Brexit and the Consequences

cantagril

2,547 634
As for shutting down the thread NO WAY!
Consequences yet to play out. We are talking years, decades even. Best you get lots of pop-corn and Wellies just incase this climate change biz reflects Brexit consequences.
Super bright day. Onwards and forwards :love::love::love:
Oh Joy! Years or decades!!

I can hardly wait for what is to come - yet more of the endless misunderstandings, the pointless arguments, the alcohol fuelled rants (and the non-alcohol fuelled ones), the nit-picking, the straw men, the argumenta ad absurdum. It hasn't been an end but a beginning. A new brighter dawn for a brave new world.... so why do I have this urge to shoot myself?

Anyway, glad you're still around Att. You do add a certain je ne sais quoi to the thread. And I really do mean that, most sincerely...:p

PS: we won't need wellies! Sig has it all sorted...

Pat494

Legendary member
13,978 1,435
More seriously though the going is is likely to be tough.
The UK can't just go back to the awful situations of the 1960s.
Much more of a team effort is needed.

cantagril

2,547 634
More seriously though the going is is likely to be tough.
The UK can't just go back to the awful situations of the 1960s.
Much more of a team effort is needed.
If not, why not?

Is there truly something in the present political situation that is actually going to improve anyone's lot? Team effort!! Hah! That's a good one - I knew you had a biting sense of humour Pat :)

• Haha
Reactions: Atilla

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,794 2,517
So, what I want to know is..............are remoaners now going to wind their necks in and get with the program, after all, they have no effective representation now in parliament. All the spoilers and blockers are toast!

The evidence suggests that there will be pent up investment demand for the UK.

If the Govt is sensible, they will ensure that the North and Midlands receive greater than average investment, which should ensure that the lent votes turn into solid votes at the next election.

barjon

Legendary member
10,359 1,592
So, what I want to know is..............are remoaners now going to wind their necks in and get with the program, after all, they have no effective representation now in parliament. All the spoilers and blockers are toast!

If the Govt is sensible, they will ensure that the North and Midlands receive greater than average investment, which should ensure that the lent votes turn into solid votes at the next election.
I suppose remainers will have to be content to sob quietly in their beer. Interestingly, Boris has now got such a huge majority that he can‘t be held to ransom by the hard line ERG so that’s a plus.

Reactions: tomorton

Atilla

Legendary member
19,097 2,701
C'mon At', do pay attention: it's BoJo not MoJo. He's called Boris Johnson not Morris Johnson!!!
:p
I wonder what he'll be called by the time his finished with his presidency.

Wot? U mean like the Eurosceptics for the last 50 years who really put their back into making EU vision work for the UK?

:ROFLMAO:

Signalcalc

Veteren member
3,969 850
I suppose remainers will have to be content to sob quietly in their beer.
There's still an angry crowd out there, still calling anyone that disagrees with them racist and thick, still sore losers, still capable of attempting disruption, as for how much we see of them, well that will be down to MSM. Although they will be hard to ignore as they begin the process of electing their next new leader.

tomorton

Legendary member
7,557 1,032
There's still an angry crowd out there, still calling anyone that disagrees with them racist and thick, still sore losers, still capable of attempting disruption, as for how much we see of them, well that will be down to MSM. Although they will be hard to ignore as they begin the process of electing their next new leader.

They're still sore I am sure, but the only way they will rally together into a credible political force now would be through inept Conservative footwork. This can never be ruled out - remember the Poll Tax?

I expect Johnson to conclude what Farage and the ERG will call Brexit in name only - it will be Brexit but with enough accommodation for EU preferences as to deflate and dilute the Remain argument. With so many new MP's who owe their jobs to Johnson, he need take little account of the ERG. Meanwhile Farage has no MP's, the LibDems have yet again stepped in their own chips.

How could the Remainers rally? Hard to see it happening now but maybe -

1. Pre-Brexit, Labour quickly appoint a centrist female leader and declare a 100% Remain policy, maybe they even absorb the LibDem party: oppositions in Italy, the US and Ukraine have done well by seeking charismatic new leaders with high profiles in entertainment and media, and it can't be ruled out here.

2. Trade talks break down and Johnson takes the No-deal route: unlikely he (and the EU) would be so clumsy.

3. Post-Brexit, the UK adopts a strongly climate change-sceptical standpoint, while the EU dramatically accelerates its green objectives: this would unite two different popular movements: a catalyst event might motivate this and even sweep up more, such as e.g. another US-dominated oil-centric military initiative.

• Haha
Reactions: Oscar Reed

cantagril

2,547 634
They're still sore I am sure, but the only way they will rally together into a credible political force now would be through inept Conservative footwork. This can never be ruled out - remember the Poll Tax?

I expect Johnson to conclude what Farage and the ERG will call Brexit in name only - it will be Brexit but with enough accommodation for EU preferences as to deflate and dilute the Remain argument. With so many new MP's who owe their jobs to Johnson, he need take little account of the ERG. Meanwhile Farage has no MP's, the LibDems have yet again stepped in their own chips.

How could the Remainers rally? Hard to see it happening now but maybe -

1. Pre-Brexit, Labour quickly appoint a centrist female leader and declare a 100% Remain policy, maybe they even absorb the LibDem party: oppositions in Italy, the US and Ukraine have done well by seeking charismatic new leaders with high profiles in entertainment and media, and it can't be ruled out here.

2. Trade talks break down and Johnson takes the No-deal route: unlikely he (and the EU) would be so clumsy.

3. Post-Brexit, the UK adopts a strongly climate change-sceptical standpoint, while the EU dramatically accelerates its green objectives: this would unite two different popular movements: a catalyst event might motivate this and even sweep up more, such as e.g. another US-dominated oil-centric military initiative.
Nobody expects the unexpected.

Cue the music:

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,794 2,517
What marvelous times we live in. If Brexit wasn't enough, we now have the Labour party postmortem on the election result + the battle for control of the soul. Can't wait to get stuck in personally, Brexit was becoming a tad boring.
Then there's the Boris ....... Krankie pantomime. Deep joy.

tomorton

Legendary member
7,557 1,032
Many political parties love to hark back to their founding years, when almost-mythical political leaders and statesman-like orators strode this green land. Especially on the left.

The SNP keep pretty quiet that one of their first leaders fought conscription during WW2. Seems he'd rather have seen a Nazi victory as long as Scotland could split from the UK and he could be the leader. Freedom under Nazi domination of course sounds a bit unrealistic................

tomorton

Legendary member
7,557 1,032
Many political parties love to hark back to their founding years, when almost-mythical political leaders and statesman-like orators strode this green land. Especially on the left.

The SNP keep pretty quiet that one of their first leaders fought conscription during WW2. Seems he'd rather have seen a Nazi victory as long as Scotland could split from the UK and he could be the leader. Freedom under Nazi domination of course sounds a bit unrealistic................

PS: He was also a member of the Labour Party.

barjon

Legendary member
10,359 1,592
What marvelous times we live in. If Brexit wasn't enough, we now have the Labour party postmortem on the election result + the battle for control of the soul. Can't wait to get stuck in personally, Brexit was becoming a tad boring.
Then there's the Boris ....... Krankie pantomime. Deep joy.
They’ve been there before when the “militant” far lefties had control of the party in Michael Foot’s time - it took about 14 years to rid themselves of that toxic influence and become electable again. Even worse with the “momentum” lot this time and although brexit was clearly a major factor it’s momentum/Corbyn’s peddling the politics of hate, as well as seeming not to think much of their own country that is so out of touch with their natural electorate. They are in denial, of course, their manifesto was “incredibly popular” and it was nothing to do with Corbyn’s image. It was just brexit (ignoring that they miscalculated the mood there with the sitting on the fence policy)

Reactions: 0007 and tomorton