Brexit and the Consequences

timsk

Legendary member
7,083 1,868
. . .The "Gilet Jaune" will soon be de rigeur in the best circles....in fact I've already seen a few popping up here and there (mostly on construction sites so far) but the movement is building. . .
I see what you did there cant', - too clever! ;-)

As a matter of interest, do you not have a view about Brexit - as in in or out - or do you just enjoy keeping us all guessing? You appear to be slightly contrarian in your views, tricky to pin down, not a fence sitter as such or even a liberal, but someone who clearly enjoys left field interventions. That can at times be a tad discombobulating, as all other active subscribers to this thread have made their views on the topic very plain long ago. No need to reply unless you want to - but feel free to clarify if you feel so inclined.
Tim.

cantagril

2,465 603

As a matter of interest, do you not have a view about Brexit - as in in or out - or do you just enjoy keeping us all guessing? You appear to be slightly contrarian in your views, tricky to pin down, not a fence sitter as such or even a liberal, but someone who clearly enjoys left field interventions. That can at times be a tad discombobulating, as all other active subscribers to this thread have made their views on the topic very plain long ago. No need to reply unless you want to - but feel free to clarify if you feel so inclined.
Tim.

Tim.

Too clever for my own good. Boredom makes you do strange things. As to my "position" on Brexit. I have actually excreted this in the past somewhere in the nearing 10,000 turds that make up this thread:

There are arguments both for staying and leaving which I would be dishonest not to acknowledge.

I regard the Referendum as being the one of the most ill-conceived political moves in the last 100-odd years of UK history and one of the worst executed. The current turmoil and loathing is a result of that referendum and has little to do with whether we are in or out of Europe/EU.

I did not vote as this result was (to me) a foregone conclusion - call me awkward but shooting myself in the foot isn't one of my favourite pass times. The vote either way was always an absurdity in that asking the uninformed and unreasoning populace to make an informed and reasoned decision to the most ridiculous of questions was a non-starter. I regard the choice as presented to be along the lines of "Would you prefer to drink acid or slowly stick kebab skewers in both your eyes?" but had there been a petition or a referendum to demand parliamentary debate on the whole issue of the terms of our EU membership, I would have voted "yes" in an instant.

The whole Brexit issue is pack of lies from both sides of the fence as in reality it has never been a binary issue - our relationship with the nations of Europe was and is not defined by our membership of the EU just as it won't be defined by once again not being members. What started to happen the moment the votes were in is a process that can only end in the general consensus that the current government/parliament/ the UK political system is incapable of resolving the issue to the satisfaction of a clear majority.

So, to recap - the country was conned when we joined, conned during our membership and conned as we leave and these star performances were not inflicted on us by the nasty foreigners but by our own dear politicos. Rest assured, the con will continue after we've left and to my mind it'll be a toss-up as to whether any of the benefits of that membership will be retained or even understood until after they've dissolved in the new post-Cock Up reality. 40 odd years down the drain with bugger all to show for it. ....and just think of the next round of choices that are about to be presented: Rees fucking Mogg, Corbyn the Cretin and the UKIP comedy show. So go ahead, spin the wheel and make your bets because they don't matter - the House always wins.

Reactions: NVP and barjon

Signalcalc

Veteren member
3,806 802
Too clever for my own good. Boredom makes you do strange things. As to my "position" on Brexit. I have actually excreted this in the past somewhere in the nearing 10,000 turds that make up this thread:

There are arguments both for staying and leaving which I would be dishonest not to acknowledge.

I regard the Referendum as being the one of the most ill-conceived political moves in the last 100-odd years of UK history and one of the worst executed. The current turmoil and loathing is a result of that referendum and has little to do with whether we are in or out of Europe/EU.

I did not vote as this result was (to me) a foregone conclusion - call me awkward but shooting myself in the foot isn't one of my favourite pass times. The vote either way was always an absurdity in that asking the uninformed and unreasoning populace to make an informed and reasoned decision to the most ridiculous of questions was a non-starter. I regard the choice as presented to be along the lines of "Would you prefer to drink acid or slowly stick kebab skewers in both your eyes?" but had there been a petition or a referendum to demand parliamentary debate on the whole issue of the terms of our EU membership, I would have voted "yes" in an instant.

The whole Brexit issue is pack of lies from both sides of the fence as in reality it has never been a binary issue - our relationship with the nations of Europe was and is not defined by our membership of the EU just as it won't be defined by once again not being members. What started to happen the moment the votes were in is a process that can only end in the general consensus that the current government/parliament/ the UK political system is incapable of resolving the issue to the satisfaction of a clear majority.

So, to recap - the country was conned when we joined, conned during our membership and conned as we leave and these star performances were not inflicted on us by the nasty foreigners but by our own dear politicos. Rest assured, the con will continue after we've left and to my mind it'll be a toss-up as to whether any of the benefits of that membership will be retained or even understood until after they've dissolved in the new post-Cock Up reality. 40 odd years down the drain with bugger all to show for it. ....and just think of the next round of choices that are about to be presented: Rees fucking Mogg, Corbyn the Cretin and the UKIP comedy show. So go ahead, spin the wheel and make your bets because they don't matter - the House always wins.
I like the way your swearing comes through in clear, mine always seem to be f***ed *p whenever I talk about the sh*****w that is the **. What a bunch of *ssh*l* *uc*w*ts we have running the country and the **.

See what I mean, for *uc*s sake.

cantagril

2,465 603
I like the way your swearing comes through in clear, mine always seem to be f***ed *p whenever I talk about the sh*****w that is the **. What a bunch of *ssh*l* *uc*w*ts we have running the country and the **.

See what I mean, for *uc*s sake.

Hmm.

I do indeed see what you mean. Not quite sure what's happening there...maybe as I don't tend to asterisk the f*ck out of my posts on a regular basis that I've given the Higher Powers a misleading impression. Anyway, I'm glad you got something useful out of my rant. ...

Returning to the Brexit theme and expletives: in my distant youth I spent a few very enjoyable years in the antipodes and for some of that time I worked in Western Australia on grain handling camps in fairly remote areas - 100 plus miles to the nearest habitation etc. At one place (Watheroo?), I still remember fondly that amongst the miscellaneous draft dodgers, crims and wastrels from the four corners of the earth there was a particular supervisor. He was a true blue Ozzie, very laid back and laconic and amongst his multiplicity of skills (which included life-saving first aid for snake bites and injuries) he was able to use the word "f*ck" in all its forms and inflections to convey quite complex ideas. On one particular day, the crew that I was working on wrecked a grain elevator which meant some fairly serious down time and, as we stood round him while he got on the two-way radio to report in to base and ask for spare parts and tools, he resumed his account of what was wrong with the elevator with the following sentence: "F*ck. The f*cking f*ckers have f*ckin f*ucked the f*cker and I f*ckin don't f*ckin know how the f*uck we're gonna f*ckin sort the f*cker out before those f*cking cockies* f*cking start f*ckin turning up tomorrow f*ckin morning f*ck it. F*ck." The whole crew were most impressed by this display and applauded with one bloke offering him a warm beer on the spot. I think we were all struck by the way that he followed radio protocol to the tee simply substituting "f*ck" for "Base" at the beginning and "Over" at the end.17 times in one sentence! His name shall live for ever. Well, maybe it would if I could remember it.

*"cockie" was just local slang for farmer.

Atilla

Legendary member
19,046 2,680
So, when you return to Albion and take the sword out of the stone, I take it that we can expect a London bridge to become the site for decorative heads-on-pikes.....but where would you put Traitor's Gate? The main entry to the House of Commons perhaps? The beheadings could take place out front there which would give us a fairly short supply chain.
All this talk of treachery and beheadings is a little OT is it not?

As a matter of interest, do you not have a view about Brexit - as in in or out - or do you just enjoy keeping us all guessing?
Sir Canta is a closet remainer. Mindset is in flux. That's not a spelling error either. Too many signals and not enough minerals I expect.

NVP

Legendary member
36,767 1,880
i spent a few months working on sheep farms in southern australia back in the late 80s......sounds like my old foreman was related to the guy you described........every other word was an expletive....natural poetry at times !

i'm laughing just thinking about him
N

NVP

Legendary member
36,767 1,880
cant we get the plumbers to flood the house of lords as well...........that will speed the old farts up as the tide rises around them ....

cantagril

2,465 603
All this talk of treachery and beheadings is a little OT is it not?

Sir Canta is a closet remainer. Mindset is in flux. That's not a spelling error either. Too many signals and not enough minerals I expect.
You really don't want to know what's in my closet. It's a bit like the EU - If I showed you inside then I couldn't let you leave. That's just the way it is. We all have our peccadilloes, it's just that mine involve more violence and dismemberment than most.

There is a line in Jude the Obscure which sort of sums up what passes for my mindset: "Done because we are too many"..... only I tend to lean toward being a Do-er rather than joining the Do-ees. That's a little obscure(!) but when has anything on this thread made complete sense? Not you, Att', not you. In fact you might want come and check out my closet:giggle:

Signalcalc

Veteren member
3,806 802
I’ve got it you work for the Saudis [emoji16] Att you’re in safe hands [emoji23][emoji1360]

cantagril

2,465 603
I’ve got it you work for the Saudis [emoji16]
Nothing gets past you Sig!

Needless to say there has recently been a dearth of wet jobs since that unfortunate farce in Istanbul - you just can't get the staff these days. In my current contract-less state I've been driven back to freelancing so you might consider this as being an opportunity to erase a mistake or two. My rates are reasonable, discretion is assured and unlike some of my more butter-fingered clients the trail will never lead back to you.

Atilla

Legendary member
19,046 2,680
You really don't want to know what's in my closet. It's a bit like the EU - If I showed you inside then I couldn't let you leave. That's just the way it is. We all have our peccadilloes, it's just that mine involve more violence and dismemberment than most.

There is a line in Jude the Obscure which sort of sums up what passes for my mindset: "Done because we are too many"..... only

I tend to lean toward being a Do-er rather than joining the Do-ees. That's a little obscure(!) but when has anything on this thread made complete sense? Not you, Att', not you. In fact you might want come and check out my closet:giggle:
Do you mean you are a Do-errrrr sort of like this? (y)

What I don't understand is for a man of so many eloquent words and pearls of wisdom why you still running with the fox and chasing with those damn pesky blood thirsty hounds. If you don't errr have an opinion then one becomes pretty much irrelevant. I'm going to guess as before, coz you are a non-domiciled Frenchy lover you don't have the vote. :p

What a shame. :eek:

Reactions: Signalcalc