Brexit and the Consequences

timsk

Legendary member
6,957 1,819
A remainer ambassador is removed from his post and the police want to prosecute the publisher, stasi police state, what about Gavin Williamson, Julian Assange, Tommy Robinson.
Hi Sig',
As ever, I take your point and, in broad terms, I agree with you. That said, I think it's reasonable for 'the state' to investigate how and who is responsible for the leak and, in so doing, breaching the Official Secrets Act. Needless to say, the publisher (and the excellent Isabel Oakeshott who broke the story) have not signed said act and should not be prosecuted. Freedom of the press and all that. As for Sir Kim Darroch, he was quite right to resign and, had he not done so, ought to have been sacked for his utter stupidity. In this day and age of Wikileaks - politicians, diplomats et al must assume as a matter of course that anything they commit to paper - be it real or virtual - will end up in the public domain. He should have couched his concerns about Trump and his administration in much more diplomatic language.
Tim.

Signalcalc

3,164 673
Hi Sig',
As ever, I take your point and, in broad terms, I agree with you. That said, I think it's reasonable for 'the state' to investigate how and who is responsible for the leak and, in so doing, breaching the Official Secrets Act. Needless to say, the publisher (and the excellent Isabel Oakeshott who broke the story) have not signed said act and should not be prosecuted. Freedom of the press and all that. As for Sir Kim Darroch, he was quite right to resign and, had he not done so, ought to have been sacked for his utter stupidity. In this day and age of Wikileaks - politicians, diplomats et al must assume as a matter of course that anything they commit to paper - be it real or virtual - will end up in the public domain. He should have couched his concerns about Trump and his administration in much more diplomatic language.
Tim.
It just defies belief that on the one hand UKGov are holding global conferences stating intentions of freedoms of the press, removing disinformation, fake news, oppression of journalists worldwide whilst at the same time they are jailing publishers and journalists and using the police to make threats against the press in the UK.

I'm not sure if they can damage their own credibility further, but everything they do is the opposite of everything they say.

Sent from my AGM X3 using Tapatalk

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,543 2,418

Prime Minister Theresa May said Sir Kim's departure was "a matter of deep regret" and public servants should be able to give "full and frank advice".

That's why she is leaving folks. If she thinks that the poorly written comments about the US administration were worthy of backing this opinionated, politically motivated, rogue civil servant, then it follows that her judgement is completely unsound.

Of course, some of us knew this before she even got the top job.

Signalcalc

3,164 673
Boris has an 'out' for the 31 Oct then!

BBC News - Brexit: Campaigner Gina Miller threatens no deal court battle

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,543 2,418
Preparation for No Deal – As portrayed in Spectator Magazine

View attachment 264959

The truth is that the UK has record employment coupled with higher than forecast wage growth. The UK will boom after Brexit once business knows and understands the direction of travel. The lying, conniving remoaners have been found out and they don't like it. The EU will take another economic hit after the No Deal exit, but the worst damage will be political across Europe. The infighting will really get going post Brexit.

timsk

Legendary member
6,957 1,819
It says something (and something none too complimentary) when a remainer has to get himself elected as a Green Party MEP before the penny finally drops and he realises what he's voted for. How many other remainers are equally as clueless as Magid Magid . . .

What’s disappointed me in my first two weeks in Brussels. A freshman MEP from the British Green Party on what’s wrong with the EU capital.

Still, credit where credit's due; well done Magid for removing the veil and telling it like it is.

Reactions: 0007

Signalcalc

3,164 673
Another 'out' for Boris, he's going to have the pick of avoiding Brexit whilst simultaneously being able to absolve himself of any blame. It doesn't really matter though, they will all be 'out' at the next GE.

BBC News - Brexit: MPs back bid to block Parliament suspension

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,543 2,418
Another 'out' for Boris, he's going to have the pick of avoiding Brexit whilst simultaneously being able to absolve himself of any blame. It doesn't really matter though, they will all be 'out' at the next GE.

BBC News - Brexit: MPs back bid to block Parliament suspension

I hope the Brexit Party are using this time wisely. It will take a Farage and Johnson coalition to finally kill off EU membership.

The forthcoming election will be fascinating. :)