louts of Europe, voted for Brexit in an act of geopolitical vandalism."

So there you go, us 52% – that's what you are! But in all honesty, although it would make good debating for an undergraduate seminar, it's a bit wacky isn't it?

Good, confident speech from the PM which ought to reassure Remainers and also put the EU on notice.

Just heard the most unbelievable twaddle and drivel on Sky from Tim Farron, Leader of the Liberal Democrats who seems to think that everyone who voted to leave also actually wanted to, and thought they could, stay in the single market (despite anyone with half a brain cell knowing that the 2 are incompatible).

This was preceded by Corbyn whose utterings were completely unintelligible to me and just seem to be random quotes and soundbites of no interest or relevance whatsoever. Why on earth do they put up with him?

At the very least, Theresa May looks and sounds like a Prime Minister.

I thought Clegg had the monopoly on idiocy at One time but he has a worthy challenger now in Farron.

I've no wish to rub salt into the wounds of Remainers but I've just been reading an article in "The New European" newspaper – a very pro-EU publication so what follows isn't really very surprising.

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...to_be_just_another_member_of_a_team_1_4851882

In an article by Prof Nicholas Boyle of Cambridge University (presumably one of the finest brains in the land) he says, amongst a lot else, that:
"The referendum vote does not deserve to be respected because, as an outgrowth of English narcissism, it is itself disrespectful of others, of our allies, partners, neighbours, friends, and, in many cases, even relatives. Like resentful ruffians uprooting the new trees in the park and trashing the new play area, 17 million English (I think he means British), the lager louts of Europe, voted for Brexit in an act of geopolitical vandalism."

So there you go, us 52% – that's what you are! But in all honesty, although it would make good debating for an undergraduate seminar, it's a bit wacky isn't it?

another quote from this guy

"Economic globalisation has political, cultural and demographic consequences that dissolve national borders, whether ancient or recent, along with local peculiarities and traditions. As the world becomes richer it becomes both more homogeneous and more difficult to govern from local centres of decision. "