Brexit and the Consequences

barjon

Legendary member
10,332 1,570
Hi c_v,
As much as I'd like to think you're right, I don't think your reading of the situation is correct. It's all about concluding Brexit without leaving without a deal - if you'll forgive the double negative. That WILL unite the house on both sides. Labour MPs won't call - let alone support - a no-confidence motion if their party and leader are instrumental in reaching a deal that avoids no-deal. Mrs. May will end up doing almost everything she said she wouldn't do - but hey, what's new - resulting in a deal that doesn't please (m)any leave voters but is one that the majority of remain supporters (i.e. the bulk of the HoC) can live with. I'm afraid to say the game is up. Leave may have won the referendum, but remain will win in the end. Well done to At', barjon et al - you must be feeling happier this morning than you've felt for a good few years!

The only good that could, possibly, come out of this is that both the Tories and Labour get hit very, very hard at the next general election. It's possible that either UKIP and/or Farage's new party form part of a coalition government on the condition that we do Brexit properly.
Tim.
It’s not over until the fat lady sings, Tim. I agree that avoiding “no deal” is the single common thread.

If she’s successful in her latest ploy and she is going to live by what the commons conclude then the end result will be a Brexit softer than hers and people in your neck of the woods won’t even see fishing rights restored. The hard brexiteers have a lot to answer for, they’ve “wildly overplayed a weak hand” (as Daniel Finkelstein would have it) .

Reactions: Atilla

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,720 2,483
Hi c_v,
As much as I'd like to think you're right, I don't think your reading of the situation is correct. It's all about concluding Brexit without leaving without a deal - if you'll forgive the double negative. That WILL unite the house on both sides. Labour MPs won't call - let alone support - a no-confidence motion if their party and leader are instrumental in reaching a deal that avoids no-deal. Mrs. May will end up doing almost everything she said she wouldn't do - but hey, what's new - resulting in a deal that doesn't please (m)any leave voters but is one that the majority of remain supporters (i.e. the bulk of the HoC) can live with. I'm afraid to say the game is up. Leave may have won the referendum, but remain will win in the end. Well done to At', barjon et al - you must be feeling happier this morning than you've felt for a good few years!

The only good that could, possibly, come out of this is that both the Tories and Labour get hit very, very hard at the next general election. It's possible that either UKIP and/or Farage's new party form part of a coalition government on the condition that we do Brexit properly.
Tim.
Hi Tim,

I do wish you would stop giving the remoaners false hope. I fear it will just make their disappointment all the greater and enrage them even more when it all comes crashing down.

The game is far from up and I fear that you are placing too much faith in our largely discredited politicians to sort this mess out. Indeed, you might try studying the EU side in all this. Macron is on manoeuvres, possibly with the likes of Verhofstadt, to ensure that the UK does not achieve a deal

Reactions: timsk

Atilla

Legendary member
19,047 2,680
Hi Tim,

I do wish you would stop giving the remoaners false hope. I fear it will just make their disappointment all the greater and enrage them even more when it all comes crashing down.

The game is far from up and I fear that you are placing too much faith in our largely discredited politicians to sort this mess out. Indeed, you might try studying the EU side in all this. Macron is on manoeuvres, possibly with the likes of Verhofstadt, to ensure that the UK does not achieve a deal
There is a very disturbing thread to pretty much most of your posts CV. I don't know if you are aware of it but I suspect you are not as it is engrained in to your mind set.

Most of your argument rests on other countries and nations actions about the fruitfulness of your Brexiteer ill thought out ideals.

On one side you talk about taking back control and then on the other, it's all about what EU will do? EU will implode. Austria, Italy, France etc etc will turn to the right.

It essentially, means your view has nothing to do with control or real decision making in the UK but more rests at the hands of external influences you have no control over.

Just an observation... and don't forget to wipe that froth off your mouth as Macron will allow extension (y)

Atilla

Legendary member
19,047 2,680
SC it is clear to see you are CVs sidekick.

What do elections in Turkey have anything to do with Brexit?

Only parallel I can see is that they aren't very fond of EU either.
No surprises there as they are not fit for EU.

We need to focus on Parliament taking back control. Macron or situ in any other country is irrelevant to our predicament right now. Both your posts' smacks of desperation.

cantagril

2,468 606
SC it is clear to see you are CVs sidekick.

What do elections in Turkey have anything to do with Brexit?

Only parallel I can see is that they aren't very fond of EU either.
No surprises there as they are not fit for EU.

We need to focus on Parliament taking back control. Macron or situ in any other country is irrelevant to our predicament right now. Both your posts' smacks of desperation.
There are a number of issues with this:

1) CV needs no help in kicking the crap out of anybody

2) Elections in Turkey have everything to do with Brexit. When it comes to turkeys, few countries can out-turkey Turkey despite our best efforts and they are a shining example of populism in action and its many benefits and are showing us the way forward.

3) As for being "fit" for the EU...the EU isn't fit for the EU, Europe isn't fit for the EU - why on earth should we be fitter or even try to be?

4) Just because you is paranoid that doesn't mean they're not out to get you, Bruv. The EU, Europe and all the Europeans have been involved in a plot to do us down for many years, if not centuries. The live for little else and sleep badly if they haven't somehow done us down during the day.

5) "parliament taking back control".. a charming thought but was what they had before, anything that had any semblance of control, even in the steamiest of of all your fantasies?

6) Macron irrelevant? Paris being the capital of sartorial elegance, surely the French are kindly showing us the latest fashion in Popular Unrest Attire - an acronym just begging to be let out there. The "Gilet Jaune" will soon be de rigeur in the best circles....in fact I've already seen a few popping up here and there (mostly on construction sites so far) but the movement is building. France has a huge part to play in our future.

7) As for "smacking of desperation" - surely, that's pretty much the new norm. Most people have been driven to desperation as whatever they hoped to get out of Brexit (or not) is not going to happen. I myself have fallen so far as to break my multiple vows of silence, temperance and abstinence and have lately been drowning my sorrows in indifferent Albanian gin at the Dog and Leper - and it's not even a fresh saw-dust day. The Polish barista/barmaid/barperson/skivvie assures me that supplies will not start to run low for several days but she's already got a job lined up in Amsterdam and doesn't care.

I hope this has helped.....Well, not really, as I couldn't give a toss but hey, it's been a slow news day so far.

130 odd posts to go.........

Signalcalc

Veteren member
3,810 802
I too have been drowning my sorrows on the Playa des America’s a fine dose of hot sunshine and sea it is too [emoji1360][emoji23]

But I still have the energy inbetween tanning sessions to call out a traitor prime minister when needed.

A traitor to her country, a traitor to her party, a traitor to our form of a constitution, a traitor to our vote, a traitor to her promises, a Macron she is indeed to her own people.

Yes a traitor in every sense of the word backed up by majority treacherous parliament.

Cannot hand over the Brexit negotiations to those who want Brexit and instead hand the control to the opposition, what a losers joke.

The losers are in power in the U.K. Just as they are in Turkey.

cantagril

2,468 606
I too have been drowning my sorrows on the Playa des America’s a fine dose of hot sunshine and sea it is too [emoji1360][emoji23]

Show-off! not only warmer but I bet they have fresh sawdust every day.

But I still have the energy inbetween tanning sessions to call out a traitor prime minister when needed.

A traitor to her country, a traitor to her party, a traitor to our form of a constitution, a traitor to our vote, a traitor to her promises, a Macron she is indeed to her own people.

Yes a traitor in every sense of the word backed up by majority treacherous parliament.

Cannot hand over the Brexit negotiations to those who want Brexit and instead hand the control to the opposition, what a losers joke.

The losers are in power in the U.K. Just as they are in Turkey.

So, when you return to Albion and take the sword out of the stone, I take it that we can expect a London bridge to become the site for decorative heads-on-pikes.....but where would you put Traitor's Gate? The main entry to the House of Commons perhaps? The beheadings could take place out front there which would give us a fairly short supply chain.

Signalcalc

Veteren member
3,810 802
So, when you return to Albion and take the sword out of the stone, I take it that we can expect a London bridge to become the site for decorative heads-on-pikes.....but where would you put Traitor's Gate? The main entry to the House of Commons perhaps? The beheadings could take place out front there which would give us a fairly short supply chain.
They were the days, now we just pay criminals to decide our fate.

MP jailed for lying helped pass Bill to stop No Deal by ONE VOTE
https://mol.im/a/6885363