Brexit and the Consequences

timsk

Legendary member
7,191 1,945
It's too early to say that everything Brexit wise will turn out as those who voted leave hope and expect it to. However, the situation as a whole looks a whole lot more positive and encouraging than it's done at any time prior to BoJo becoming PM. Dan Hannan sums up the whole saga very well in this short vid':

tomorton

Legendary member
7,702 1,091
It's too early to say that everything Brexit wise will turn out as those who voted leave hope and expect it to. However, the situation as a whole looks a whole lot more positive and encouraging than it's done at any time prior to BoJo becoming PM. Dan Hannan sums up the whole saga very well in this short vid':

I think he's rather too gung-ho on the Johnson Brexit plan and prospects. But that's an opinion and I could be wrong about that.

But where he is factually wrong is in saying nothing has changed in Europe. No doubt it suits his vision of the EU to portray it as a monolithic super-state, united in its antipathy towards the UK.

We started down the Brexit road in June 2016. Things have changed radically during this time on the political front within the major EU members. Across the region, the east is pre-occupied with keeping Russia out and the west with bringing Russia in. The south has fudged immigration issues and the north has fudged its response: this will bite back. The far right's election performances have frightened many politicians in the centre and centre-right.

France and Germany's leaders are unpopular and potentially both are on exit routes. Italy and Spain are lost in spirals of political crisis. Poland has no strong EU voice yet. The Netherlands is "led" by a 4-party coalition. Belgium - no government, no surprise.

This is definitely a changed, disunited and weaker EU.

Reactions: Atilla

Signalcalc

Veteren member
4,280 928
I think he's rather too gung-ho on the Johnson Brexit plan and prospects. But that's an opinion and I could be wrong about that.

But where he is factually wrong is in saying nothing has changed in Europe. No doubt it suits his vision of the EU to portray it as a monolithic super-state, united in its antipathy towards the UK.

We started down the Brexit road in June 2016. Things have changed radically during this time on the political front within the major EU members. Across the region, the east is pre-occupied with keeping Russia out and the west with bringing Russia in. The south has fudged immigration issues and the north has fudged its response: this will bite back. The far right's election performances have frightened many politicians in the centre and centre-right.

France and Germany's leaders are unpopular and potentially both are on exit routes. Italy and Spain are lost in spirals of political crisis. Poland has no strong EU voice yet. The Netherlands is "led" by a 4-party coalition. Belgium - no government, no surprise.

This is definitely a changed, disunited and weaker EU.
Brexit is the beginning of the end of the EU as we know it, what it morphs into no-one knows, well done the Brits for kick starting the process, obviously there has been undercurrents of discontent amongst the citizenship abroad for many years, hilarious that it was a naiive Tory PM getting the revolution finally underway, interesting decades ahead.

Atilla

Legendary member
19,226 2,752
Very premature stuff to say the least.

Another key point on the horizon for me is a potential trump win and when he turns his tariff deal negotiations towards EU.

UK aligning with US will be significant to new future relationship.

Will be frosty to say the least. Much love with our EU cousins will be lost.

It will be very emotional and English hearts will be torn. Well all start talkin about the war again.

Oh what Joy's await us. 😀

Signalcalc

Veteren member
4,280 928
Very premature stuff to say the least.

Another key point on the horizon for me is a potential trump win and when he turns his tariff deal negotiations towards EU.

UK aligning with US will be significant to new future relationship.

Will be frosty to say the least. Much love with our EU cousins will be lost.

It will be very emotional and English hearts will be torn. Well all start talkin about the war again.

Oh what Joy's await us. 😀
Hardly premature when the French have been rioting for over a year, Dutch farmers for months, many EU members have held referendums to leave before us, then stitched-up. Italy and the Visegrad have had anti-EU leadership or opposition for years, the citizenship is discontent and the major EU hierarchy is crumbling, classic hallmarks of an Empire in decline. The founding fathers of the EU are long gone, along with their ideas, the world is moving on at a rapid pace, Chinese will be invading North Africa soon enough, shrinking the EU's ambitions for control over that region and then there is Trump............

Atilla

Legendary member
19,226 2,752
OMG that is soooo funniiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee....

Well done SC. Loved the script. :love:

Alignment with the Furer is a little off factual considering EU was setup to prevent likes of his return and Brexiteers are indeed stoking the rise of the far-right movements but hey that can be peddled by Brexiteers as artistic licence to thrill.

Very good. I like it. (y)

• Haha
Reactions: Signalcalc

cantagril

2,798 729
........ The founding fathers of the EU are long gone, along with their ideas, the world is moving on at a rapid pace, ......
Poor Winston - the old fuddy-duddy with his quaint ideas:)

Once the safeguards have been removed no doubt we'll go back to killing each other - as is the natural order of things. Now that the writing is on the wall we need to be thinking of a pre-emptive strike -as Scotland will shortly be leaving our own Union perhaps we could retake Aquitaine to replace it. Much better food there and we would no longer have to bother with import duties on the drink.

*Winston Churchill speaking in Zurich
I9th September 1946.

Pat494

Legendary member
14,182 1,466
What worries many independent minded people is the continuing tightening up of the EU.
We already have the union of politics, law and economics. Adding the military to joint control was a step too far by foolish EU leaders. They have shot themselves in the foot .
Everyone is aware that the EU only has a puppet Parliament, The real power is the nation contributing the most money and that is Germany. Merkel's daft immigration etc. policies held sway in Europe.
I think the EU concept was a brave and noble effort ruined by stupid politicians. It may well collapse after Brexit.

2,356 644
What worries many independent minded people is the continuing tightening up of the EU.
We already have the union of politics, law and economics. Adding the military to joint control was a step too far by foolish EU leaders. They have shot themselves in the foot .
Everyone is aware that the EU only has a puppet Parliament, The real power is the nation contributing the most money and that is Germany. Merkel's daft immigration etc. policies held sway in Europe.
I think the EU concept was a brave and noble effort ruined by stupid politicians. It may well collapse after Brexit.
"The EU concept" was always doomed to failure. The original Common Market which we joined was an excellent idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock